Anyone else miss being in school?

storiaitaliana

I graduated this past summer, attended an MA program this Fall that turned out to be wrong for me, and now I am just here....waiting. I really miss being at school, having an inspiring purpose, being around and interacting with people who are learning, etc. etc. But I know I have to wait until the end of August anyway, even if I get into the places I've applied to, so...grrrr. At least it will feel better to know where I will be going and that I will be getting back to the life I want to have for myself. I'm also home sick today, so I am especially bored and wishing I had something engaging to do!

While I certainly do miss the intellectual stimulation of the grad-school environment and even though I would prefer to spend my days in that milieu, I actually really enjoy my 3-year-long "day job" (I've been teaching while my wife does her masters, just like she did while I did mine). I teach music in a public middle and high school, and it's a wonderful community, a great group of students, and some really wonderful music-making going on!

Also, during this exasperating waiting season, it really does help the time pass...

I'm in the same place, except I've been out of school for almost six years, working in an occupation that, at least for me, has been completely unsatisfying. Of course I started looking at doctoral programs right after I graduated, but for a number of reasons decided that I needed to make some (real) money instead. But I'm happy knowing I'll (hopefully) be back on course this fall. Can't wait to be in an academic environment again.

I'm grateful to be in school right now -- I took several years off from my undergrad and it was a surprising relief to return. I remember how much I desperately wanted to get out of school before my hiatus, but that was all because I just wanted to party (ahh, the follies of youth). I've since discovered that I never want to leave academia, I love love love the university environment. (Unfortunately, that somewhat conflicts with the applied career route I'm heavily leaning towards.) A week into this past Winter Break, I wanted classes to resume, if nothing else so they would give me something to DO, to focus on! So I know where you're coming from as well.

I miss it too. I think that this reinforces the fact that I made the right decision in going on to grad school. My friends think I am bonkers though!

Haha so do mine! I mentioned to an old coworker the other day that I enjoy being in school and academia, and she gaped at me in silent horror.

I don't miss school. I hated the schedule changing day-to day, hated having no end to my school day, with all the studying in the evenings after a long day of classes, hated having no money, and hated all the immature spoiled kids around me (I went to Brandeis for undergrad, those who went there will likely empathize). So my plan for grad school is to structure it as closely as possible to a 9-5 work day. Yes I can!! :)

I miss reading and discussing ideas, school vacations, and getting up later than 7 AM (my constant sleep deprivation in college didn't go away after graduation because it turns out I just like going to bed too late, but I'm STILL not a morning person). I really don't miss always feeling like I'm putting off homework, or the worry that after school people will see me for the useless fraud I am and refuse to hire me, or exams. So I'm excited, but also seriously dreading grad school...in most ways, my life is more carefree now than it will be then.

My life is considerably more carefree now than it will be in school. When I leave my job, I'm done, and free to do whatever I please without having to worry about writing papers or studying when I get home. But by that same token, I am tired all the time. I'm a night owl and sleep best from about 2 AM to 10 AM. I've been getting up at seven for the past year, and the weariness is really catching up with me.

Secondly, I really loved going to class a few hours a day and being on my own schedule for the remainder of the day. I didn't care if I had long papers to do as long as I could do them at home and while wearing a pair of flannel PJ pants. My days felt longer when I was on that schedule. As it is now, I wear uncomfortable dress clothes and have to sit in the same place for eight hours a day. By the time I get home, the day is nearly over. I'm just not cut out for it. I know academia is where I belong.

I have a lot of trouble being in one place for a set amount of hours (9-5 job). I thrive on a schedule that changes from day to day and requires me to change locations often. Also I'm most happy immersed in my own research and writing projects. So yes, I've missed school!

Being removed from academia these past few months since I finished my BA has only reinforced my belief that academia is the best environment for me. I miss everything about school, even the stress! Yes, I miss those late nights spent in the library, high on caffeine and half-delirious from lack of sleep, studying for an exam or writing a paper. My current work is relatively stress-free, and I'm trying to enjoy the free time while it lasts, but I do miss the pressure and the challenge. Oh well, at least now I'll be well-rested and recharged for round two!