SSHRC

psyched

Yay! No letter here yet, but my landlord in the US told me over the phone that something arrived there, and I was offered a SSHRC for my remaining two years of study! 23.9 in Fine Arts for what that's worth (clearly, very little).

Yay! No letter here yet, but my landlord in the US told me over the phone that something arrived there, and I was offered a SSHRC for my remaining two years of study! 23.9 in Fine Arts for what that's worth (clearly, very little).

Congrats Phreeduh! I got into the habit of checking this thread daily just to see if your mail had come yet. I'm so glad you got it!

Congrats Phreeduh! I got into the habit of checking this thread daily just to see if your mail had come yet. I'm so glad you got it!

Thanks!

I have a question now for anyone who has been in communication with SSHRC.. is it still possible to accept the award for this term (the Summer 2009 term beginning in May)? I've been living off borrowed money this month so I'm hoping this is the case, however the wording of all the award documentation makes it look like you need to accept in advance of the term (clearly impossible when notices went out this late). Anyone know the answer to this?

one more thing, I just got confirmation from SSHRC that I can begin processing my payments without my acceptance letter (since the one they sent to my Canadian address seems to be lost in the mail). This must be good news for some of you who are in similar situations so I thought I would share it.

I'm so glad that your long wait is finally over phreeduh and congrats on your success!

"one more thing, I just got confirmation from SSHRC that I can begin processing my payments without my acceptance letter (since the one they sent to my Canadian address seems to be lost in the mail). This must be good news for some of you who are in similar situations so I thought I would share it.

"

I'm in Toronto and am still waiting for my letter... did SSHRC tell you how you would do this (begin processing without the letter)? Who do you contact and how does it work?

Thanks!

"one more thing, I just got confirmation from SSHRC that I can begin processing my payments without my acceptance letter (since the one they sent to my Canadian address seems to be lost in the mail). This must be good news for some of you who are in similar situations so I thought I would share it."

I'm in Toronto and am still waiting for my letter... did SSHRC tell you how you would do this (begin processing without the letter)? Who do you contact and how does it work?

Thanks!

I found that my Faculty of Graduate Studies office was extremely helpful. They sent me my award number, as well as details about the award, and I e-mailed the fellowships e-mail at SSHRC to formally accept the award. They are going to try re-sending the letter to me in Toronto as well.

Is there anyone left (in Canada) who hasn't received their letter yet? I keep giving it one more day before I get in touch with SSHRC, but I'm afraid it's never coming...

I

Is there anyone left (in Canada) who hasn't received their letter yet? I keep giving it one more day before I get in touch with SSHRC, but I'm afraid it's never coming...

I heard from my faculty of grad studies that I received an award, but I haven't received a letter.

So espressocup... Did you ask SSHRC to send you a new letter? I contacted them and they told me to wait at least two weeks for the letter... I figure there is still time since you have a month to accept the offer...

how do you know the letter is lost?

Thanks for all everyone's openness in discussing this! It really helps to know that there are other Toronto residents in the same boat!

Thanks!

You will need your award number which you can hopefully get from your school's DGS. There's a guide online here: http://www.sshrc.ca/site/using-utiliser ... r-eng.aspx

The first thing you need to do is send an email accepting the award with your award number tp:

fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

So espressocup... Did you ask SSHRC to send you a new letter? I contacted them and they told me to wait at least two weeks for the letter... I figure there is still time since you have a month to accept the offer...

how do you know the letter is lost?

Thanks for all everyone's openness in discussing this! It really helps to know that there are other Toronto residents in the same boat!

I'm fairly sure my letter was lost simply because I've lost quite a bit of mail sent to me - including a very recent cheque sent from my university and a teaching contract. My OGS letter was also sitting in a puddle outside of my mailbox, which was a little disconcerting. It's not out of the ordinary for me to lose mail so I've usually given up waiting after a few days... (I also received several letters sent from Ottawa after the SSHRC letters were supposed to be sent - I do get most of my mail, but the occasional piece seems to disappear)

I had been in touch with my graduate studies people and they requested that another letter to be sent out.

Well I contacted Graduate Students and they gave me the info. Thanks so much for the idea! I will wait the two weeks before requesting another letter be sent to me.

Just to be sure... do you know what info I include in the email to SSHRC?

I'm guessing it's:

Name

Award File Number

Type of Award

Award Tenure/Value.

Sound right?

Thanks!

Have you received your letters yet SVV and MelloYello? I'm still waiting!!! I've emailed both SSHRC and Faculty of Grad Studies. No response yet.

I contacted my FGS, and they said other winners at my school are *just* starting to get letters, so I should wait a week. They told me if I still haven't received a letter in a week, I should get in touch with SSHRC, and forwarded me the name of a contact person there.

So, I guess it's another week of daily mailbox trips for me!

I don't think your award number is the same as your application number. I'm sorry. This number is sent in your letter if you've won an award and apparently the schools get it with the results.. all you need in your acceptance email seems to eb your name and that number but the rest of the information (such as type of award and duration) couldn't hurt. Afterward there are forms to fill out (which ones are depending on where you are located) available from the guide at the link i posted a few days ago..

hi

When I spoke to graduate studies they said the only number they had was the one that matched my application number. They had all the other information (value of the award, duration, etc.)

Do you still have you application number? could you possibly check to see if they are not the same?

Thanks!

according to SSHRC's website:

Acceptance & Refusal of Award

You must notify the Council within four weeks of the date on the Notice of Award of your decision to accept or refuse the award.

To accept the award, send the Council an e-mail or fax (613-943-1329), specifying the start date of your award and, if you know it, the university and department of tenure.

To refuse the award, send the Council an e-mail or fax (613-943-1329) specifying your reasons for refusal (e.g., employment, acceptance of another award).

The Council will cancel any award not accepted by the above deadline.

Notification by telephone is not acceptable.

You must notify Council of your acceptance or refusal as specified above

It _does_ actually seem to be the same as the application number i received in confirmation after submitting my application. It is not the same as the internal use number listed on my application.