PhD in I/O Psychology Fall 2012

Akruti

I had some questions and thought this might be a good place to post them since I am specifically talking about I/O programs.

1) Do most of the I/O programs require visits and meetings like other programs? I thought there might be a phone interview or something, but I had not made plans for traveling out of state? Should I be?

2) I have not heard decisions from any schools? Could that be a good sign that I have not gotten a rejection letter that I might be right there in the mix?

I probably have too many things going on in my head right now and I don't want to call schools and have them just tell me I didn't get in.

Thanks for the help and congrats to the people who have got their spot for next year. Must be an awesome feeling.

I had some questions and thought this might be a good place to post them since I am specifically talking about I/O programs.

1) Do most of the I/O programs require visits and meetings like other programs? I thought there might be a phone interview or something, but I had not made plans for traveling out of state? Should I be?

2) I have not heard decisions from any schools? Could that be a good sign that I have not gotten a rejection letter that I might be right there in the mix?

I probably have too many things going on in my head right now and I don't want to call schools and have them just tell me I didn't get in.

Thanks for the help and congrats to the people who have got their spot for next year. Must be an awesome feeling.

Hey Gradguy,

By no means am I an expert on the process, but perhaps my experiences thus far will answer your questions..

1) From what I have heard, in-person interviews in I/O are not very common. The only program I have heard about doing in-person interviews is Old Dominion. I also thought phone interviews were relatively uncommon in I/O. Judging from some of the posters in this thread, Clemson is one of a few programs that do in fact do phone interviews. As far as visits go, I do not know that any program actually REQUIRES that you visit either prior to or just after accepting their offer (I could be wrong). If a program does want you to fly out, they will most likely pay for your flight.

2) Most programs have not sent out decisions at this point. I am still waiting to hear from 5 programs. I too applied to Clemson, and it seems that phone interviews have already gone out to a subset of the applicants. In this case, I am thinking that a rejection from them is imminent, and they have yet to send them out.

I also applied to VT and Auburn, and still no word if it makes you feel any better!

Quader is right on with his post. Out of all my programs, the only one that even mentioned a pre-visit was Florida Tech. Even then it was just a recommendation. I flew out there on my own money and have yet to find out an answer if it was worth it since their deadline was Feb 1st and they have not yet sent out any answers.

Well, its nice not to have to worry about visits and interviews. I just checked a few of my school sites and they mentioned 4-6 weeks, so I guess we could be in for a wait. I'll just sit tight. Thanks for the helpful comments.

Not sure if this means anything but I just got invited to the Graduate Open House at St. Louis University on March 7th.

Seems like good news to me! I'm sure you'll get a more telling email in the next couple days...

So much for my theory that nothing happens at night..

1) From what I have heard, in-person interviews in I/O are not very common. The only program I have heard about doing in-person interviews is Old Dominion. I also thought phone interviews were relatively uncommon in I/O. Judging from some of the posters in this thread, Clemson is one of a few programs that do in fact do phone interviews. As far as visits go, I do not know that any program actually REQUIRES that you visit either prior to or just after accepting their offer (I could be wrong). If a program does want you to fly out, they will most likely pay for your flight.

This is partially right. Penn State switched acceptance models last year, which we are also following this year in having a larger pool visit for the weekend and then making decisions. It's not hard core interview-y though, like some schools. Purdue has also done interviews in the past for I/O, though I don't know if they're doing them again this year. It seems to be becoming more comon; I know other schools are contemplating switching models.

Edit: We do reimburse for travel.

Edited by paiged2

Paiged2,

Did Penn State already send out invites for interview weekend?

Yes. Just as general info, Penn State averages about 90 applicants a year, and this year we recieved 150 (and from our faculty talking to other programs, it seemed that they saw some level of increase, roughly about 10%, but nothing as substantial as ours). The faculty also said there was a large increase in terms of quality this year, too. I know it was a very difficult set of decisions. A lot of very qualified candidates did not get invitations.

Yes. Just as general info, Penn State averages about 90 applicants a year, and this year we recieved 150 (and from our faculty talking to other programs, it seemed that they saw some level of increase, roughly about 10%, but nothing as substantial as ours). The faculty also said there was a large increase in terms of quality this year, too. I know it was a very difficult set of decisions. A lot of very qualified candidates did not get invitations.

going to SIOP this year?

It should be a lot of fun!

going to SIOP this year?

It should be a lot of fun!

That I am! Not presenting this year, but unfortunately that's just how things turned out this year. With the snow we're currently getting, I am dreaming of San Diego. It works out nicely because my brother graduates 3 days later from ASU, so I only need to do one big cross country trip this summer.

Looks like we're planning on doing beer adventures at some point (Stone, Port, Lost Abbey, etc) if you're interested.

That I am! Not presenting this year, but unfortunately that's just how things turned out this year. With the snow we're currently getting, I am dreaming of San Diego. It works out nicely because my brother graduates 3 days later from ASU, so I only need to do one big cross country trip this summer.

Looks like we're planning on doing beer adventures at some point (Stone, Port, Lost Abbey, etc) if you're interested.

I moved up to PA too, so I am right with you regarding the snow and cold. That's awesome how that worked out with your brother that'll save you a pretty penny. ASU? He didn't follow you to Champaign?

I got one second author in on a poster, so I don't really have to present either! I'm always down for some good micro-brew and Cali has some of the finest. Are you planning on trying to do that Wednesday or planning on leaving the conference early one of the days? It looks like Stone is a little bit of a hike but I love me some Ruination. We'll definitely have to catch up. Party again Saturday night? Make it 3 crashes in a row, lol.

Edited by iopsych

I was notified that I was accepted to the University of Tulsa's PhD program this morning.

Also, Saint Louis University informed me that they are still making decisions and that letters should be sent to applicants in about two weeks.

@cialath: Who is your POI?

Edited by ATJacks