Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

Hi all,

Just got accepted into York's 2 year MSW program today. Just checked MyFile (as I usually do every hour lol) and was shocked to see it say: "Admitted" and beside it a button that read "Press to Accept offer".

Hope others hear today as well! :D

Hi all,

Just got accepted into York's 2 year MSW program today. Just checked MyFile (as I usually do every hour lol) and was shocked to see it say: "Admitted" and beside it a button that read "Press to Accept offer".

Hi kk_2012, Congrats!!! Will you decide to accept their offer? It's nice to know of other posters possibly coming to York this September! Don't be surprised if you do not get your funding package right away. I was accepted March 29th, and I just received my package yesterday. If you do decide to come to York, perhaps we can exchange contact information? It would be nice to know someone before I heading back to York this September. Congrats again :)

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd let you guys know that I heard from the University of Calgary today and was accepted. I am over-the-moon happy and I think I am going to accept the offer. Just waiting to hear back from them on a few things, but if I hear what I'm hoping, I will be headed there in fall 2012!

That also means that I will likely be freeing up a spot at Carleton University, so anybody who is on the waitlist can potentially snag that! It was a 2-year MSW, Clinical.

Nothing yet from York, but Calgary was my first choice so...YAY!

Best of luck to everyone. The wait should be over soon!

Congrats Heneyka! I know that you were really looking forward to going to Calgary! Now you don't have to take stats again lol :)

Hi all,

Congrats!!! I'm glad to hear people are finally hearing from York. Now, it gives me a legitimate reason to check myfile obsessively, lol. Let us know if you accept!!

Hi all,

Congratulations!!!!!

Hi,

Yes, I accepted. I just finished a Masters of Community Psychology at WLU but there were no jobs at all. Plus, I learned through all that community-based research that my skills were with the people and I loved it! I'm excited about the fall :)

Hey everyone.

Im new to this website but OMG I wish I found out about this thread sooner!

My situation is that I graduated in Oct 2011 with a BA in Anthro from York. I applied to the antho grad program at York in early 2011 and got rejected because I didnt have enough credits at the time and was technically in my third year when I applied. At the time I was struggling badly and did not have enough $$ to apply to other schools so that was a pretty big blow for me. My plan was that I would take a year off and just work, repay some of my OSAP, and then reapply to a whole slew of programs in 2012. Little did I know I would spend most of the year unemployed (though I did volunteer work), so aside from the volunteer experience I dont have much to show for it...

My mother is a social worker and suggested I think about moving away from anthro to Social Work, which I only vaguely considered before. Since I did an internship at a not for profit, and have a lot of volunteer experience (intake worker, admin etc) and just knowing that EVERYWHERE needs social workers, I decided to apply to Yorks two year MSW program. As a backup, I applied and got accepted into George Browns Social Service Worker program (fast track--atleast I can register wé the college and get work as a social worker at the end of it), which is set to start May 7th. Dont even get me started on GB... ugh. Ill save that for another forum.

Anyways, at this stage Im pretty discouraged about the fact that York admits so few applicants, and I havent heard anything back from them as of two minutes ago. I also had the same problem with myfile as some of you (referees show they have still not replied, I guess because their letters were submitted in a hard copy--this is some kind of new and 'improved' attempt at a paperless system implemented by York, I do not remember dealing with it in 2011).

Anyways... I have pretty much accepted the fact that I am not getting in to York, but I just want to get a formal rejection from them ASAP so I can just get on with my life. I am supposed to start classes at GB on the 7th of May, and I still need to buy books and fight with OSAP and figure out my job situation for this summer, etc. I am glad to hear that some of you are hearing back though--I just want this waiting game over with! York told me end of April, so I bet that I would hear back from them on sometime between 11:58-11:59 PM on APR 30th. Good thing I found this forum--I would now bet that I hear back from them before Friday 27th at 5:00PM (when whoever is in charged of updating Myfile goes home for the weekend!)

Sorry for my long winded post but I had to rant somewhere! Thank you all for giving me more information than York ever did about this process. I will post again when I hear from them!

Congratulations!!!!!

And Congrats to you Thumper86, I told you that it was just a formality with being recommended by the Faculty of Graduate Studies! I have heard of great things about Laurier's program and I'm sure you will do fab :)

Hey everyone.

My situation is that I graduated in Oct 2011 with a BA in Anthro from York. I applied to the antho grad program at York in early 2011 and got rejected because I didnt have enough credits at the time and was technically in my third year when I applied. At the time I was struggling badly and did not have enough $$ to apply to other schools so that was a pretty big blow for me. My plan was that I would take a year off and just work, repay some of my OSAP, and then reapply to a whole slew of programs in 2012. Little did I know I would spend most of the year unemployed (though I did volunteer work), so aside from the volunteer experience I dont have much to show for it...

My mother is a social worker and suggested I think about moving away from anthro to Social Work, which I only vaguely considered before. Since I did an internship at a not for profit, and have a lot of volunteer experience (intake worker, admin etc) and just knowing that EVERYWHERE needs social workers, I decided to apply to Yorks two year MSW program. As a backup, I applied and got accepted into George Browns Social Service Worker program (fast track--atleast I can register wé the college and get work as a social worker at the end of it), which is set to start May 7th. Dont even get me started on GB... ugh. Ill save that for another forum.

Anyways, at this stage Im pretty discouraged about the fact that York admits so few applicants, and I havent heard anything back from them as of two minutes ago. I also had the same problem with myfile as some of you (referees show they have still not replied, I guess because their letters were submitted in a hard copy--this is some kind of new and 'improved' attempt at a paperless system implemented by York, I do not remember dealing with it in 2011).

Anyways... I have pretty much accepted the fact that I am not getting in to York, but I just want to get a formal rejection from them ASAP so I can just get on with my life. I am supposed to start classes at GB on the 7th of May, and I still need to buy books and fight with OSAP and figure out my job situation for this summer, etc. I am glad to hear that some of you are hearing back though--I just want this waiting game over with! York told me end of April, so I bet that I would hear back from them on sometime between 11:58-11:59 PM on APR 30th. Good thing I found this forum--I would now bet that I hear back from them before Friday 27th at 5:00PM (when whoever is in charged of updating Myfile goes home for the weekend!)

Sorry for my long winded post but I had to rant somewhere! Thank you all for giving me more information than York ever did about this process. I will post again when I hear from them!

Hi LOLBRBYSK, I also graduated last year in York with Anthropology and Sociology as my majors. I can understand your frustrations with this process and GradCafe is an excellent resource/support community so feel free to rant. As with York, I do hope they keep their word with letting you but this is York we are talking about so be prepared worst case scenario that you may not find out your results till next week.

Hi all,

Congratulations! It's great to hear that people are hearing back. I've still not seen any change in MyFile but, hopefully, I'll know one way or another tomorrow or Monday. It will be good to stop fretting about it. I'd really love to get accepted into the program but I've still got plan B :)

And Congrats to you Thumper86, I told you that it was just a formality with being recommended by the Faculty of Graduate Studies! I have heard of great things about Laurier's program and I'm sure you will do fab :)

Thank you :) It still hasn't sunk in yet that I will be in grad school next year but I'm starting to get really excited and NERVOUS!

Thank you :) It still hasn't sunk in yet that I will be in grad school next year but I'm starting to get really excited and NERVOUS!

Way to go! You must be so excited. I know I will be when the time comes!

Hi Everyone,

I have not posted previously but have been following along!

Btw... I applied to U of T and York. Sadly, U of T rejected me and I have not yet heard from York. I'm pretty sure that won't work out either since they don't have many spots. My background is a BA (Soc/Psych) as well as an MA (in Health and Aging). I was above the cut-off and have 2.5 years with an assessment company...including completion of intakes with clients...so I was really disappointed when I found out U of T rejected me. I'm thinking of volunteering this year at an agency more directly related to the social services, which I hope will improve my application and then re-applying next year...But I also wanted to look into UBC...I wanted to know if anyone else has looked into applying to UBC Okanagan? I know a previous poster brought up that they may still be accepting applicants..I checked and they are...just wondering if anyone else was also looking there or if it is just me...lol

Congrats Heneyka! I know that you were really looking forward to going to Calgary! Now you don't have to take stats again lol :)

Thanks so much, Nala - I'm so glad to not have to take stats! It's funny, because my dad is actually a high school math teacher and I'm always talking about wanting to re-learn math, but NOT like THAT! lol.

I am feeling very blessed/lucky/fortunate right now :) Have you made a decision?

FYI, no notification on myfile for me at York. Good luck everyone! Maybe by tomorrow?!

Hi everyone,

I have just discovered this nice forum. As I am very much concerned and worried I would like to hear from people who are having the same experience in applications to phds. Actually, I applied to UOttawa for the phd for the fall 2012. I waited about 9 weeks until I got a reply of rejection telling me that I didn't submit the right English exam since English is not my first language. I submitted the ielts general training instead of academic. So now I am reapplying and I submitted the academic ielts exam results, but I am very anxious to know about the process of evaluation of my application. Do you think that when I first applied, my file or application was successful except for the English that I have to submit or the committee didn't see my documents (transcripts, SoP, letters of recommendations, resume,..) and if it is the case, then why did they take that long time to tell me that I am rejected. How do you consider my chances to be accepted, I have a good GPA and I have a very long professional experience in my field.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts

Hi everyone,

I have just discovered this nice forum. As I am very much concerned and worried I would like to hear from people who are having the same experience in applications to phds. Actually, I applied to UOttawa for the phd for the fall 2012. I waited about 9 weeks until I got a reply of rejection telling me that I didn't submit the right English exam since English is not my first language. I submitted the ielts general training instead of academic. So now I am reapplying and I submitted the academic ielts exam results, but I am very anxious to know about the process of evaluation of my application. Do you think that when I first applied, my file or application was successful except for the English that I have to submit or the committee didn't see my documents (transcripts, SoP, letters of recommendations, resume,..) and if it is the case, then why did they take that long time to tell me that I am rejected. How do you consider my chances to be accepted, I have a good GPA and I have a very long professional experience in my field.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts

Hi Candina,

You might not get the answers you're looking for here about the PhD program, because we've all applied for various Master of Social Work programs. It is a very helpful site, though, and I'm sure if you poke around the other threads you'll find a group that is discussing your program. Good luck with getting into your program :)

Hey everyone.

Hi LOLBRBY2K,

I understand and feel the same as you and would like to get official word either through MyFile, e-mail, or letter. Knowing that acceptances have gone out as early as the beginning of April, I've lost my earlier confidence. However, I knew there would be tough competition and I'm so pleased for those who've got in :) I have also applied to a part-time BSW program and I think I should get accepted as places are no where near as limited. Hopefully, with a BSW, I'll be able to get into a 1-year MSW program. Plan B will take an extra year but maybe that's just what I need to make me a better social worker when I do finally get there :D

lol yes you were right!

Thanks so much, Nala - I'm so glad to not have to take stats! It's funny, because my dad is actually a high school math teacher and I'm always talking about wanting to re-learn math, but NOT like THAT! lol.

I am feeling very blessed/lucky/fortunate right now :) Have you made a decision?

FYI, no notification on myfile for me at York. Good luck everyone! Maybe by tomorrow?!

Hey Heneyka, yes I have made my final decision-I am attending York this fall. I am super excited and nervous. I hear you with not wanting to have to take stats in that way. I was prepared to take a course in stats at the undergrad level as well as start reading stat books I bought, in case I did not get into any program and had to re-apply at a later date to other MSW programs that require stats. I believe McGill, Windsor and a few other programs I looked into require stats. I know it is necessary for the Doctorate level and other endeavours, so somewhere down the line me and stats will be meeting lol.Have you made a final decision or will you wait to hear from York?

I haven't.

The longer the wait, the more I feel bad news is approaching.

LOL I totally feel the same way, even though locically speaking, York wouldnt wait this long to reject us to if our applications were not being seriously considered (unless they are just being cruel!). But its funny how all reason goes out the window when ITS ALMOST MAY and you still havent heard a word!

My question is, why is York taking so long when it is a fact that they admit fewer people into the MSW program than other schools, and also have less applicants. Are they just lazy or completely disorganized or what.

My best guess: we can only assume we are one some kind of waiting list at this stage.

LOL I totally feel the same way, even though locically speaking, York wouldnt wait this long to reject us to if our applications were not being seriously considered (unless they are just being cruel!). But its funny how all reason goes out the window when ITS ALMOST MAY and you still havent heard a word!

My question is, why is York taking so long when it is a fact that they admit fewer people into the MSW program than other schools, and also have less applicants. Are they just lazy or completely disorganized or what.

My best guess: we can only assume we are one some kind of waiting list at this stage.

Hmmm. I assume the School of Social Work has finished at their end and they send everything back to Admissions and it's their responsibility to inform us. My experience with the admissions dept has not been great so far, so nothing would surprise me. Looking back on old posts on this forum, in previous years some people didn't find out until closer to the middle of May. Edited by Laurie S.