UMASS - Amherst

Hey fellow-potential-UMies -- I got the official letter from the graduate school in the mail today, and I noticed it says "It is important that you [accept/withdraw] within 15 days of your acceptance." And our acceptance is dated Feb 12 on the letter.

Do you guys think there is something to this?  I mean, I'm just now planning some travel for some school visits that won't happen until mid-March, so I definitely won't be in a position to make my official choice before then.  I was assuming April 15 was universal, but that wording worries me.

I had the same concern, but it makes more sense once you log onto Spire. Did you get the email with your username and password? Once you register and log in, you can submit your acceptance; it will give you three options: accept your offer, decline your offer, or defer your decision until April 15. I selected the latter because, like you, I am visiting a few campuses before I make my decision!

Also, thanks for posting this info, JoshBarBlahBlah.

This is good to know -- I had made up a long list of questions and I was just going over it and then thinking that I didn't want to overwhelm them with questions ;).  Good to know that it should be more of a discussion anyway!

I just had my interview with Donna LeCourt--it went, I think, quite well. She's an easy person to talk to, certainly, and she seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say.

The main piece of advice I'd give (if it's not to presumptuous?) would be to make sure you have questions prepared for her. She alloted a significant portion of the interview to fielding my questions about the program. If I hadn't had any, the interview would have been over in less than 10 minutes. As it was, we talked for half an hour.

I had the same concern, but it makes more sense once you log onto Spire. Did you get the email with your username and password? Once you register and log in, you can submit your acceptance; it will give you three options: accept your offer, decline your offer, or defer your decision until April 15. I selected the latter because, like you, I am visiting a few campuses before I make my decision!

Oh, phew! I'm glad there's that third option.  Thanks for always being fast to answer my questions, ProfLorax -- you're like my go-to!  I wonder if this will be the case if we wind up cohort mates, too!  B)

Oh, phew! I'm glad there's that third option.  Thanks for always being fast to answer my questions, ProfLorax -- you're like my go-to!  I wonder if this will be the case if we wind up cohort mates, too!  B)

Aw, thanks! Although I think the reason I am so fast because I refresh this page ALL THE TIME. I'm working in the writing lab right now, and I scurry to the computer to F5 this forum after. every. single. student conference.  ;)

I'm curious: are ya'll going to visit UMass? I plan on going out there for a few days during the first week of April. 

So far, I've talked on the phone to a professor (Donna LeCourt) and student from UMass, and I have to say, it sounds like a wonderfully collaborative and supportive environment. Everyone talks so highly about the area, and I'm starting to get a good idea of how the faculty and students interact. I can't wait to visit! 

I've seen some rejections on the results board, yet my status still says "applied." I am losing hope with this one....

Don't!

I honestly think that their application revision process  takes longer than any other school.

I'm still waiting to hear a word from them.

Don't!

I honestly think that their application revision process takes longer than any other school.

I'm still waiting to hear a word from them.

Just got rejected. I knew I was not good enough for them. *sigh*

I hope you will hear good news from them soon, though.

Just got rejected. I knew I was not good enough for them. *sigh*

I hope you will hear good news from them soon, though.

Oh, no! I hadn't seen this. I'm very sorry for you.

I'm very bad at cheering people up, soooooo here's a picture of a golden retriever and a kitty:

article-1145423-0380D067000005DC-277_468

And remember, the PhDs adcoms are really picky when it comes to students. I recently got rejected from UChicago's PhD, so I understand how you feel. Now, I'm just waiting to hear back from UMass-Comp Lit.

When I was interviewed, I was told that they wouldn't start notifying until the middle of March (and that it might take until April). I still think this is a bit weird, considering the fact that the interviews took place over that one week... but I'd imagine they are also making decisions about the other teaching staff, and they probably just do it all in one go.

Admittedly, it would be nice to know sooner rather than later!

ok, phew, I was starting to get worried, and hadn't been on GradCafe in a while, so glad to see y'all haven't heard back about the TOship yet either.

I was debating emailing the writing program to see about timing of notification -- maybe I'll still do that this week if I haven't heard anything (since they have spring break next week).

Congrats, proflorax and ategenos! Do either of you think you'll accept?

I haven't heard from anyone yet, although I'm not as nervous about that fact as I could (should?) be. I can't imagine my interview went so horribly that I'd be declined--I am a rhet/comp person, after all. 

How were you notified--telephone or email?

Thanks, Josh. I was emailed... looks like, from Proflorax's forum post, about the same time as her. I'm probably going to accept... for one thing, my fiancee already goes to UMass... added to that it's great for American Lit and Cultural Studies (which, albeit with a little more analytic as opposed to continental philosophy, and modern science as opposed to antiquated pseudoscience like Freud, is what I want to do).

My other top choices... UConn... I really like the person who would be my supervisor there, and the money is a little better, but overall (and even the potential supervisor thinks so) UMass would be better for what I want to do. Boston would be awesome (the stipend is ridiculous, the additional funding for conferences and stuff is also just wow, and the Boston Area Consortium gives you resources and course options that the Gods themselves would envy, and the department has some killer faculty that I'd love to work with), but I am just wait-listed there, it would be one hell of a commute, and I still think UMass would be a slightly better fit...

... so all in all, I am thinking UMass, but still haven't made my final decision.

Awesome! I just sent an email to see when/if I'll be notified about the TOship. If I was, in fact, hired, I'll probably accept this week. If I wasn't, I suppose I'll go to Louisville or Nebraska...but I like UMass so much more.

congrats, JoshBarblahblah!

I'm bummed and a little nervous because I haven't gotten the official offer from the writing program yet :o.

I actually had a really nice conversation with my interviewer, and I have quite a bit of graduate teaching experience, so I can't imagine there was any problem with my application, so I'm wondering if it's more of a funding fit / teaching space thing?  It's scary because I really am leaning towards UMass as my ideal place, but obviously that can't happen without funding. 

I'm resisting the urge to keep virtually knocking on the Writing Program's door every day to check in -- "um, what's the status? why don't you guys like me?"

ugh.