UMASS - Amherst

I think CUNY is, actually... but I have some thinking to do. And I still have to hear about CUNY funding.

Honestly I probably would have gone to CUNY, had I gotten in.

But I'm still super excited about UMass! I got the official email today as well. And their email was really impressive and really, really encouraging. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you this fall!

Edited by Stately Plump

Honestly I probably would have gone to CUNY, had I gotten in.

But I'm still super excited about UMass! I got the official email today as well. And their email was really impressive and really, really encouraging. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you this fall!

I agree. It was a very good e-mail. Thoughtful and informative.

Hello folks, new to the site - got the wait list email from UMass this week. Did any one else have this issue - got your call for an interview w/ the Writing Program last week, then your wait list notification this week? I thought it was a bit out of order - getting one's hopes up...

Question for anyone who knows of wait lists - how many people do they usually wait list? Obviously varies school to school, but specifically for UMass, or an average, etc...? Any insight would be great. I got my masters degree at my undergrad institution, so the app process is a bit new for me.

Good luck to all!

Question for anyone who knows of wait lists - how many people do they usually wait list? Obviously varies school to school, but specifically for UMass, or an average, etc...? Any insight would be great. I got my masters degree at my undergrad institution, so the app process is a bit new for me.

Really tough to say. The wait-list could be as many as 18 (they accepted 18) but might be as few as 5-10. They probably have some sort of rank, so as people who were admitted go elsewhere, they get in touch with those on the wait-list. But as far as averages, I don't think any schools have those types of numbers, and they probably vary from year to year. In general, most schools probably end up with 30-40 students they would really like to offer admission to, but money and practicality dictate they only accept 15ish. There is really no way of knowing whose going to end up in, out, or wait-listed.

Sorry this isn't more help :unsure:

But don't lose hope! Consider:

For anyone else with similar questions, I did inquire with UMass. They just got back to me and said it's not super clear-cut - they separate waiting lists into concentrations, so there is no one overarching ranking system. They also said to check back in a few weeks and they'd give me more detail / their best guess about how things are going. Very encouraging and cordial overall! Perfectionism has me kicking myself, but I should probably be happy with the wait list (applying as a non-undergrad-major).

And thanks for your insights! Here's to more decisions coming in soon...

I just got another really nice e-mail from them. Very cordial and lots of encouragement to come visit and meet with faculty and such. It feels so nice to be wanted... *ahem* I'm signifying on you, CUNY.

Amherst is pretty great, a lot of the grad students here will tell you otherwise but you just have to give it a chance :) Or live in Northampton.

Do you mean the school or the town?

the town! I don't know anything about Amherst College. I like UMass a lot and the city of Amherst, but many graduate students choose to live in Northampton and commute (~20 minutes, unless you get stuck on the bridge). Amherst has that really great "larger" town feel, with not many chain restaurants or shopping malls, but a lot of great local food/commerce/shops/markets with the option to travel to a larger city like boston (~90 minutes) if desired. Oh and Megabus now runs to NYC for usually less than 20 bucks.

the town! I don't know anything about Amherst College. I like UMass a lot and the city of Amherst, but many graduate students choose to live in Northampton and commute (~20 minutes, unless you get stuck on the bridge). Amherst has that really great "larger" town feel, with not many chain restaurants or shopping malls, but a lot of great local food/commerce/shops/markets with the option to travel to a larger city like boston (~90 minutes) if desired. Oh and Megabus now runs to NYC for usually less than 20 bucks.

Oh, okay! I used to live in Boston, but I never made it out to Western Mass. Amherst and Northampton both seem awesome. I'd love living in Amherst!

katelynn- i'm also waitlisted but did not get a TA interview. i emailed Wanda Bak regarding this. eeek. what is your field btw?

I love Wanda. At this stage of the game I feel like we're old friends.

To answer your question, jma310 - my SOP outlines my research interests as the intersection between visual arts and literature, late 19th / early 20th century. My undergrad degree is in art and (almost) English, Master's in English education. Other interests include gender and cultural studies, contemporary Brit lit, and postcolonial. I've been teaching a ridiculously wide range of courses the past couple of years - prehistoric through contemporary art & lit, global and British/American, so my research interests have become equally as broad, in some ways.

Your field(s)?

Is anyone else in UMASS limbo? I've seen some people post that they are waitlisted, so I'm assuming all acceptances are out. Rejections are online, but I have heard nothing either way
:(

I'd say if you still haven't heard anything, it's a good thing. :) They are probably either deciding who is waitlist and who is rejection, OR they are trying to get a little more money so they can accept you!