SSHRC

psyched

It _does_ actually seem to be the same as the application number i received in confirmation after submitting my application. It is not the same as the internal use number listed on my application.

Thanks for checking!

What is the internal use number?

So Preeduh have you actually accepted your award now? Did you get a reply email from them or anything?

Yes. I did. However I haven't managed to get all the payment forms through yet. It's late enough in the summer to be difficult for me to obtain the required signatures from my department. *&^$*&%$&^$

And just to make sure...

when you accepted you used the number that was in the receipt of application email?

Did you include any other info?

and have you gotten your letter yet? when you asked them to remail who did you ask?

thanks!

Has everyone received their letters now? I'm still waiting. This is getting ridiculous!!! Just to confirm, the deadline to accept the award is June 17th? I've emailed SSHRC again as I never received a response from my earlier email.

Thanks!

I haven't received a letter. I contacted the awards people at my FGS, who told me to contact SSHRC - haven't heard back yet. My FGS seemed very unconcerned, which, of course, made me MORE concerned...

I still haven't gotten my letter but I emailed on Monday asking them to re-send the letter and I got an email today saying that they would do so.

Also, when I sent the email regarding a new letter I asked about accepting via email (I included my application number). The person when she responded also said "Thank you for confirming your acceptance of your award" so it might just be as easy as sending them your application number in order to confirm/

I still haven't gotten my letter but I emailed on Monday asking them to re-send the letter and I got an email today saying that they would do so.

Also, when I sent the email regarding a new letter I asked about accepting via email (I included my application number). The person when she responded also said "Thank you for confirming your acceptance of your award" so it might just be as easy as sending them your application number in order to confirm/

Thanks jerome888. An application number was never forwarded to me. I finally got the necessary information this afternoon from SSHRC. Score 25/30... CGS for 3 years!

Many thanks to everyone on this forum. The support was tremendous during this stressful time. Hopefully it will be smoother for next year! All the best to everyone!

Congratulations! Did you get your letter?

Thanks! No, I still don't have my letter. The SSHRC Program Assistant told me that it should arrive by the end of this week! We shall see... In the meantime, I accepted the award. One less thing to worry about.

Oh and she actually gave you your score (over the phone)? I know how much I'm getting but no one has given me my score.......

did you accept online (who did you email?)

Congratulations again!

No, she didn't give me my score. All my correspondence was through email... wanted a paper trail. She was kind enough to scan my letter. Yes, I accepted online. Just email: fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca along with your award number, if you have it! Otherwise, just accept it without it, but include what award you won Doctoral Fellowship or Doctoral CGS. Good-luck with your studies!

So... are upper year doctoral SSHRCs ever bumped up to more money? I won a SSHRC for my fourth year and asked to commence the funding in May. Because of the delay, my university mailed me a cheque and it arrived today and it is more than I expected. I went to the online finances site and it says that I'm due to receive $35000 over twelve months. However, I didn't receive any word that I was getting a CGS and I didn't think I was even eligible (I thought you had to be going into first or second year to get one). Does anybody know? I would LOVE to cash this cheque but I'm waiting to hear from my university. They haven't replied to my e-mail yet, though. I was just wondering if this actually happens or if it is some mix-up. (I know what I'm hoping for.) Thanks.

Yeah that is weird... this is what the SSHRC website says:

Doctoral Awards

For students applying to, or registered in, a doctoral program or a combined MA/PhD program in the social sciences or humanities

For applicants registered at a Canadian university, the university sets the deadline; for all others, November 13, 2008

Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships: $35,000 per annum for 3 years

SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships: $20,000 per annum for 12, 24, 36 or 48 months

What did your letter say?

I got the standard $20000 letter. I'm guessing that somebody hit the wrong key when they were entering this into the computer at my school, but I just don't want that to be the case. :) I guess all I can do is wait and try to track down whoever I need to talk to about fixing it.

Yep, shoulda known better- I'm not that lucky. It was a mistake. I had to return the sweet, sweet, cheque and now wait until I'm issued another one.

How frustrating! Still, it's a good thing that you were able to get it figured out quickly. A friend of mine in a similar (but different) situation had people coming after her months later, asking for their money back -- and then reissuing incorrectly large cheques at the next pay period.

So, I've spent the last 2 days emailing back and forth with SSHRC (they were actually very prompt and helpful, surprisingly - responded to my email within 24 hours, sent me a confirmation of my award as well as scans of my letter/documents.) Confirming acceptance of the award by email was easy.

Now that everything has been sorted out with SSHRC via email... of course my hard copy letter is in my mailbox today. It's postmarked May 26th, which is totally strange - I do not understand how it took nearly two weeks for a piece of regular mail to get to me (Victoria, BC) from Ottawa. Toronto to Victoria never takes more than 5 business days.

Anyway, if anyone is still waiting, try emailing them!