Cornell

Congratulations, friends! I'm a longtime lurker and secretly congratulate people, but now I figured I would chime in and say it for real. Cornell is quite the accomplishment. Enjoy the glow!

Aeplo, what field?

Sigh...children's literature. I love it, but I'm really sick of having to defend my interests at this point. I feel like I spent half my personal statement explaining my specific interests and half of it clarifying everything I *don't* want to study, lest the adcomm misunderstand me and think I want to write about Twilight for the next seven years. Really I applied for Victorianism with an emphasis on child labor and affected family structures, but even so, it's kind of a fringe specialty. Oh well, UT-Austin apparently wants a kidlit person, and they have Julia Mickenberg in their American Studies dept, so I'm pretty thrilled.

I don't mean to get falsely get anyone's hopes up yet, but I just checked my email recieved my acceptance, and the email wasn't sent until like 30 minutes ago...so they still could be sending acceptances...

Well, you definitely falsely got my hopes up, even though I know at this point it's probably over B)

It's a weird feeling, knowing you didn't get in but still clinging to that last glimmer of hope. "Maybe they're sending mine tomorrow morning..."

Congrats again to everyone who got in!

Whelp, baring something crazy this is the end of the road for me. Another year, another go, I guess--many of my deficiencies are correctable, but I can't help but feel the road ahead is extremely long and tiresome. I wish my undergrad was of any use.

thestage, don't despair. Please. Too many good people have been left out.

Stately, I'll put in a good word.

Yeah, it looks like, historically, they always notify all the acceptances on one day and all the rejections on a separate day. I guess we can assume that if we didn't hear anything, we're out. (Not that I thought I had ANY chance of getting in, anyway.)

I don't mean to get falsely get anyone's hopes up yet, but I just checked my email recieved my acceptance, and the email wasn't sent until like 30 minutes ago...so they still could be sending acceptances...

YEAH JOE! Stanford don't know what they missin

Has anyone heard of anyone being waitlisted this year?

I'm also wondering about that. Based on last year, both WLs and rejections went out about 3-4 days after acceptances. Fingers crossed for Ithaca!

I'm also wondering about that. Based on last year, both WLs and rejections went out about 3-4 days after acceptances. Fingers crossed for Ithaca!

I just got an e-mail this morning informing me that I was on a short waiting list. I hope others wishing for the wait list got it, too!

Also, is it rude to ask the people who have been accepted to Cornell and don't plan to attend to let the program know soon? That could help the wait list people have some options before April 15.

Edited by LilithIyapo

I just got an e-mail this morning informing me that I was on a short waiting list. I hope others wishing for the wait list got it, too!

Also, is it rude to ask the people who have been accepted to Cornell and don't plan to attend to let the program know soon? That could help the wait list people have some options before April 15.

Nope it's not rude at all. And I'm pretty sure I'm not going there, though it's a good program with a VERY generous financial offer (just not the best fit for me). I'm waiting to visit my number 1 choice (in like 10 days) before I let Cornell know, though, just to keep that the Cornell open in the unlikely situation that I absolutely hate the city/department of my number 1. But in all probability I'll tell Cornell thanks but no thanks within two weeks. Best of luck to you Lithlyapo!

BTW what's your field? I do 19th and 20th century transatlantic (mostly poetry).

Edited by joega1111

Ahhh, I've been hoping for that email :(

Congrats! Awesome achievement. :)

At this point, I just want to get rejected so I can move on with my acceptances. When you get there, tell them to reject me quickly please thank you B)

I visited Ithaca (and Cornell) this summer, and I have a friend in the English program there. Ithaca is, indeed, "beautiful." It's also very small, but there was plenty to do (awesome restaurants, plenty of culture, etc.). The people in the town were very friendly, and the cost of living is low. I haven't been there in the winter, but I hear it can be depressing (very very cold, no sun, etc.). However, it was a lovely 82-degrees-ish for the week I was there, while it was a sweltering 104 in Baltimore the same week, so there's that. I met a few students, and they were also very friendly, but it was difficult to guage the department, since regular classes weren't in session. From what I can tell, though, it's a traditionally structured department, but with a bit more "wiggle room" for newer ideas and interpretations than some of the other ivies.

Hope this helps. :)

Nope it's not rude at all. And I'm pretty sure I'm not going there, though it's a good program with a VERY generous financial offer (just not the best fit for me). I'm waiting to visit my number 1 choice (in like 10 days) before I let Cornell know, though, just to keep that the Cornell open in the unlikely situation that I absolutely hate the city/department of my number 1. But in all probability I'll tell Cornell thanks but no thanks within two weeks. Best of luck to you Lithlyapo!

BTW what's your field? I do 19th and 20th century transatlantic (mostly poetry).

My field is 20th- and 21st-century American, with an emphasis on trauma. Cathy Caruth recently joined the department, and the possibility of studying trauma under her would be a dream. I hope you'll be very happy with whatever you decide, Joega.

As to what Ithaca is like: it's "gorges." Sorry, had to make that joke! I actually went to Cornell for a year as an undergrad before I transferred to Brown, and Ithaca is a really cool town. The vibe is kind of like Woodstock, New York. And the food is great, both in the town and on campus. If you're ever at the Temple of Zeus, make sure to try the BLTease if you're a vegetarian. I'm actually hoping to get off the wait list just to eat those sandwiches again.

Anyone know anything about Ithaca, apart from the fact that it's "beautiful"? Also, anyone know anything about Cornell's program in terms of general enviornment, relations between students and faculty, dynmatics, etc?

I've visited Ithaca in various seasons. I like Ithaca, but like others said it is very small, and the winters are kind of bleak. If you're an outdoorsy person, it's perfect for that sort of thing. Otherwise, the town is so small I feel like you might run out of stuff to do/get bored if you're the type of person who likes the hustle and bustle of cities.

Cornell has maybe the silliest school motto I've ever heard:

I would found an institution where any person can find instruction in any study.

I vote we all just show up in September and say that, according to their motto, we are any person. Dibs on underwater interpretive tap dancing for a study.

thanks, bfat! Anything helps!

I visited Ithaca (and Cornell) this summer, and I have a friend in the English program there. Ithaca is, indeed, "beautiful." It's also very small, but there was plenty to do (awesome restaurants, plenty of culture, etc.). The people in the town were very friendly, and the cost of living is low. I haven't been there in the winter, but I hear it can be depressing (very very cold, no sun, etc.). However, it was a lovely 82-degrees-ish for the week I was there, while it was a sweltering 104 in Baltimore the same week, so there's that. I met a few students, and they were also very friendly, but it was difficult to guage the department, since regular classes weren't in session. From what I can tell, though, it's a traditionally structured department, but with a bit more "wiggle room" for newer ideas and interpretations than some of the other ivies.

Hope this helps. :)

• 1 month later...

I got in off the waitlist! I was going to wait until April 13 before giving up on the waitlist and accepting a place at another program; I was notified of my being accepted from the waitlist on April 12, so that was really close!

I'm definitely going to be attending this fall. The incoming class this year is nine students.

Thanks for all the support, everyone!