Fall 2012 Season

Veilside1

Two weeks straight now of nothing, amidst 7 of the programs which I applied to sending out invites and acceptances... Time to throw in the towel I think and stop kidding myself. This really sucks.

Just remember, you only need one. And it looks like you have at least that. Options would be better, and you do have more waiting, but you're not out of the game yet.

I second Frostfire. Hopefully we are all doing this because of a love for our research and the desire to think about these questions for the next 6 years or so.

Veilside, is the waiting deflating your excitement about Buffalo or is it something else? You deserve to be excited about that!

Well, since I've applied to 14 programs and a good bunch of them have already sent out acceptances (from which I think it's logical to assume that those that have not said word to anyone--Harvard and Princeton--will also not offer me admittance) I am wholly disheartened about the whole process. I was really happy about Buffalo, but as more and more people hear from schools which I applied to and as more days go on without any word, my pessimism gets the gets the best of me. I love classics, and want to continue on, but it's hard, I guess, to maintain confidence in your abilities when you're getting turned down everywhere. I never expected to get in to all programs, but I at least want to be able to have a few choices.

I think it's the lack of word that's been more disheartening than anything. Which hopefully will end soon, and hopefully one of 100 times I check my email each day something will be there.

Vehemens,

I know, and I don't mean to come off as ungrateful. I probably should keep my OCD, neuroticism, and pessimism to myself. Also, it might be worthwhile to mention that this is time #3 applying to PhD programs for me. Once after my BA (all rejections), again after completing UPenn's post-bacc program (accepted to 3 MA programs, and wait-listed at the 1 PhD program I applied to), then after two years in the MA here I am applying again and so far it's not too fruitful. I guess my frustration is due more to this being my third round than anything else. I am sorry that things haven't been too positive for you yet, and trust me, I know what you're going through... Thanks though for pointing out that I should be more grateful than I am.

Edited by Veilside1

Vehemens,

I know, and I don't mean to come off as ungrateful. I probably should keep my OCD, neuroticism, and pessimism to myself. Also, it might be worthwhile to mention that this is time #3 applying to PhD programs for me. Once after my BA (all rejections), again after completing UPenn's post-bacc program (accepted to 3 MA programs, and wait-listed at the 1 PhD program I applied to), then after two years in the MA here I am applying again and so far it's not too fruitful. I guess my frustration is due more to this being my third round than anything else. I am sorry that things haven't been too positive for you yet, and trust me, I know what you're going through... Thanks though for pointing out that I should be more grateful than I am.

Man, that puts my first application season into perspective. No bites for me yet but I'll remind myself not to plot the end of the world if/when I don't get in anywhere. Hope you get some more good news soon.

Vehemens,

I admit, after three seasons I would be pessimistic and OCDing like crazy, even with the extra security of an acceptance at some program. I feel your pain. Makes me feel even happier for you that there's a light at the end of your tunnel!

Hell, I'm starting to descend into madness. I'm a double-BA, and as prepared as an undergraduate student can possibly be, but it seems like everyone here has at least a MA? Phooey.

I don't have an MA!

Veilside, I'm sorry you're having a rough waiting period. I understand, I really do! My husband got all rejections last year for his field, except for an unfunded state school. We didn't accept that offer-- he reapplied, and I decided to apply, too. Everyone is having their struggles in this process, Even though we're not in your exact situation, you can take comfort in knowing that we all have challenges of a sort, and that everyone here supports you.

I don't have an MA!

Veilside, I'm sorry you're having a rough waiting period. I understand, I really do! My husband got all rejections last year for his field, except for an unfunded state school. We didn't accept that offer-- he reapplied, and I decided to apply, too. Everyone is having their struggles in this process, Even though we're not in your exact situation, you can take comfort in knowing that we all have challenges of a sort, and that everyone here supports you.

Thanks! It's a tough process to go through, and it's not over yet. I think once some final and official word starts coming back in my mood will lighten.

Vehemens,

I think that your struggles don't decide on your value though... sometimes committees try to match students to their own research, so even if you're great, you might not find a place because of e.g. very original plans or ideas. so don't feel depressed, just pursue what you want to pursue and at the end your true value will show no matter where you studied :)

On 2/17/2012 at 2:49 PM, vehemens iter ad necem said:

Sorry to hear that; UW is one of my programs too, anxiously checking my email every 10sec now! Might be moot for you to discuss now, but if you don't mind my asking, what made you interested in UW Classics in the first place?

Sorry for the long delay in responding V.I.A.N.; I have been away from the forum for a few days! I actually applied to the UWashington. History program to do ancient history rather than classics and I was interested because of Sandra Joshel's work. My MA program director suggested that I apply to a few large state schools' programs since I applied to a lot of "boutique" programs that only admit 2 or 3 people a year (mostly ancient history via history departments).

I hope you got the good news you were waiting for V.I.A.N.! Keep us in the loop and good luck!

Is it my imagination, or does it seem like results are slower than expected this year? Looking back at previous years, it seems like there was more information out there by this point. I wonder how much the changes to the GREs are factoring into this.

Or maybe I'm just crazy because I keep hearing nothing. *sigh*

Looking at the programs that still have yet to notify, this week should be huge. Let's all keep our fingers crossed!!

I keep thinking that, but the floodgates have yet to open. I know a couple of mine don't notify until March (which is absolutely painful), but at this point I would really like the rejections that I already know are on their way.

Has anyone heard at all from AAMW?