0% Confidence of Acceptance

People don't realize but Jazzy Jeff is considered one of the most influential and innovative DJs ever. People just think of him as this novelty musician because of "Parents Just Don't Understand," but in DJ performance circles, he's a genuine legend.

The first time I got a CD player, Weezer's Blue Album was *the* first CD I grabbed. That was shortly followed by Everclear's So Much for the Afterglow, Matchbox 20's Yourself or Someone Like You, and Third Eye Blind's Self Titled. If that doesn't scream "I grew up in the 90's" I don't know what could.

Whoa, are you me? Am I you? My first concert was Weezer opening for No Doubt in '97. I was thirteen...

Some of my favorite life moments have been impromptu singalongs to that 3eb album. I don't know what to make of that.

My first album, though, was "Jagged Little Pill."

I have tried not to post something on this topic because I thought it might be bad luck. However, I received my first rejection today, and my confidence has certainly been reduced to 0%. While I am happy for the people that are getting accepted, it still makes me feel miserable.

I have tried not to post something on this topic because I thought it might be bad luck. However, I received my first rejection today, and my confidence has certainly been reduced to 0%. While I am happy for the people that are getting accepted, it still makes me feel miserable.

Was it Pittsburgh? I'm expecting the rejection letter myself--I live abroad so it'll just take a few days longer to get here. We have a few of the same schools--what's your time period/focus?

I have also avoided posting out of some inexplicable superstition. But we're two weeks into February and I've heard nothing from anyone. So my current frame of mind is inching toward 100% confidence of 0% acceptance. Hello, my fellow neurotics.

I have also avoided posting out of some inexplicable superstition. But we're two weeks into February and I've heard nothing from anyone. So my current frame of mind is inching toward 100% confidence of 0% acceptance. Hello, my fellow neurotics.

It may make you feel better to know that I was told the bulk of CUNY's acceptances will be sent out next week. I got my rejection on Friday, so maybe you'll hear some good news soon!

It may make you feel better to know that I was told the bulk of CUNY's acceptances will be sent out next week. I got my rejection on Friday, so maybe you'll hear some good news soon!

Thanks for the info, cquin! And the optimism!

For those anticipating rejections and reapplying in the future:

how do you go about asking your LOR to hold on to their letters for the future? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like an annoying burden to them. All of the online application systems now seem to require a direct email from the professors themselves, so uploading letters to some folio service is out. Thoughts?

how do you go about asking your LOR to hold on to their letters for the future? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like an annoying burden to them. All of the online application systems now seem to require a direct email from the professors themselves, so uploading letters to some folio service is out. Thoughts?

Despite the fact that online application systems require direct emails, I still used folio services this year for all of my applications. It seems like folio services have adapted over the past few years too – they now upload your LORS to application systems for you (through email). If you do this next year and ideally save your professors some extra work, I'm sure you'll feel less awkward about asking for them to update their LORS. I've had to do that before, and, usually professors are completely understanding. They do need to actually update the letters, though. "Old" letters don't look great, from what I've heard.

Despite the fact that online application systems require direct emails, I still used folio services this year for all of my applications. It seems like folio services have adapted over the past few years too – they now upload your LORS to application systems for you (through email). If you do this next year and ideally save your professors some extra work, I'm sure you'll feel less awkward about asking for them to update their LORS. I've had to do that before, and, usually professors are completely understanding. They do need to actually update the letters, though. "Old" letters don't look great, from what I've heard.

so would you reccomend using one of the folio services, or simply just attempting to keep in direct contact with your reccomendors?

so would you reccomend using one of the folio services, or simply just attempting to keep in direct contact with your reccomendors?

Well, if you waived your right to read the letters, you'd have to ask your professors to upload them to the folio site anyway (to maintain confidentiality). I'd say to keep in touch with your professors, ask them if they would be willing to update their letters and upload them to the folio service, and then use them as needed for your applications.

Seems like you still have a lot of schools up in the air though! Try to keep hope alive!

Well, if you waived your right to read the letters, you'd have to ask your professors to upload them to the folio site anyway (to maintain confidentiality). I'd say to keep in touch with your professors, ask them if they would be willing to update their letters and upload them to the folio service, and then use them as needed for your applications.

Seems like you still have a lot of schools up in the air though! Try to keep hope alive!

thanks for the info!

the first CD I picked out for myself at the store was Ace of Base's The Sign.

That was my first CD too, along with Salt N Pepa's Hot, Cool and Vicious. I got both for my birthday to go with my big present, which was a boombox. I technically didn't pick them for myself, but they're definitely what I would've picked for myself at the time. I think the first one I actually bought myself was The Cranberries' To the Faithful Departed.

I would recommend a folio service. I used Interfolio, and it decreases the amount of work your LOR writers have to do. There are ways to deliver by email using Interfolio. I used it for all 14 schools I applied to last year. You will need to ask them to update the letter for you if you end up re-applying next year. Letters dated a year (or more) old don't look good. If they keep the origional letter, it can be easy for them to update if you send them a revised CV or something saying what you've added or done since the last letter, what the topic of your new SOP, or writing sample is, etc. I would also send them your SOP.

For me, this is one-time thing; there will be no reapplying next year. If I can't crack the 'top tier', then I'm out; my fatalistic outlook will read the rejections as a sign that 'it wasn't meant to be'.

Not that I'm from the country, but I would encourage people to consider places in Australia like Uni of Mel. and Uni of Syd. (according to the latest QS World Uni Rankings in English & Lit. they are placed # 14 and # 17, respectively, while Times Higher Ed. ranks them both in the top 20 for arts/humanities). They offer one year research MAs and three year research PhDs; funding at each is the same for both programs - tuition fees paid plus US$25k per year stipend.

Simple application procedure, no GREs or secondary languages required, and both are great cities. I got into MAs at both with funding, but decided for one elsewhere.

I am more than happy to answer questions about studying in the Antipodes: universities/departments/faculty/applying et cetera.

Hello - - Sorry if you already spoke of this - lots of pages in this thread!

What do you all think of the idea of emailing the universities (the admissions director or whatever) while one waits?

Recommended? Fruitful? Pointless?

At that point, it can only hurt you.

Don't.

What do you all think of the idea of emailing the universities (the admissions director or whatever) while one waits?

Recommended? Fruitful? Pointless?

At that point, it can only hurt you.

Don't.

Actually, one of my profs just recommended that I email schools about their expected decision timelines, being sure to mention my name. She said quite the opposite--familiarity can only help.

Whoa, are you me? Am I you? My first concert was Weezer opening for No Doubt in '97. I was thirteen...

Some of my favorite life moments have been impromptu singalongs to that 3eb album. I don't know what to make of that.

My first album, though, was "Jagged Little Pill."

Yes, some of my friends and I used to bust out into improptu singing of "semi charmed kind of life" with one person the reserved "do do do, do do dodo" person. Back when life was simple...

My first concert was about my freshman year of high school, but in my defense, I was sheltered as a child and got my first CD player in late middle school. Before that I made mix tapes off the stuff on the radio. Which was not best exposure. And "Jagged Little Pill" was an AWESOME album.

Actually, one of my profs just recommended that I email schools about their expected decision timelines, being sure to mention my name. She said quite the opposite--familiarity can only help.

Um. Your decision timelline? It's February 12th. Can you think of a *faster* way to say to stressed-out professors, "I am the center of the universe and why haven't you fit your schedule to suit my needs"? That is NOT the impression you want to give to potential advisors and dissertation committee members. (Much less the department secretary, a.k.a. your greatest ally and best friend as a PhD student).

This is something you can raise at, like, the end of March. Until then?

ETA: I'm sure we can all think of exceptions in which an earlier decision is not just stress-reducing but legitimately essential. But as a *general* guideline, the LAST thing one wants to do is think one is exceptional when ze is not--or more to the point, to give profs the idea that one thinks so highly of oneself. Apologies for the awkward avoidance of the generic "you"--I really don't want this to come off as criticism of any particular person, even by accident.

Edited by Sparky