"Dear POI, I am writing to let you know..."

Hopin'-n-Prayin'

"...that I have recently applied to U. of __. Pursuant to our correspondence from several weeks ago, I have identified you as a potential advisor should I be admitted..."

Good idea?

Bad idea?

Or: Dumb question because it must be done!?

I am definitely planning on sending these emails in the next week...

...thoughts?

Just keep it simple- "Following up our conversation several weeks ago, I want to let you know I've submitted my application. I look forwrd to the decision." Something like that is enough.

Edited by ticklemepink

MOO, I would not send such an email.

I would wait until I was actually attending a program and was doing coursework with the POI (as well as other professors) before initiating this type of communication. That is, give yourself time to do your "due diligence" so you can look before you leap.

Interesting responses. This is not what I expected to hear, and Imy instincts tell me the opposite. That said, since three of you are already attending, it sounds like a good idea for me to defer to you all on this issue. So, no emails!

Thanks alot for the advice!

I agree with the above replies, but I'll also add that it can come across like you're trying to sway the decisions. The general rule of thumb that I've heard is to contact them before you apply, and then only e-mail after if they initiate the conversation.