Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

Well after 4 years of going to York I cant say Im suprised at the errors that have gone on with admissions, whether it is calculating averages, referees not showing up on Myfile, or a failure to meet the deadlines promised to students. For all of you have been accepted to York and are attending the university for the first time, unfortunatly, you had better get used to this! I have known a lot of people who have attended other schools (U of T, Waterloo, etc) who ended up at York and frankly, most of them are completely baffled by lack of organization, communication and common sense when it comes to administrative matters at this school.

As someone else suggested, I too would like to storm the school and demand some answers, or atleast ask if there is anything WE can or should do to help things along. If we are waitlisted... why doesnt it say so on our myfile. Geez, they should atleast tell us our position on the list (a common university practice) when we call asking WTF is going on.

I hate to say it but I think we're all safe to assume that we're not likely getting into York. From everything I've read so far, we must be on a waiting list. What other explanation makes sense given that acceptances have gone out as early as end of March (one poster said they received an offer March 29)? We're just left waiting to see if people don't accept their offer. Even then, we have no idea of where we might be on the waiting list.

York's program is suffering from a terrible lack of transparency. They should have let us know back when initial offers went out that we were on a wait list. At least that way, people could make informed decisions on what their next steps should be.

Agreed. I just wish that they would let applicants know so we could move on with our lives.

I can't believe that you (Laurie) are still waiting. From reading your "stats" I thought you'd be a shoe-in for York. The fact that you haven't been accepted gives me a glimmer of hope that they haven't finished the whole process. Here's to hoping!

@LOLBRBY2K I noticed that myfile was moving SO slowly, I was hoping it was because administrators were updating our files. I guess EVERYONE was refreshing myfile yesterday lol.

I'm going to call again today. Let's see what they say!

I can't believe that you (Laurie) are still waiting. From reading your "stats" I thought you'd be a shoe-in for York. The fact that you haven't been accepted gives me a glimmer of hope that they haven't finished the whole process. Here's to hoping!

Thanks. I think I was probably a little over confident about getting in. But, as kk_2012 said, they're liking putting weight on the Statement of Interest. And maybe mine wasn't good. I admit, I struggled with it; never having done one before, I had no idea what they're looking for.

My son is just finishing his final year at York and doesn't have anything good to say about the admin. He got departmental permission in September to enroll in a thesis course and he's been working on it all year with his professor. But, 10 months later, admin still hasn't "enrolled" him in it, in spite of numerous attempts on his part. They just keep telling him it will be done ... in 1 to 2 weeks, no doubt.

York's tweeted response to me was about "rolling admissions." And I had no idea what that meant until I looked it up and learned it means

that seats are filled throughout the admissions process.

Then it means we might still have a chance. Oh bother. I don't do well with this kind of suspense. :wacko:

Edited by Laurie S.

York's tweeted response to me was about "rolling admissions." And I had no idea what that meant until I looked it up and learned it means

that seats are filled throughout the admissions process.

Then it means we might still have a chance. Oh bother. I don't do well with this kind of suspense. :wacko:

I just never knew that they would use a rolling admissions format for a program that holds 20 spots. Law Schools typically use rolling admissions, which makes more sense as there is a bigger incoming class and so many more applicants plus lsat scores, cgpa, b2 years etc.. This whole process... I don't know... it just doesn't make sense to me. York could've made it a lot easier for us!

I'd like to believe that my statement was good. But, like you said, I had no idea what they were looking for.

I am so thrilled to have found this community!!! I have applied to the 2-yr program at both York and University of Calgary, and, like everyone else, have heard absolutely nothing. This is probably the single most horrificly anxious experience of my life!! I have been accepted into an MA program at Mount St. Vincent in Child and Youth Study that I can still do in the fall, but I have to register soon or I think I might lose my place. Plus applying for funding with enough time, having to find a place to live if I have to move, and so and so on and so ....

So I am so happy to be in solidarity with the rest of you! I hope to find out more vicariously through your posts :) (rolling admission must mean that if I haven't heard by now, I'm not gonna fill a seat if there are only 20 and those people probably already know...)

Anyone have any thoughts on an MSW vs. MA in the child/youth/family field?

I am so thrilled to have found this community!!! I have applied to the 2-yr program at both York and University of Calgary, and, like everyone else, have heard absolutely nothing. This is probably the single most horrificly anxious experience of my life!! I have been accepted into an MA program at Mount St. Vincent in Child and Youth Study that I can still do in the fall, but I have to register soon or I think I might lose my place. Plus applying for funding with enough time, having to find a place to live if I have to move, and so and so on and so ....

So I am so happy to be in solidarity with the rest of you! I hope to find out more vicariously through your posts :) (rolling admission must mean that if I haven't heard by now, I'm not gonna fill a seat if there are only 20 and those people probably already know...)

Anyone have any thoughts on an MSW vs. MA in the child/youth/family field?

Hi Pinsandneedles, welcome! and yes, you're definitely not alone in the waiting. York has clearly been driving many on this board a little nuts with their sketchy responses, but there's nothing like some 'online solidarity' to help with the patience! I did hear from U of C in April, but someone else here apparently heard in March, so it's possible that they're doing the rolling acceptances as well. I had until last Friday April 27 to accept my offer, and with how backlogged the admin is there, chances are they won't have yet had a chance to send out more offers (if that's how it's working)

Congrats on your acceptance to the MA! I couldn't give much advice comparing the two as I'm less familiar with the MA, but I can share that one reason I have personally chosen to pursue an MSW is because of the specific professional designation afforded by graduates - yes, you pay some minor fees (wah-wahhh), but there's something so attractive to me about having that professional community behind me. Also, because the social work community has fought hard to have the profession recognized in an official way, there are some jobs that specifically require an MSW. I wanted to keep as many "social service work" doors open to me as possible, and getting an MSW seemed like the most appropriate degree for that. However, if you have a real passion for working with children and families, your MA will probably give you much more specialized knowledge rather than the more generalistic MSW. Just my 2 cents!

Crossing fingers for you! And for everyone! Yorrrrrk!!!

[May I also ask, then...has anybody here been accepted to U of C 2-yr MSW? I'm doing the Int'l Dev specialization...would love to meet my future classmates!]

Edited by heneyka

Hello,

I too am waiting to hear from York for the 2 year MSW program. Have been placed on U of T's waitlist since early April. I have already accepted NYU's 2 year MSW program with $25,000 scholarship. Compare to NYU, U of T and York seem really unprofessional in dealing with their applicants. Good luck everyone!

Jason

Accepted with the early-April round into U of T. Will be accepting at this point, but I've been accepted to the combined JD(law)/MSW and won't start the MSW work until 2013. I only applied to U of T's MSW.

I'm also a Waterloo Social Development Studies grad and am interested to see what they do with their new MSW program. I'm quite happy with my Waterloo experiences, and strongly contemplated doing their 13-month BSW at one point.

Happy to answer any questions about my stats/ECs, Waterloo experiences, etc. - just shoot me a PM.

I hope the remaining decisions arrive swiftly and favourably for you all!

Out of curiousity, does anyone know when York 2-yr post-degree BSW admissions generally arrive? I have a friend applying for this program, and I don't want to risk adding to her anxiety by asking about it.

Edited by Velociraptors

Congrats on your acceptance to the MA! I couldn't give much advice comparing the two as I'm less familiar with the MA, but I can share that one reason I have personally chosen to pursue an MSW is because of the specific professional designation afforded by graduates - yes, you pay some minor fees (wah-wahhh), but there's something so attractive to me about having that professional community behind me. Also, because the social work community has fought hard to have the profession recognized in an official way, there are some jobs that specifically require an MSW. I wanted to keep as many "social service work" doors open to me as possible, and getting an MSW seemed like the most appropriate degree for that. However, if you have a real passion for working with children and families, your MA will probably give you much more specialized knowledge rather than the more generalistic MSW. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks for the response :) I agree with wanting to be in a recognized profession, and I am aware that there is a lot of advocacy in my field for ours being recognized in the same capacity, because most of us feel strongly that we could easily handle/qualify for positions posted for people with MSW/BSW designations and so we are limited. There are many places expanding their options to include us, which is awesome, so hopefully we will arrive at the same destination as Social Work within the next ten years.

My heart and passion lie in working with children, so that's my focus. I have an BA, a Bach. of Child Studies, 4.5 years of direct front line experience and a published article, plus 2 years of research work under my belt, so I thought I was a pretty strong candidate, but now I'm starting to doubt that a lot...

Hopefully we'll keep each other up to date on how it goes!!

I've been a student of U of W and this school comes highly recommend by me.

I did my undergrad at U of W and loved it! I totally wish that they had a free standing Social Work program of their own. I would have chosen it hands down. They were organized, timely, and on top of everything all the time. I can't say the same thing about my Master's experience at Laurier :(

I did my undergrad at U of W and loved it! I totally wish that they had a free standing Social Work program of their own. I would have chosen it hands down. They were organized, timely, and on top of everything all the time. I can't say the same thing about my Master's experience at Laurier :(

Good news about U of Waterloo! They have just started a MSW program :)

Hey everyone! Not sure if anyone in this forum is interested, but I just read that The University of Windsor is extending there deadline for the MSW program to June 1st. If anyone is interested, here is the following link!

http://www.uwindsor....mission-package

Maybe for the individuals who have been wait listed or rejected from another school, this is another option.

Good luck to everyone in the future!

Edited by Track_22

Hi Track 22!

I saw this as well...however it is not the regular track MSW deadline that has been extended. It is the MSW for working professionals! So if anyone is interested in the program and has 3 years of experience after their undergrad, then I believe you could apply! A plus for this program is that you can continue to work full-time while completing the program. It is also availabe in Peel region, Oshawa and Barrie!!

Hope that helps :)

Hey, has anyone heard from York re: the post-degree BSW? They rejected me from the MSW program, so now I'm waiting for the PD-BSW program which seems to be taking long.

Hi there,

I received a notice back in April of being waitlisted for the two-year full-time MSW program at Wilfrid Laurier University. When I was waitlisted, I thought, "Oh, I didn't get in." I was told however by a number of people that even being waitlisted creates good odds for getting into the program. It is now May 7th and I haven't heard anything, and am assuming that the second round of acceptances have gone out already or will be going out soon. Does anyone have any advice for me? Does the situation look grim, or should I be optimistic regarding my chances of getting in?

For those who are waitlisted, I have several friends with the same experience.

One thing I would recommend is to contact the program head near the start date, as once the program starts is the time when the drop out rate of the program increases (acceptance into another program, unable to pay fees etc...) and many on the waitlist would have only missed a couple days to a week or two of the program. However, most schools will not automatically open doors or advertise this to waitlisters this far in, you have to advocate for yourself, but waitlisters have gotten in to programs this way.

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the same position as many of you. I was waitlisted at U of T and haven't heard anything from York yet. I also applied for the post degree BSW at York and have not received any info about the status of that application.

I spoke with someone in admissions at York last week and they had no real answers as to why it’s taking so long to get a response. Apparently, the people in admissions are still waiting for the Department of Social Work to forward the information so they can update Myfile.

He did mention that all of the acceptances were sent out so I have no idea why they are keeping us in the dark. I have already accepted the fact that I will probably be rejected by MSW program at York.

After this experience I am seriously disappointed with York and I am not sure if I will be able to deal with the lack of organization at this school if I do get into the BSW program. I really hope that the U of T waiting list is a short one. I would much rather attend a school that is organized!

Edited by KA2012

I applied for the part-time BSW program at U of Waterloo in mid-March and found out today I was accepted. How come U of W can process applications in less than 2 months? They still had to review my statement of interest, 3 references and CV. Can't imagine what is taking York so long :( While this route will take me an extra year, I'm confident that I won't have any administrative BS to deal with.

Just saw on the results page that someone received an acceptance letter for York's 2-year program on May 7, 2012 and the letter was dated April 19. What can be so difficult about going into MyFile and updating to accepted or unsuccessful? Surely, at this point, they must be finished reviewing the applications. They've had them for months.

Edited by Laurie S.