PhD in I/O Psychology Fall 2012

Akruti

I moved up to PA too, so I am right with you regarding the snow and cold. That's awesome how that worked out with your brother that'll save you a pretty penny. ASU? He didn't follow you to Champaign?

I got one second author in on a poster, so I don't really have to present either! I'm always down for some good micro-brew and Cali has some of the finest. Are you planning on trying to do that Wednesday or planning on leaving the conference early one of the days? It looks like Stone is a little bit of a hike but I love me some Ruination. We'll definitely have to catch up. Party again Saturday night? Make it 3 crashes in a row, lol.

We were thinking we'd play hookey on Saturday afternoon, but we get in at like 10:45 on Wednesday so that may not be a bad idea either... I'm definitely pro party crashing-- I'll send you our info when I figure it out :)

I have now been wait-listed at 4 of the 9 I/O PhD programs I've applied to (UMSL, Penn State, GW, and USF). Although I am still waiting to hear back since interviewing for CUNY graduate center, it is frustrating to have not been formally accepted anywhere as of yet. Can anyone relate to this/have any idea what my chances should be of getting into at least one of these schools? I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks for the info goodluck. I have my fingers crossed.

Erik, I think you have a very good chance of getting into one of the four. Have you emailed and asked what your position on the waitlist is? Sometimes they will tell you how good your chances are. Depending on the program, if you are in the top 3-5 spots, you probably have an excellent chance. If you look at the program details on the SIOP website, it will tell you how many applications they receive vs. how many offers they make and how many students actually end up attending. So for example, UMSL usually receives 75 applications, makes 12 offers, and 5 students actually enroll. Theoretically, that means that if you were one of the top seven spots on the waitlist, you got in. Hope this helps some. Try to stay calm!

I can relate Erik. I applied to six schools, and so far I have 2 waitlists (UMSL, UCF), 1 rejection (USF), and a visit with SLU tomorrow with nothing official either way. I am still waiting to hear from FIU and FIT. Part of the anxiety comes from I-O being one of the last types of programs releasing information.

Even without being accepted yet I still am confident that I will get in somewhere. A person can only attend one program and we just have to wait for everyone to decline the programs they are not planning on attending.

Just out of curiousity since my undergrad is here at USF, who is your POI for those waitlisted?

One thing I know I'm doing is holding on to my acceptances until after the recruitment weekends (early March), I don't feel comfortable with making a choice until after I visit the schools. Where I was waitlisted was my top choice, and so I asked the program when they were inviting people out so I had an idea of when maybe people will start declining.

Edit: I asked a grad student at USF how often they go to the waitlist, and she said it depends on the year, but she said iif your waiting on USF to see if you should take an offer somewhere else, you can contact the USF contact person to inquire where you are on the wailist.

Edited by Gibbas

I can relate Erik. I applied to six schools, and so far I have 2 waitlists (UMSL, UCF), 1 rejection (USF), and a visit with SLU tomorrow with nothing official either way. I am still waiting to hear from FIU and FIT. Part of the anxiety comes from I-O being one of the last types of programs releasing information.

Even without being accepted yet I still am confident that I will get in somewhere. A person can only attend one program and we just have to wait for everyone to decline the programs they are not planning on attending.

That's one of the things I would strongly recommend doing. For example if you have 2 acceptances and are still waiting on more but know you would pick one of your acceptances over the other I would recommend letting that program know you will not be attending. I'm not saying you should do this right away, but by the end of February-early March you should really only be holding 1 acceptance. I've seen people hold 5-6 acceptances until April 15th and then make a decision. That can be a huge pain because then schools have to go to the waitlist and often people that were on the waitlist needed to accept at another school because the offer to their first or second choice which they were on the waitlist for never came.

I would just strongly recommend being courteous to others. After all...look at all the people here that are on a waitlist already hoping to get in, or hoping to get into their first choice.

Thanks everyone for words of encouragement and advice. I know that I will most likely have to wait until mid March or so before I really know what my options are. In the meantime, I guess I will just try not to think about where I am going to spend the next 6 years of my life...

Good luck everyone!