PhD in I/O Psychology Fall 2012

Akruti

Hello all,

I will be applying for Fall 2012 for PhD in I/O Psychology. I have completed my B.A. and M.A. in Clinical Psychology from India.

Following are my credentials:

1) B.A. Psychology GPA - 3.9

2) M.A. Clinical Psychology GPA - 4.0

3) New GRE range - Q - 500-600; V - 370-470

4) TOEFL yet to be taken

* Currently working on a Cross-Cultural Research under the Head of the Department of my University Department of Psychology.

*Was a part of a research related to Social Psychology at the Bachelor's level.

* I have worked as a School Counselor for a period of 6 months.

* I have strong extra-curricular activities.

Drawbacks:

* Did a non-thesis Masters

* Low GRE

* No paper presentations/publications

I am thinking of applying to the following Universities:

University of Houston, Georgia Tech, Illinois Institute of Technology, NCSU, Purdue, University of South Florida, University of Georgia, Bowling Green State University and Colorado State University.

Are these too ambitious? Could anyone help me out in suggesting some other Universities?

Thank you! :)

If the GRE scores are comparable to past scores, then yours are way too low. 1200+ is really what the top schools look for, even mid-tier schools I would think want at LEAST 1100. On top of that your past experience and lack of research experience will really hurt you. I would seriously consider retaking the GRE

If the GRE scores are comparable to past scores, then yours are way too low. 1200+ is really what the top schools look for, even mid-tier schools I would think want at LEAST 1100. On top of that your past experience and lack of research experience will really hurt you. I would seriously consider retaking the GRE

Thank you for the reply, I was just wondering how much would the GPA matter? Because I have been a topper all throughout my Bachelor's(Rank 1)and Masters Courses(Rank 3), How much would that help me?

I would agree with this. I would say 1200 is the minimum at a lot of those schools. Even the decent I/O PhD programs expect a 1200. I would say 1200+ is the normal range for funded I/O PhD programs. Grades seem to matter less, because they are not comparable across candidates. But they definitely will not hurt you.

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I am also applying for I/O psych Ph.D programs during Fall 2012. I am currently a senior psychology major at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln which, unfortunately, has no I/O program or faculty. I was advised to get a business minor and have also been involved with a social psych lab that does research on sexual harassment and other workplace issues. I have a 3.8 cumulative GPA and a 4.0 psych GPA. I am a Regent Scholar and am going be starting an Honors Thesis research project next semester. I plan on applying to the following programs:

Depaul University

University of Maryland

Old Dominion

University of Nebraska-Omaha

Claremont Graduate University

Michigan State

Clemson

University of South Florida

North Carolina State

Portland State

University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign

University of Central Florida

Colorado State

Bowling Green

Purdue

I would love to hear from any others who are applying in 2012, or any who have been through/know about any of these programs.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all! I am also applying for I/O psych Ph.D programs during Fall 2012. I am currently a senior psychology major at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln which, unfortunately, has no I/O program or faculty. I was advised to get a business minor and have also been involved with a social psych lab that does research on sexual harassment and other workplace issues. I have a 3.8 cumulative GPA and a 4.0 psych GPA. I am a Regent Scholar and am going be starting an Honors Thesis research project next semester. I plan on applying to the following programs: Depaul University University of Maryland Old Dominion University of Nebraska-Omaha Claremont Graduate University Michigan State Clemson University of South Florida North Carolina State Portland State University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign University of Central Florida Colorado State Bowling Green Purdue I would love to hear from any others who are applying in 2012, or any who have been through/know about any of these programs.

Sounds like you've got quite a list!

I applied to DePaul and BGSU in 2009 (along with a few others) in I/O psych and was pretty much waitlisted across the board. I got two consolation MA offers (unfunded) so took a break to get some experience and I'm applying again to I/O programs, but none of those schools this round.

Just for comparison, when I applied fresh out of undergrad I had 3.96 GPA cumulative, 4.0 in Psych, 5 research papers and conference presentations (3 paper presentations, 2 posters, 3 as first author but only 1 really related to I/O), Psi Chi membership and had acted as VP and President for our chapter, awesome LORs and 90th percentile on Major Field Test.

I also had incredibly depressing GRE scores (550/72% verbal, 580/40%(!) quant, 4.5/72% AW), hadn't taken the GRE Subject and was coming from a very little known liberal arts school. I'll also admit my SOP wasn't my best piece of writing and I didn't contact any professors before applying.

I got waitlisted at both BGSU and DePaul even with those depressing scores and a crappy SOP which didn't really detail any of my interests well. It sounds like you've got the same kind of research background and GPA. I'd definitely recommend a higher GRE than what I applied with and, above all, a very clearly defined SOP. This round I also contacted all the profs I was interested in and got a good score on the Psych GRE, which I'm hoping will boost my apps this time.

Good luck with your schools!

Sounds like you've got quite a list!

I applied to DePaul and BGSU in 2009 (along with a few others) in I/O psych and was pretty much waitlisted across the board. I got two consolation MA offers (unfunded) so took a break to get some experience and I'm applying again to I/O programs, but none of those schools this round.

Just for comparison, when I applied fresh out of undergrad I had 3.96 GPA cumulative, 4.0 in Psych, 5 research papers and conference presentations (3 paper presentations, 2 posters, 3 as first author but only 1 really related to I/O), Psi Chi membership and had acted as VP and President for our chapter, awesome LORs and 90th percentile on Major Field Test.

I also had incredibly depressing GRE scores (550/72% verbal, 580/40%(!) quant, 4.5/72% AW), hadn't taken the GRE Subject and was coming from a very little known liberal arts school. I'll also admit my SOP wasn't my best piece of writing and I didn't contact any professors before applying.

I got waitlisted at both BGSU and DePaul even with those depressing scores and a crappy SOP which didn't really detail any of my interests well. It sounds like you've got the same kind of research background and GPA. I'd definitely recommend a higher GRE than what I applied with and, above all, a very clearly defined SOP. This round I also contacted all the profs I was interested in and got a good score on the Psych GRE, which I'm hoping will boost my apps this time.

Good luck with your schools!

Yes, I definitely have a list going. Most have advised me to apply to 10-15 schools, so I picked the ones with faculty who share my interests. Thank you very much for your feedback! It's crazy to think that one can have those kinds of grades and not get in. It really puts into perspective how important the GRE scores must be. *sigh* If you don't mind me asking, how long did you study for the GRE? I was planning on 3 months, but do you think that's enough? I'm glad to hear you are not giving up and are reapplying!

Yes, I definitely have a list going. Most have advised me to apply to 10-15 schools, so I picked the ones with faculty who share my interests. Thank you very much for your feedback! It's crazy to think that one can have those kinds of grades and not get in. It really puts into perspective how important the GRE scores must be. *sigh* If you don't mind me asking, how long did you study for the GRE? I was planning on 3 months, but do you think that's enough? I'm glad to hear you are not giving up and are reapplying!

Definitely second the opinion to apply only to schools with faculty who share your interests!

Ahaha, my GPA is good but I think even more than the abysmal GRE scores it was the SOP that killed me. Even with my scores I got invited out to an interview weekend at one place and had a good amount of interest in my apps (I only actually applied to 5 places, but I was waitlisted at 4 of them which is better than I think I deserved!), so I'm thinking those scores at least met the cutoff for a decent review. If I had more clearly defined interests and had actually bothered to match myself well with faculty I think I could have had a better showing. No one wants a student with no clue what they're interested in, and I'm sure that's how I presented myself at the time.

To be honest, my GRE showing really was my own fault. I got distracted with plenty of unimportant side interests that summer, so even though I had a few books to study from I didn't open them more than a week before the test. To be completely honest, I didn't even complete one full length practice test and only got about 1/10th of the way through my review. I'd say three months is more than enough as long as you stick to it daily!

Hi guys,

I've been carefully reading your posts, as I am also interested in I/O Psychology, in my case for masters program. Two days ago I have re-taken the GRE and I scored 154 (64% percentile) on verbal and 152 (61% percentile) on quant. Since the first attempt was disastrous (40% v & 49% quant), now I am pretty satisfied with the results of the 2nd try. However I would be very interesting in learning your opinions and feedback.

My gpa is around 3.6 (3.8 plus bachelor thesis), I have almost to years of practical experience relevant to the field, participation to national conferences, research conducted during undergrad years, as well as volunteer experience for an American NGO. Still working on SOP.

I plan to apply for as many universities I can afford. :mellow: Top of my list: Western Ontario, Waterloo Univ., Minnesota State at Mankato, Clemson, Uni of Tulsa, Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, Radford and Univ. of Omaha, Nebraska.

I would really appreciate your comments

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

To Everyone interested in applying to doctoral programs:

I know that many application deadlines have passed or are near passing, but below are a few of my pieces of advice:

1. Include two or three master's programs as emergency schools.

2. Also, I/O programs are statistically heavy. Therefore, having a higher quantitative GRE score will boost your chances of getting into a program.

3. Research experience is a must. It doesn't have to be in I/O. Professors just want to know you have some level of research competence.

4. Similarly, present your research even if it is at small or local conferences. They still count.

5. Contact professors before sending your application. Make sure you have similar interests and ask if they are accepting students for the next year. If you have similar interests but they are not accepting students, you will not get into the program.

6. Explicitly ask if faculty members will write GOOD letters of recommendation. Some professors will agree to write the letters but they may not discuss you in a way that will help your application.

7. Research the cities in which the schools are located. Remember you will be living there for 4-6 years. You don't want to go to a school that resides in a city in which you do not wish to live.

Hi guys,

I've been carefully reading your posts, as I am also interested in I/O Psychology, in my case for masters program. Two days ago I have re-taken the GRE and I scored 154 (64% percentile) on verbal and 152 (61% percentile) on quant. Since the first attempt was disastrous (40% v & 49% quant), now I am pretty satisfied with the results of the 2nd try. However I would be very interesting in learning your opinions and feedback.

My gpa is around 3.6 (3.8 plus bachelor thesis), I have almost to years of practical experience relevant to the field, participation to national conferences, research conducted during undergrad years, as well as volunteer experience for an American NGO. Still working on SOP.

I plan to apply for as many universities I can afford. :mellow: Top of my list: Western Ontario, Waterloo Univ., Minnesota State at Mankato, Clemson, Uni of Tulsa, Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, Radford and Univ. of Omaha, Nebraska.

I would really appreciate your comments

Thanks,

Univ. of Tulsa is a good school. They are one of a few masters programs that have full tuition/fee waivers for master's students.

Univ. of Tulsa is a good school. They are one of a few masters programs that have full tuition/fee waivers for master's students.

I did not know this! I looked at their website and couldn't find anything about a fully funded masters program. Is it just not something that they advertise (which I guess could make sense)?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone received any news so far? I have just been notified i am on the waiting list for Central Michigan Univ., MA.

No news yet, but I understand that University of Nebraska, Omaha's apps are under review now. I also applied to Claremont Graduate's I/O program, but am not sure about where they are in the app review process...

Perhaps it would be beneficial for all of the I/O applicants to list out all of the programs they have applied to, and update everyone else as they receive decisions (similar to past years). Maybe it will bring the I/O applicants out of the woodwork.

Applied (All PhD):

•Clemson

•Auburn

•Oklahoma

•Central Michigan (Accepted)

•Central Florida

•Virginia Tech

•Texas A&M

•Houston

I have not heard from any other programs at this point.

Applied:

I/O PhD-

Auburn

Clemson

DePaul

Univ of Oklahoma

North Carolina State Uni

Louisiana State Uni

Georgia Tech

I/O MA-

CSU Long Beach

San Diego State Uni

San Fran State

Applied Social and Community PhD-

Portland State Uni

I'm keeping an updated list in my signature, but for the sake of posting:

Applied:

University of Western Ontario

University of Waterloo

University of Calgary

University of Windsor

University of Guelph

Saint Mary's University

Adler School of Professional Psychology

So far I've only heard back from Adler, where I've gotten an interview. Ideally, I'd really like to hear back from Waterloo or UWO, but those may be a bit of a reach.