Cornell

Someone, very helpfully, just posted on the results board that Cornell will be contacting people at the end of next week. I suppose that means we're spared the guillotine this weekend, aka free to behead a million daisies, announcing "they love me! they love me not!" all weekend.

Edited by rainy_day

I applied to the MFA-PhD, too. Shit, yeah, I really wish I had known that my app would be viewed separately. My discussion of creative writing is going to sound moronic. Oh well, it was a long shot. My GRE Lit scores were mediocre, and I'm from a tiny liberal arts school. Oh, yeah, and I study one of the least-desirable fields. At least I can stop wondering if they're going to send anything out (until next week).

Well, there's one acceptance posted now. Is it real? Can anyone claim it? rainy_day said the acceptances weren't supposed to go out until the end of the week, but it is very possible that whoever told him/her that was themselves mistaken. This is pretty much it for me, so I'm on high alert here.

I can claim one. Just got an email. Although they spelled my first name wrong . . . not auspicious.

WOO! Congrats! That is awesome, HHA! (I love the success of others on this board. I'm addicted to it now.)

Guess you'll be going there, right?

Just curious.

(see: Rutgers waitlist :P)

WOO! Congrats! That is awesome, HHA! (I love the success of others on this board. I'm addicted to it now.)

Guess you'll be going there, right?

Just curious.

(see: Rutgers waitlist :P)

Ohhh, Trip. :)

Congrats, hiphop! Cornell is freaking amazing. I'm just waiting for my e-mail now...just kidding. The Ivies hate me and my midwestern-ness.

Haha. Thanks, Trip. I'm not sure at this point. I still lean toward Rutgers. I would like to stay close to NYC, for girlfriend-related reasons. Plus the early modern faculty at Rutgers are really good. We'll see. I look forward to visiting both. Thrilled by the offers.

Forgive me for being cheeky. Both excellent programs. Cornell's perceived prestige would be pretty attractive to me though...

Haha. Thanks, Trip. I'm not sure at this point. I still lean toward Rutgers. I would like to stay close to NYC, for girlfriend-related reasons. Plus the early modern faculty at Rutgers are really good. We'll see. I look forward to visiting both. Thrilled by the offers.

Tell the early modern faculty at Cornell that they can have me in your place ;)

Seriously though, congrats! That's awesome! I, too, love seeing people on these boards succeed. It almost (almost) feels like it's me winning!

Cornell's perceived prestige would be pretty attractive to me though...

Prestige schmestige. It's all about placement! Prestige don't mean shit if you can't get a good job.

(This is not geared toward either program. I have no idea what Cornell's or Rutgers' placement records have been like in recent years.)

Edited by Phil Sparrow

Forgive me for being cheeky. Both excellent programs. Cornell's perceived prestige would be pretty attractive to me though...

For reals, though: I think Rutgers has done an amazing job placing its early modern PhDs in some really bleak years. As well as anyone, from what I understand. I take them every bit as seriously as Cornell (or Princeton, for that matter--even though they haven't let me in . . . yet).

Prestige schmestige. It's all about placement! Prestige don't mean shit if you can't get a good job.

(This is not geared toward either program. I have no idea what Cornell's or Rutgers' placement records have been like in recent years.)

Amen. Prestige, however, often does positively correlate to placement. Rutgers is 69%. Cornell is 76% (Source: NRC)

Really that's kind of a wash though. And the girlfriend is definitely a big motivating factor. B)

Edited by TripWillis

Ugh, pay no attention to me; it probably seems like I'm acting out of self-interest (alone). I'll shut up now.

Good luck!

We're not even in the same sub-field, so I'm just being weird. :rolleyes:

It doesn't seem like that to me. I've read this board enough to know how supportive you are of everyone.

Placement is very important. I think there's a narrow line to walk between being enthusiastic and inspired by academia and looking at academia through an overly romantic lens. A lot of people I know fall on the side of the latter, unfortunately.

I don't mean to get falsely get anyone's hopes up yet, but I just checked my email recieved my acceptance, and the email wasn't sent until like 30 minutes ago...so they still could be sending acceptances...

Edited by joega1111

Amen. Prestige, however, often does positively correlate to placement. Rutgers is 69%. Cornell is 76% (Source: NRC)

Really that's kind of a wash though. And the girlfriend is definitely a big motivating factor. B)

Trip, can you provide the link where you found that info? I feel like that info could come in hand for all the schools about to accept me. :)