0% Confidence of Acceptance

I love the, "Oh, wow, that's a good school!" comment. What they don't realize is that every single school we're applying to has an acceptance rate of--at the MOST--10%. TEN PERCENT! LITERALLY, BROWN, HARVARD, PRINCETON, YALE, AND COLUMBIA WERE THE ONLY UNDERGRAD SCHOOLS WITH A SIMILAR ACCEPTANCE RATE!!!

My point is, to be accepted into a PhD program is similar (actually, often more competive) than being accepted into Harvard, Princeton, Yale, etc. So tell your parents, "I got accepted into _____ PhD program, which is more competitive than Harvard." That should help them understand ;)

Yes, good analogy. We have all essentially applied to ten ivy-league undergrads, statistically speaking. People need to respect. What.

GAH I know. Or worse, when you tell someone you didn't get into "X" university, which is normally thought of as a middling sort of school, but just happens to have a top graduate department in English, they think you're a moron.

Oh God, don't even get me started. NO ONE in the general populus realizes that CUNY even HAS a Graduate Center. So when I say I got into CUNY, they look at me like I'm going into continuing ed to become a janitor's assistant. Kill me.

Oh God, don't even get me started. NO ONE in the general populus realizes that CUNY even HAS a Graduate Center. So when I say I got into CUNY, they look at me like I'm going into continuing ed to become a janitor's assistant. Kill me.

Haha, I can relate when I said I was applying there. I guess I should put that in the glass half full thread: No longer have to explain CUNY's GC to friends/family.

I'm glad I got a raise at work...and a nice bonus on this last check because I have been doing some serious retail therapy. I haven't been this way in a really long time, but my fab new guess purse and flats are making me so happy right now. Even though I got them on the cheap at Burlington Coat Factory :)

Same here Lolopixie. I just got back from shopping. For a brief moment, the Tory Burch shoes I just bought make this whole predicament okay. Of course, I also have to remember if I start a program next year, there will be no more drowning my sorrows with clothes and shoes.

The "you'll get in because you're smart" from mom never seems to comfort anyone. :(

My favorite part of reading this forum (as bleak as it can be at times) is when you realize that someone out there shares your fears/excitements/annoyances/etc. as they relate to this hellish process to a T.

My mother always tries to comfort me when it looks like I might be heading into another breakdown. Typical line (said with absolute calm and no indication whatsoever that she understands either the gravity of my emotions or the statistical odds): "Aw, you know you'll get in somewhere." Which, I appreciate that I have a parent that is still trying to build up my self-confidence with me on the verge of turning 25 this week, but, in this case, it kind of just makes me want to punch a wall.

Edited by Bayo

Thanks for all the encouragement, this is a great thread and is definitely helping me out. Also, when I hear about one of you (or someone here) getting an acceptance, I'm starting to feel this wonderful sense of "Congrats! You worked your ass off for that and you deserve it! As for me, I tell myself, "It's their turn this year, it will be my turn next year."

I'm okay with taking turns. I really believe this will happen someday. I just do.

I just spent 5 hours helping my boyfriend grade papers and quizzes for his classes he teaches. All I could keep thinking is, THESE SHOULD BE MY CLASSES!!!!!! I should be in a PhD program now. I shouldn't have been rejected last year, and I should NOT be waiting now. I didn't realize that it would be depressing when I said, "no problem, I'll help you get caught up on your grading." Mistake.

Hey guys...I live a few towns over in history-ville. One of the folks over there said this was an entertaining thread which we would all be able to relate to- he was right. Just wanted to say congrats to those with great news, condolences to those with crappy news and a new set of fingernails/bottle of Tums for those with no news.

We relate 100% to what you are going through and we hope to share a class building with you someday...

Same here Lolopixie. I just got back from shopping. For a brief moment, the Tory Burch shoes I just bought make this whole predicament okay. Of course, I also have to remember if I start a program next year, there will be no more drowning my sorrows with clothes and shoes.

Yet another reason for me to splurge when I have the money! Because these are going to be my things for the next 50 years!

On 2/19/2012 at 6:57 PM, lolopixie said:

Yet another reason for me to splurge when I have the money! Because these are going to be my things for the next 50 years!

I just got home from Anthropologie. It was soothing balm for my ripped and torn heart. (I've heard nothing.)

Has anyone heard anything from the following schools: WashU, U of Oregon, U of Washington, GW, Northeastern, SUNY Stony Brook, Indiana (Bloomington), or UConn?

*sigh*

On 2/19/2012 at 7:30 PM, spasticlitotes said:

I just got home from Anthropologie. It was soothing balm for my ripped and torn heart. (I've heard nothing.)

Has anyone heard anything from the following schools: WashU, U of Oregon, U of Washington, GW, Northeastern, SUNY Stony Brook, Indiana (Bloomington), or UConn?

*sigh*

Waiting on UConn as well ... looks like they start notifying at the end of the month (26th-28th or so), with acceptances via email and rejections via snail mail

Spastic - idk what goes on with stony brook. I saw 2 acceptances-1 phone and 1 snail mail. They do have a small cohort so that could be it- no clue. I am from the area (kind of) and really like it there! Fingers crossed.

Thanks, jma! I think you're the only other person who seems to have applied to as many places as I did. Was it as painful for you as it was for me? :blink:

I just spent 5 hours helping my boyfriend grade papers and quizzes for his classes he teaches. All I could keep thinking is, THESE SHOULD BE MY CLASSES!!!!!! I should be in a PhD program now. I shouldn't have been rejected last year, and I should NOT be waiting now. I didn't realize that it would be depressing when I said, "no problem, I'll help you get caught up on your grading." Mistake.

This. Partner in a program already and I am waiting. At least the different fields help. And wine. Wine helps.

This. Partner in a program already and I am waiting. At least the different fields help. And wine. Wine helps.

I would just like to say that I love this thread. It is occasionally the only thing that helps me through the day. I'm riding 2 rejections with only 6 schools left, and I get the feeling no good news awaits me. Bring on the wine!

My boyfriend is in his 4th year of a physics PhD, and we're both approximately the same age. I've been working dead-end jobs since graduation. I feel like such a loser compared to him. He's like, "I'M LEARNING TO CREATE ENERGY."

And I'm like, "well, let me share my thoughts about Dr. Seuss."

He's like, "I'M LEARNING TO CREATE ENERGY."

And I'm like, "well, let me share my thoughts about Dr. Seuss."

I am obsessed with this.

I also truly, honestly believe that a reality show about the PhD waiting process would be a huge hit. It starts out strong and erudite, full of vibrant potentiality and perhaps ostensibly a bit "pretentious" (to quote another thread) to people outside the community. Then it slowly disintegrates into a bunch of highly intelligent people in their pajamas endlessly perusing online boards, crying over utter silence from schools when a new post appears on the Results Survey, blaming everything on ETS and an inability to downgrade to their crude Analytic Writing standards, checking our horoscope yet again to make sure we didnt miss any ominous subtext, drowning our anxiety in macaroni and cheese while drinking red wine, trying in vain to contextualize our apps by desperately reaching out to others in similar subfields, sharing elation when we receive an acceptance, self-medicating with whiskey when we don't receive funding, and then maybe submitting a drunk post or two about Downton Abbey or those idiotic Victorian women writers. I don't mean anything in that to sound negative at ALL, I honestly find myself totally amused by how neurotic I've become, and how, "Well when I was looking at these online blog things, I saw...." has religiously been a primer to most of my conversations (and mostly with people who could care less). I just think an unabashedly objective view of our emotional-trainwreck selves pouring our hearts out to our mothers/brothers/boyfriends/significant others/dogs and then paradoxically refusing their valiant attempts at sympathy by stomping out of the room to find *real* empathy in complaining online about how they "JUST DON'T GET IT!!!" would be both endlessly hysterical and intriguing. I hope I'm not alone in this. Or my despicable love for reality television.

Edited by andsoitgoes161

I am obsessed with this.

I also truly, honestly believe that a reality show about the PhD waiting process would be a huge hit. It starts out strong and erudite, full of vibrant potentiality and perhaps ostensibly a bit "pretentious" (to quote another thread) to people outside the community. Then it slowly disintegrates into a bunch of highly intelligent people in their pajamas endlessly perusing online boards, crying over utter silence from schools when a new post appears on the Results Survey, blaming everything on ETS and an inability to downgrade to their crude Analytic Writing standards, checking our horoscope yet again to make sure we didnt miss any ominous subtext, drowning our anxiety in macaroni and cheese while drinking red wine, trying in vain to contextualize our apps by desperately reaching out to others in similar subfields, sharing elation when we receive an acceptance, self-medicating with whiskey when we don't receive funding, and then maybe submitting a drunk post or two about Downton Abbey or those idiotic Victorian women writers. I don't mean anything in that to sound negative at ALL, I honestly find myself totally amused by how neurotic I've become, and how, "Well when I was looking at these online blog things, I saw...." has religiously been a primer to most of my conversations (and mostly with people who could care less). I just think an unabashedly objective view of our emotional-trainwreck selves pouring our hearts out to our mothers/brothers/boyfriends/significant others/dogs and then paradoxically refusing their valiant attempts at sympathy by stomping out of the room to find *real* empathy in complaining online about how they "JUST DON'T GET IT!!!" would be both endlessly hysterical and intriguing. I hope I'm not alone in this. Or my despicable love for reality television.

I am SO on board with this. But would it be the kind of reality show where the cameras follow the same people around for the whole season, or would it be a kind of University's Next Top Grad Student, with someone being eliminated every week?

I am obsessed with this.

HOW DID YOU KNOW?

I am SO on board with this. But would it be the kind of reality show where the cameras follow the same people around for the whole season, or would it be a kind of University's Next Top Grad Student, with someone being eliminated every week?

Yes and yes! But, I've been watching a lot of Planet Earth lately to try to distract myself from despair, so I can't help but picture another option where this is a documentary narrated by David Attenborough : "It's the middle of the night but the applicant is still awake! This amazing creature engages in a frenzied ritual of e-mail checking unmatched by any other creature on the planet. Beginning in late January and extending well into March, the applicant's e-mail checking season..."

Yes and yes! But, I've been watching a lot of Planet Earth lately to try to distract myself from despair, so I can't help but picture another option where this is a documentary narrated by David Attenborough : "It's the middle of the night but the applicant is still awake! This amazing creature engages in a frenzied ritual of e-mail checking unmatched by any other creature on the planet. Beginning in late January and extending well into March, the applicant's e-mail checking season..."

"...the poor beast dons flannel pajamas and pulls close his/her sustenance, usually an alcoholic brew, sometimes in a sippy cup, and curls up onto the sofa or bed with his/her laptop. The creature gathers small comforts about it, including fuzzy socks, a remote control, an iPod, and bags of unnatural, corn-syrup filled snacks. Dehydrated and desperate, the creature attempts to validate itself with its own community, forming bonds with those who have the same unstable mental state. Clustering together, shivering and huddling in their own living spaces, these animals are reduced to piles of clothes, empty food containers, and drained bottles until they begin to emerge at the end of March..."

This discussion reminds me of a game I play with some of my fellow grad students: "find the grad student." Pro tip: look for the smelly, disheveled one. Bonus points if said grad student is double-fisting coffee beverages.