0% Confidence of Acceptance

Yes, what is with this phenomenon that we already feel like we've been rejected everywhere when we've only been rejected a couple of places and there's still technically hope? Just part of the psychological torture of this whole process I guess...

maybe the worst part about this whole thing: I have multiple professors asking me on a weekly basis if I've heard anything yet. They all went through this--don't they know that's just about the worst thing they could possibly do? "Have you heard anything yet?" "YES I'VE BEEN REJECTED BY FIVE SCHOOLS I HAD NO BUSINESS APPLYING TO, THANKS." One even thinks it is a good idea to ask this question in front of the entire class, as if I would feel obliged to answer in any way shape or form under those circumstances.

maybe the worst part about this whole thing: I have multiple professors asking me on a weekly basis if I've heard anything yet. They all went through this--don't they know that's just about the worst thing they could possibly do? "Have you heard anything yet?" "YES I'VE BEEN REJECTED BY FIVE SCHOOLS I HAD NO BUSINESS APPLYING TO, THANKS." One even thinks it is a good idea to ask this question in front of the entire class, as if I would feel obliged to answer in any way shape or form under those circumstances.

EVERY. FREAKING. DAY. I've been avoiding my professors like the plague, staying as far away from the humanities building as I possibly can. But still, these profs manage to find me, and when all else fails they do ask in front of the whole class. UGH.

Really wish someone would have hammered it into me how difficult of a process it was going to be as a first semester senior.

I'm with you there! My experience was further complicated by work, an honors thesis, a full courseload (including three classes in spanish and a capstone English course), and that I got mono. If I don't get in anywhere, I'm going to blame mono. :rolleyes:

I'm with you there! My experience was further complicated by work, an honors thesis, a full courseload (including three classes in spanish and a capstone English course), and that I got mono. If I don't get in anywhere, I'm going to blame mono. :rolleyes:

Seriously. I took two seminars because I wanted to look good and, well, was interested in them and some sociology course outside the major for an interdisciplinary requirement which I obviously underestimated in difficulty. Not to mention spending an ENTIRE summer studying for the GRE, which of course I ended up wanting to retake... and then the dreaded subject test! And then having everything due during finals week, which I'm sure happened to you as well.

We're both in Mass, where are you for undergrad? Look like we've both been rejected by two Mass schools so far, too..

Seriously. I took two seminars because I wanted to look good and, well, was interested in them and some sociology course outside the major for an interdisciplinary requirement which I obviously underestimated in difficulty. Not to mention spending an ENTIRE summer studying for the GRE, which of course I ended up wanting to retake... and then the dreaded subject test! And then having everything due during finals week, which I'm sure happened to you as well.

We're both in Mass, where are you for undergrad? Look like we've both been rejected by two Mass schools so far, too..

I'm at Bridgewater State. And you're right - c'mon MA universities, we want to stay here (well, at least I do)!

I set up my schedule in the previous spring and summer in such a way that I only had to take three courses last fall, for the sole purpose of having more time to devote to the whole process. It was probably the only good decision I made.

Edited by thestage

I set up my schedule in the previous spring and summer in such a way that I only had to take three courses last fall, for the sole purpose of having more time to devote to the whole process. It was probably the only good decision I made.

I only have three courses (relatively easy) courses this spring plus the thesis, so at least work is more manageable this semester. I would wish that I did the opposite, but with course offerings the way they are (and three minors + major), I had to be super careful in making sure I hit all of my requirements. I definitely did not budget enough time for this process though.

I totally understand how difficult it is to apply while you're still in college, doing theses, taking difficult courses, etc. It's why I decided to take a couple years off after completing my MA.

That being said, however, I almost wish I had applied while I was still entrenched in academics. It's extremely difficult it is to put all the time and energy it takes into applications when you're NOT still in school and don't have the momentum of still being involved. It makes it that much harder to stay on top of professors (you know how impossible they can be to get ahold of, even on campus), perfect your writing samples, etc.

It also makes you feel like you're living this weird double life - still putting in 60 hours a week at your job, and then going home and putting in more hours on something that feels totally unrelated and like a pipe dream. To make matters worse, I teach middle and high school which takes an incredible amount of time and energy, and is a job that you can't do half-assed (or your life will be even more miserable). I want to constantly improve my lessons, assessments, etc. but then I wonder whether I'll even be doing this next year (and hoping I can go back to teaching college, which comes so much easier).

I thought teaching secondary school would be similar to when I taught college - I was SO wrong. It is much more draining, there are many more factors involved (classroom management, parents, national core standards, seeing the kids EVERY DAY), and it's just life-consuming. It's rewarding but not often enough, and summers off don't begin to make up for the stress of every week.

SO, in conclusion to my rant (sorry by the way), maybe I would have done things differently and applied while still in school? I don't know. The life experience is good but I miss academics terribly. Aaaand...done.

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I am hating this. I sent my best piece of writing (got a 19/20 in a Scottish masters program which only on vanishingly rare occasions gives 20s in the arts), got pretty good GREs (168/160/5.5 and 630 in the subject test), what I hope were good references, and personalised SoPs for each university - and yet I am currently 0/3 (and probably 0/6, if I count the unis that have already sent out acceptances and wait-lists)... I mean, I was expecting rejections, but practically bankrupted myself on these cursed applications.

I made the mistake of asking Tufts for feedback, and was told that my application was adequate in all areas but distinctive in none. That hurt (talk about damning with faint praise). The whole process hurts. I feel like if I could just have one acceptance, or even a wait-list, then I could handle the rejections... but it's really starting to hurt, and the 'shut out' feeling is beginning to descend. </rant>

I'm at Bridgewater State. And you're right - c'mon MA universities, we want to stay here (well, at least I do)!

I really do, as well. Well I've got BU left and you've got Brandeis, so here's to hoping we're both in Boston next year!

I made the mistake of asking Tufts for feedback, and was told that my application was adequate in all areas but distinctive in none. That hurt (talk about damning with faint praise).

I'm sorry to hear that. That hurts. I'm afraid this will be my feedback as well. I have a feeling adcoms are thinking-- This applicant is good, but overall just kind of "meh."

Good luck with the rest and hopefully something positive will arrive.

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I am hating this. I sent my best piece of writing (got a 19/20 in a Scottish masters program which only on vanishingly rare occasions gives 20s in the arts), got pretty good GREs (168/160/5.5 and 630 in the subject test), what I hope were good references, and personalised SoPs for each university - and yet I am currently 0/3 (and probably 0/6, if I count the unis that have already sent out acceptances and wait-lists)... I mean, I was expecting rejections, but practically bankrupted myself on these cursed applications.

I made the mistake of asking Tufts for feedback, and was told that my application was adequate in all areas but distinctive in none. That hurt (talk about damning with faint praise). The whole process hurts. I feel like if I could just have one acceptance, or even a wait-list, then I could handle the rejections... but it's really starting to hurt, and the 'shut out' feeling is beginning to descend. </rant>

Sorry, that sucks. I did my MA in England and I too feel a bit shut out of the whole process and when people talk about how having a recommender with personal relationships with people at the unis you're applying to sometimes make a difference, I feel even more frustrated and more isolated because I don't have any such contacts. Ugh. We can only wait and see...feels like neverending limbo.

I'm sorry to hear that. That hurts. I'm afraid this will be my feedback as well. I have a feeling adcoms are thinking-- This applicant is good, but overall just kind of "meh."

Good luck with the rest and hopefully something positive will arrive.

I feel the same--I know my application was strong, but did I get anyone excited about me, am I doing anything really different? Probably not.

Sorry, that sucks. I did my MA in England and I too feel a bit shut out of the whole process and when people talk about how having a recommender with personal relationships with people at the unis you're applying to sometimes make a difference, I feel even more frustrated and more isolated because I don't have any such contacts. Ugh. We can only wait and see...feels like neverending limbo.

A neverending limbo punctuated with moments of hellish pain. ;P