Cornell

I was skimming through the english dept's website while finishing up my SOP, saw the bit about "accepts around 12 Ph.D. candidates" and thought "how is this not a waste of 95 dollars." And then I submitted.

On the bright side, I guess that's better than Duke's typical 8? ... :blink:

I was skimming through the english dept's website while finishing up my SOP, saw the bit about "accepts around 12 Ph.D. candidates" and thought "how is this not a waste of 95 dollars." And then I submitted.

I felt the same way. I mean, there is NO chance I am getting in there, and I really debated saving the outrageous 95 dollars, but submitted it anyway.

Some programs I'm applying to (e.g. Minnesota) accept four candidates at most (!) Yeah, getting more comfortable with the probability that I'll have to do this again next year, but the application process has definitely taught me some important things about my own goals and intellectual abilities/desires

Some programs I'm applying to (e.g. Minnesota) accept four candidates at most (!) Yeah, getting more comfortable with the probability that I'll have to do this again next year, but the application process has definitely taught me some important things about my own goals and intellectual abilities/desires

The possibility that you and I would constitute half of the Minnesota program (assuming it's the same) is so totally absurdly slight that I might be sick.

Edited by rawera

• 2 weeks later...

Something in another thread reminded me that I sent my CV to the dept email address (after submitting my application), asking that it be included in my application, but I never heard back. Now I worry that calling/emailing about it again will result in them tossing me in that big black bottomless AW HELL NO reject bin....

Did anyone else send in their CV separately and hear something back? Or how else did y'all handle the CV submission problem?

Something in another thread reminded me that I sent my CV to the dept email address (after submitting my application), asking that it be included in my application, but I never heard back. Now I worry that calling/emailing about it again will result in them tossing me in that big black bottomless AW HELL NO reject bin....

Did anyone else send in their CV separately and hear something back? Or how else did y'all handle the CV submission problem?

Their website repeatedly stated not to mail anything in, so I didn't want to chance it. I just filled out the boxes on the application with my most important aspects of my CV and called it a day. I'm not sure if it was the right decision, but since it's such a long shot anyway, I feel like if they REALLY wanted me, if they were REALLY impressed, then the CV wouldn't matter since most applicants didn't send one in, anyway.

I feel like if they REALLY wanted me, if they were REALLY impressed, then the CV wouldn't matter since most applicants didn't send one in, anyway.

Good point. Thanks, Timshel.

I emailed mine in to the dept because I worked for a long time before going back to school and the online application didn't leave enough room for me to show how my experience ties into my scholarly interests. I explained that in my email: if they take it, they take it. If not, meh.

Their website repeatedly stated not to mail anything in, so I didn't want to chance it. I just filled out the boxes on the application with my most important aspects of my CV and called it a day. I'm not sure if it was the right decision, but since it's such a long shot anyway, I feel like if they REALLY wanted me, if they were REALLY impressed, then the CV wouldn't matter since most applicants didn't send one in, anyway.

I did this, too. And then I took advantage of their (somewhat) longer SOP to include some info that didn't make it in (such as a conference presentation).

• 1 month later...

NO ONE FREAK OUT. NOT AN ACCEPTANCE POST. I am just really anxious to hear back from Cornell--it's (sort of) my top choice. It feels like they are taking forever. Does anyone else feel this way? Or perhaps all of the waiting has truly addled my mind. I also applied to the MFA/PhD--did anyone else?

NO ONE FREAK OUT. NOT AN ACCEPTANCE POST. I am just really anxious to hear back from Cornell--it's (sort of) my top choice. It feels like they are taking forever. Does anyone else feel this way? Or perhaps all of the waiting has truly addled my mind. I also applied to the MFA/PhD--did anyone else?

YOU JERK. Just kidding. ;) I was freaking out a bit, though. Ugh. I don't even really care that much if I get in at this point, but I just want to know and be done, so I can get on with the business of making my decisions!

...okay, maybe I care a little. Or more than a little.

At least when you apply to the joint-program you can get into either the PhD or the MFA. I don't know how strong my MFA application was, since it was the only MFA I applied to this year.

I feel the same way, bdon19 and rainy_day! I wish they'd just let everyone know at the same time. The worst (obviously) are the implicit rejections. At this point, I just want everyone to notify so that I can assume rejection at the places I haven't heard from, and start thinking about the places I actually got in.

I also applied to the MFA/PhD--did anyone else?

If you haven't heard back from them yet, you did not get into the MFA program. They've already sent out acceptances. And yeah, I tried for the joint as well. I figured that the joint applications would be looked at holistically and a decision would be made on whether to admit to that particular program, and then if the application was rejected it would be referred to each separate department. Turns out that's not the case--they actually just send the app to both departments (makes the application fee a 2 for 1, at least), and if both happen to admit you, then you get into the joint. I wish I would have known this beforehand because it sort of affects the SOP, which I wrote as an answer to the question "why do you specifically want to work in both of these fields simultaneously?" So now the PhD adcom is looking at an SOP that spends a good portion of its limited space discussing my creative writing. You know, in case getting into Cornell needed to be more difficult.

UGH. I was worried about this. After I submitted my application, I was like, "wait....was I supposed to write separate SOPs?" Misery. I was hoping that you didn't actually also have to be one of the four people accepted into the MFA program and that they would let you do the MFA on the sly. Haha. Yeah, right.