Cornell

Concentration? What if none of the ones they offer directly apply to what I want to do? I am interested in psychoanalysis and trauma studies in 20th-21st century ethnic and minority literature. Do I put American lit after 1865? American Studies? Cultural Studies? Literary Criticism and Theory? the 20th century?

Ahhhhh. I don't know what to put.....

I am looking over their site and they have Minority, Indigenous, and Third World Studies, but that isn't an option on the list. I really don't know what to put. I wonder if it's optional....

I put American Studies for various reasons--like I don't like being pigeonholed by the periods in American lit. Helloooo! They influence each other and therefore are equally important.

I hope to submit mine tomorrow. Have three additional ones due on Thursday. UGH. At least afterwards I'll be 3/4 the way done ... mistakes and all.

Okay, another issue. The English website states to just upload transcripts from schools where you got a degree, but then the application says ALL schools attended, but then only gives room for 3 schools. Now, I received degrees from the 3 schools I listed, but I also attended another school prior to those three for two years before I took time off. I'm guessing it's okay since I didn't receive a degree from them, and the English site just says schools where you received a degree, but it's just so confusing when the application says ALL schools but then doesn't give you the option to add more than 3 schools.

Just a heads up: I just received an email saying Cornell extended their deadline to December 20th at 5pm!

I was just coming on the board to ask if anyone else got this email! It doesn't identify the school, just references a department of English and a university. Since I have four applications due that day, I was wondering wtf was going on.

So thanks, Timshel! :D I just handed in a 18pg pedagogy paper and have ten thousand student papers to grade for tomorrow. Now I can cross at least one of those four schools off my list!!

ETA: Duh, just noticed the contact email at the bottom of the message...

Edited by bespeckled

I was just coming on the board to ask if anyone else got this email! It doesn't identify the school, just references a department of English and a university. Since I have four applications due that day, I was wondering wtf was going on.

So thanks, Timshel! :D I just handed in a 18pg pedagogy paper and have ten thousand student papers to grade for tomorrow. Now I can cross at least one of those four schools off my list!!

ETA: Duh, just noticed the contact email at the bottom of the message...

I received this too--awesome....it almost feels too good to be true, considering how many things I have to do in the next few days. I wish/hope they put something about it on the website, maybe (?) just because I'm paranoid, but I don't expect them to do so. I guess I can e-mail or call if I feel the need to confirm. I mean, obviously, it has been sent from the same address as all the other e-mails about my application.

I received this too--awesome....it almost feels too good to be true, considering how many things I have to do in the next few days. I wish/hope they put something about it on the website, maybe (?) just because I'm paranoid, but I don't expect them to do so. I guess I can e-mail or call if I feel the need to confirm. I mean, obviously, it has been sent from the same address as all the other e-mails about my application.

Agreed about seems too good to be true. So I called to confirm ... of course BEFORE I saw the contact email at the bottom of the message.

Thankfully I didn't give them my name. :P

Agreed about seems too good to be true. So I called to confirm ... of course BEFORE I saw the contact email at the bottom of the message.

Thankfully I didn't give them my name. :P

Don't worry. At first I didn't realize what school it was either until I noticed the contact email. They should have been more clear!

Why on earth would a program do this? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you guys who get the extra5 days, but what makes a program post a hard deadline for a particular day, determined months in advance, and then 2 days before, think eh? why not 5 days from now.

Maybe they didn't get enough apps :) Fingers crossed for you guys that that's true!!!!

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

Why on earth would a program do this?

How much are they making per app again? ;)

Cornell's application system was the worst last year -- a complete clusterfuck. Plus when they sent out their rejection emails, they cc'd all the rejectees so everyone could see who applied and got canned. Kinda tacky for such a great program.

How much are they making per app again? ;)

Cornell's application system was the worst last year -- a complete clusterfuck. Plus when they sent out their rejection emails, they cc'd all the rejectees so everyone could see who applied and got canned. Kinda tacky for such a great program.

Yikes. I know a couple of people who are applying. I hope they don't do that again this year.

Yikes. I know a couple of people who are applying. I hope they don't do that again this year.

After the email shit storm it caused, they won't be doing that again -- trust me!

In their defense, it was a clerical error; the coordinator used CC instead of BCC.

@Grunty -- yeah, Cornell is very well-funded. A few extra grand isn't going to make a difference for them. It's a beautiful campus / town for anyone who is considering / never visited.

I just read over each of the emails AGAIN to make sure I didn't misread it because I have a lot of grading that I have to get done before the 20th, so I would like to do that first, but I am still sort of paranoid/nervous to not turn in the Cornell application by 5pm today.

Timshel, I called on Monday and talked to the dept secretary. She confirmed that they're due on the 20th--I'm assuming at 5pm (EST). She said the same thing the emails said, that the extension was due to some problems with GRE scores reporting.

I'm going to try to submit mine on Saturday because I'll be traveling on the 20th (and I just want to get it done).

Edited by bespeckled

Timshel, I called on Monday and talked to the dept secretary. She confirmed that they're due on the 20th--I'm assuming at 5pm (EST). She said the same thing the emails said, that the extension was due to some problems with GRE scores reporting.

I'm going to try to submit mine on Saturday because I'll be traveling on the 20th (and I just want to get it done).

Thanks for the reassurance. I am leaving this Saturday, so I still plan to get it done before then, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't somehow misread it and miss the 5pm deadline today.

Okay, question for my Cornell peeps:

They say for the writing sample to send 12-30pp and that it can be combined from two shorter pieces. My "main" WS is 17pp (plus 2pp works cited), but I have another paper I want to send an excerpt of as well. My WS #1 is from my MA thesis, in progress, for my American Studies program. The excerpt I want to send is from a really strong paper in contemporary British lit class, so it's more closely literary and theoretical.

By sending both, to equal about 25-27pp total, I hope to show range. Do you think that's okay, given the "can send two shorter pieces" option?

And don't even get me started about the lack of CV/resume thing. :|