MPH CANADA FALL 2012 APPLICANTS

niche22

Hii @Anant,

There is actually no link to accept your core.But i believe that all enrolled students in MPH begin by enrolling in the same classes.Then as time goes by,each individual continues to pursue their concentrations.

i'm waiting to hear back from u of t health promo too!! so nerve racking! My friend applied last year and she got waitlisted and they hadn't even told her if she got in or not till June!! If you don't mind me asking what were ur GPA's/experiences for those who applied to u of t health promo?

Misgengen, smk17, and mph0000 - I'm with you! Even though I know it'll be another decade til we hear back, I can't help but check and dream about it every night lol.

And, misgengen, I guess we should take it as a good sign that we're still waiting for Waterloo since some others have gotten a rejection on Quest.

@Bloom2012.... I just need to ask that what is the need for PAWS for us right now?? Registration to courses is in june. And how do we evaluate our fees and everything?

@Anant @ Bloom 2012, I think we should wait for their next instructions about registration etc.

Hii Anant,

@Dentist24 is right regarding registration. I did call last friday and was informed that early familiarization with PAWS is of benefit to students in the long run.Yes,when registrations begins in June,there will be more instructions on how to do it.

Hii Dentist24,

I had done some research before regarding UBC, SFU, and USAK. Through some alumni friends and one professor, here is my findings. Both schools are a great research center, though U of S has more famous reasearch centers like VIDO, InterVac, and CLS. UBC has a high reputation with different great programs, but their MPH is too general. U of S has great programs too and their MPH is very elaborated. Both schools has great funding,however international students benefits from more funding from U of S. In addition U of S is the only institution in Canada with partnership with CDC in Atlanta USA. Also U of S is soon being accepted into the Association for Schools of Public Health of the European Schools (ASPHER). Hopes this helps!

Just to update:

Accepted: Uvictoria, U of Alberta (epi) U of Saskatchewan, Waterloo U.

Waited listed: SFU

Rejected: UBC

Waiting on: Queens, UofT, Memorial U, Guelph

Top 4 Choices: U of T, U of Alberta, Queens U, Memorial.

Does anyone have information on U of Albertas program compared to UofT?

Thanks everyone and best of luck! :)

Edited by MPHopeful

For those of you who did apply for Queen's, there were over 500 applicants and I believe they are aiming to select 20-25 students in the next cohort.

Misgengen, smk17, and mph0000 - I'm with you! Even though I know it'll be another decade til we hear back, I can't help but check and dream about it every night lol.

And, misgengen, I guess we should take it as a good sign that we're still waiting for Waterloo since some others have gotten a rejection on Quest.

I need to start preparing myself for the worst. I was feeling really good about waterloo but seems like everyone else heard back already. Maybe my experiences didn't exactly constitute as working mph experience? haha i kinda applied it as my safety school. really finger crossing for UofT tho even tho its crazy competitive. best of luck!

@ MPHopeful congradss! When did you hear back from U of A?

Hey! Thank you. UofAlberta asked me for a phone interview on the 23rd of march and the director told me over the phone that I am accepted and the letter of acceptance will take awhile to be sent out. I have not yet received the official letter. Best of luck!

Hey all, I just received informal acceptance to UofT´s MPH in Health Promotion. They haven`t yet asked for my official transcripts and my online status hasn´t changed. They emailed me. Here´s the email:

Dear
dr.p
;

Congratulations! On behalf of the Admissions Committee in the Division of Social and Behavioural Sciences, I am pleased to inform you that you have been recommend admission into the Master of Public Health Program (Health Promotion) at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto. This is not an offer as the final decision has to be made by School of Graduate Studies.

Within the next two weeks, you should receive an official notification of our offer from the University of Toronto.
You will be required to return your official confirmation form to the Graduate Department of Public Health Sciences, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, within two weeks from the date on which the official notice of our offer is mailed.

We very much hope that you will accept our offer. We are confident that you have a great deal to contribute to our program, in addition to benefiting from the time you spend with us. However, if you choose to make other plans, we would appreciate your letting us know as soon as possible, as there are many other applicants who are anxious to enroll in our program.

It would be ideal if you could let me know your intentions via e-mail upon receipt of this message at 416-978-7086 or (

Regardless of your decision, I want to congratulate you on being selected. Given that more than 310 applications for 35 openings in our MPH Program, you have placed in the top 10 percent of applicants.

Further details will be sent to you in the coming months regarding registration, background reading and other preparations for the new academic year. We look forward to meeting you in the Fall.

Sincerely,

Sent on Behalf of

Ted Myers

Head, Division of Social and Behavioural Health Sciences

Sandra Lang

Dallla Lana School of Public Health

University of Toronto

155 College Street, Suite 508

Toronto, ON M5T 3M6

T: 416-978-7086

F: 416-978-2087

Edited by dr.p

Congrats! Dr. P! Me too!!

So excited!

Congratulations mmmph! See you there? I stick out, I´m really tall. I`m ecstatic.

To those asking, I´m not comfortable posting stats for all to see but if you´re interested PM me and I would be happy to share them:)

Pretty sure I'm going to accept! Just got accepted to Guelph for MPH a couple hours later!

As for my stats...

I come from a soc background in Equity, African, and Women and Gender studies at U of T.

I think I have around a 3.8 for my last two years, certainly not outstanding.

I have done a lot of health specific courses, and 3 volunteer trips abroad.

I have a lot of experience in HIV/AIDS activism and I'm a don in residence.

I've also worked in research for the Ontari gov and for a prof, and I've done some advanced research for course work as well.

Congratulations mmmph! See you there? I stick out, I´m really tall. I`m ecstatic.

To those asking, I´m not comfortable posting stats for all to see but if you´re interested PM me and I would be happy to share them:)

Applied: Guelph, Uof T, SFU, McMaster (Msc Global Health)

Accepted: Guelph, UofT, SFU

Rejected:

@MPHopeful, I have applied to a bunch of MSc programs in epidemiology and any of those would be my preference over an MPH, although Toronto's program is really great. I only have until this week to respond to my offer from U of T. So I plan on accepting my offer but I may end up declining the offer if I get into another program. So stay positive, there might be others who are in a similar position!