Read Any Good Books Recently?

Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (who happens to be my favorite living author) and can't wait to read it ... someday.

Amazing book! She's one of my favorite living authors, too. Penelopiad and Alias Grace are my favorities of hers...also, her poem "Helen of Troy Does Countertop Dancing."

Amazing book! She's one of my favorite living authors, too. Penelopiad and Alias Grace are my favorities of hers...also, her poem "Helen of Troy Does Countertop Dancing."

Yes!!! She had me at Handmaid's Tale, but Alias Grace (and Blind Assassin and Cat's Eye and everything else) sealed the deal for life. I haven't yet read Penelopiad or that poem, so thanks for the tip! : )

84, Charing Cross Road by Helen Hanff. Another quick read, but perfect for restoring a love of literature after the soul-sucking application process. It's the true story of a correspondence between the author and the owner of an English bookshop.

Not an English lit person, but I recently read The Lexicographer's Dilemma by Jack Lynch and loved it. It's all about how conceptions of "proper" English have evolved since the time of Shakespeare, and what does "proper English" mean in the context of all the native English speakers who don't use it.

Since finishing the MA, I have been trying to read all of the Classics that I have missed through school and a rather focused BA.

Just finished "Woman in White", all three Hunger Games (my gf and sisters made me), "To Kill a Mockingbird", "The Thirteenth Tale", and about to finish "Turn of the Screw". Pleasure reading is awesome.

Since finishing the MA, I have been trying to read all of the Classics that I have missed through school and a rather focused BA.

Just finished "Woman in White", all three Hunger Games (my gf and sisters made me), "To Kill a Mockingbird", "The Thirteenth Tale", and about to finish "Turn of the Screw". Pleasure reading is awesome.

The classics are my absolute favorites and a go-to when I am looking for something to read. I love that Kindle offers many classics for free.

And, yes, pleasure reading is awesome. In fact, I am usually reading something in a foreign language for a class, and I find that it is very relaxing to have a book on hand that I am reading in my native lang simply for the joy of it.

Currently reading Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right by Jennifer Burns. I can't stand Rand's writing or her politics, but this book is fascinating -- it's more about the development her ideas and her influence on American culture and politics.

Now that my apps are in I am also looking forward to tackling Ulysses.

I've decided that this year I am going to alternate my pleasure reading with books I personally want to read and books I should have read by now as an English major. Of course, we all know there are books we have not even touched because the canons are just way too large and ever expanding. I am also going to "broaden" my reading spectrum.

I haven't had much time for pleasure reading with all these apps and work, but I did finally get myself to begin Swann's Way. I do this literally every break, get to about page 20, and then decide I don't have enough time for it. This time I've gotten about 100 pages through, and hopefully once apps are done and my class schedule is a little freer, I'll be able to finish it.

Me too am trying to finish Proust -- a few pages left for Sodom and Gomorrah...3 to go.

I am also in the middle of Leaving the Atocha Station--- saw an excerpt from a friend's update and got the ebook. So far so good.

Me too am trying to finish Proust -- a few pages left for Sodom and Gomorrah...3 to go.

I'm hoping to reread him, but I always get stuck in the second volume (my least favorite). But a really long book is starting to look like a great way to kill time.......I'm sure there's some good irony in there somewhere but I'm far too frazzled to suss it out.

1984 is one of my absolute favorites. I need to reread it soon.

I hadn't read it before. I really enjoyed it even though it made me feel hopeless.

Everyone needs their two minutes of hate. Especially during the application process.

Yes! I promise you this has made its way into my life. Just start screaming and throwing dictionaries and you feel better - who knew?

I'm reading The Madman's Tale now and I'm really into it.

Edited by lolopixie