NYU Writing Sample: 10-12 Pages? WTF?

So, I've been thinking of making some last minute switches on the programs I'm applying to, and even though I think it's a great match, I'm tempted to throw NYU on the fire because of their stupid 10-12 page writing sample page range.

Seriously, how are other NYU applicants navigating this? I don't think it's possible to do significantly researched and explicated work in less than 15 pages, and even that is pretty short. Frankly, I have no 10-12 page papers, and I'm not going to take a hatchet to my 20 page writing sample and end up submitting something subpar that they hate.

Sidenote: Grad Center's page limit is 15, but I think I can work that. Still...

I agree--it seems like a strange, arbitrary page number: are they trying to be more open to applicants who haven't written 15-20 page samples? Or are they simply trying to make it more feasible to actually read more writing samples from beginning to end? Will I seem like an obnoxious rebel if I submit a sample slightly over the limit?

Maybe they are trying to test our capacity for conciseness. It just seems kind of funny to me, since for years before I actually did an independent study for my writing sample, I thought "none my 8-12 page papers will be enough to apply to graduate school!" In that way, NYU's requirement is somewhat friendlier to undergrad applicants, perhaps, and a bit annoying for students who went the extra mile to have a longer paper (by doing an undergraduate thesis, getting an MA).

Perhaps approach it as you would a conference paper. Just getting in that mind-set may help to whittle it down.

I agree with this. I was told by someone who served on an adcomm that they don't read the whole paper anyway. They read the intro, conclusion, and your Works Cited page.

So, I've been thinking of making some last minute switches on the programs I'm applying to, and even though I think it's a great match, I'm tempted to throw NYU on the fire because of their stupid 10-12 page writing sample page range.

Seriously, how are other NYU applicants navigating this? I don't think it's possible to do significantly researched and explicated work in less than 15 pages, and even that is pretty short. Frankly, I have no 10-12 page papers, and I'm not going to take a hatchet to my 20 page writing sample and end up submitting something subpar that they hate.

Sidenote: Grad Center's page limit is 15, but I think I can work that. Still...

I really suspect it's a test of our editing and revision skills. If you think NYU is bad, Carnegie Mellon wants TEN pages MAX. To quote them from their website, "Please limit the writing sample to ten pages in length. Do not submit long works such as theses in their entirety; send only an excerpt." Wtf? Every other program wants something in the 15-30 pg range, but somehow I have to cut that down to ten for Carnegie??

Perhaps approach it as you would a conference paper. Just getting in that mind-set may help to whittle it down.

I agree with this. I was told by someone who served on an adcomm that they don't read the whole paper anyway. They read the intro, conclusion, and your Works Cited page.

I may try that, but if I can't give them anything good, I'm not sure it's worth paying the $90 to send subpar work. Timshel -- I have heard sort of what you heard, but not nearly as drastically. I've heard they're not looking for your topic/subject matter/etc., but how you situate and formulate an argument, how you compiled your research, etc.

Still, for them to do this when almost every other school is 15-20 or even 25 is sort of sucky.

I may try that, but if I can't give them anything good, I'm not sure it's worth paying the $90 to send subpar work. Timshel -- I have heard sort of what you heard, but not nearly as drastically. I've heard they're not looking for your topic/subject matter/etc., but how you situate and formulate an argument, how you compiled your research, etc.

Still, for them to do this when almost every other school is 15-20 or even 25 is sort of sucky.

But you also have to think about how many applicants they have. Can you imagine reading all of those????? I agree that it would be hard. I know condensing a 25 page paper to a conference paper of 7 1/2 pages was a nightmare, but it really allowed me to get down to my main point, which is all they are really looking for, anyway.

I agree with other posters: it's rather difficult to say anything substantive in less than 20 pages or so.

The longest paper I've yet written was only 12 pages, so I guess that means I've never said anything substantive. :P

Edited by Two Espressos

I would say apply anyway though I agree that 10-12 pages isn't enough. I am working on SOP for NYU and I'm trying to include enough info on other substantial research projects so they will have a better idea of my research interests. Speaking of SOP for NYU, I am over thinking it. Any suggestions? Or would you be interested in swapping for edits?

I felt the same way about a 10-12 page limit! But since I've had my eye on NYU for a while, I spent the summer cutting down a 23 page paper to submit according to their length requirements. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that now it's a much better paper. What does this say about me?

OSU is 8-10 for undergrads applying.

I would probably just use my perfected writing sample, cut it down to whatever page number, and then write up an abstract. This is what I'm doing for some of my applications. I dunno if it is okay, but that's what they're going to get.

Everybody else is submitting 10-12 pages, too. If you can say something substantive in a conference paper, you can do this just fine.

This logic assumes that ad coms should be reading conference papers and not article length work. Not sure I agree with that logic... convenient for them because then they only have to read half as much, but in a publish or perish environment, article length sustained arguments are probably a better measure of whether or not the student will succeed in the program.

At any rate, I subbed NYU out for another program, but not because of the page range. It was a good match, but it was #11 out of ten schools I wanted to apply to. Avoiding having to trim the paper I'm sending to 9 other schools is just a nice bonus. :) *

*Sidenote: Wouldn't it be great if the page ranges for these things were standardized to be approx. 15 pages so that we didn't have to drastically alter the writing sample from college to college?

Edited by TripWillis

This logic assumes that ad coms should be reading conference papers and not article length work. Not sure I agree with that logic... convenient for them because then they only have to read half as much, but in a publish or perish environment, article length sustained arguments are probably a better measure of whether or not the student will succeed in the program.

At any rate, I subbed NYU out for another program, but not because of the page range. It was a good match, but it was #11 out of ten schools I wanted to apply to. Avoiding having to trim the paper I'm sending to 9 other schools is just a nice bonus. :) *

*Sidenote: Wouldn't it be great if the page ranges for these things were standardized to be approx. 15 pages so that we didn't have to drastically alter the writing sample from college to college?

If they're asking for 10-12 pages though, other students are going to be submitting either conference papers or significantly cut down articles as well. I guess I mean you're in the same boat as everyone else, except for the few jerks who completely disregard the limit and send in 29 pages. They probably SHOULD be looking at longer papers, but it won't hurt you that yours is short if the rest are, too.

But yes, a standard would make me VERY happy.

Edited by asleepawake