Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

I think I'll create a Facebook group for us to-be Social Workers. Any takers if I do?

Of course, I think Google has groups too if people would rather leave Facebook out of it.

I'm at a loss for words with York.

I contacted the admissions department again today. I was told that my application will not be reviewed until I present my transcript showing that I have graduated with my 4-year honours degree. I won't have completed the requirements until sometime end of June. I always thought that admissions were made and then you had to present your degree prior to the start of the term? Is there anyone else who's applied who is finishing their degree this year? I'm so confused right now.

Am I wrong about this? U of Waterloo has accepted me into their program and I don't have to provide proof of convocation until August.

I've sent an e-mail to the Department of Social Work but I really have a feeling that my application is gathering dust on a shelf somewhere. I'm so frustrated at this process and I'm no longer sure that I even want to be accepted to a school that suffers from such disorganization between and within departments. If my application is rejected, I plan on appealing for a refund of the application fee. I don't think that my application has been given a fair review, given all the problems and administrative errors so far. :angry:

I guess I'm not at as much of a loss for words as I thought. Ha, ha. But ... grrr ... I'm not happy about any of this.

Edited by Laurie S.

I'm at a loss for words with York.

I contacted the admissions department again today. I was told that my application will not be reviewed until I present my transcript showing that I have graduated with my 4-year honours degree. I won't have completed the requirements until sometime end of June. I always thought that admissions were made and then you had to present your degree prior to the start of the term? Is there anyone else who's applied who is finishing their degree this year? I'm so confused right now.

When I was finishing my BA at U of Waterloo this is what happened to me:

I was accepted into Laurier's Master's of Community Psychology program in April but was not done my thesis yet. So, the offer of acceptance was conditional - I had to successfully complete my thesis and then I was in 100%. So, I finished my thesis in August and started the Master's program in September. Conditional offers are usually used for such purposes. I have no idea if schools vary in such policies though.

If I were you, I'd do that BSW program you're in and then do the MSW at Renison. If you're already situated in KW and love U of Waterloo...I'd just stay there. In the end, a MSW is just an MSW is just an MSW. Some people will want to tell you this and that, how some organizations have preferences and such, but in the end, it's how you sell yourself and your experience that will get you hired so just stick with Renison :)

When I was finishing my BA at U of Waterloo this is what happened to me:

I was accepted into Laurier's Master's of Community Psychology program in April but was not done my thesis yet. So, the offer of acceptance was conditional - I had to successfully complete my thesis and then I was in 100%. So, I finished my thesis in August and started the Master's program in September. Conditional offers are usually used for such purposes. I have no idea if schools vary in such policies though.

Thanks KK. I'm pretty sure that York must be the same. It's frustrating that either admissions or the School of Social Work is providing incorrect information (Social Work department confirmed at the end of March that there was nothing else I needed to send and that my application was being reviewed). Sorry for the rant. It's just one of those days :blink:

Also, I actually live in Toronto, not Waterloo. I did my BA primarily through distance education so I'm really hoping to get into a school in TO so that I can actually meet my classmates.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all a bit better through the FB group. And maybe those in Toronto area will be able to meet-up sometime in the city for a coffee/tea and a natter.

Edited by Laurie S.

Ah man. So you're not from KW! I miss living there :( I now live in Newmarket (decided to move back home for school). I work in Toronto though on weekends. We could probably meet up. I wonder what York would do if you just showed up in person with all your documents from them and emails printed out saying that they had everything they needed???

Nothing like making an argument and having solid evidence in your hands!

Ah man. So you're not from KW! I miss living there :( I now live in Newmarket (decided to move back home for school). I work in Toronto though on weekends. We could probably meet up. I wonder what York would do if you just showed up in person with all your documents from them and emails printed out saying that they had everything they needed???

Nothing like making an argument and having solid evidence in your hands!

Funny you said that. My son and his girlfriend are both York students and they said the only way to get answers is to go in person ;)

Just spoke to someone at York and was told that they just finished first round offers :s and they're working on refusals and should hopefully have an email list of the waitlist sent out shortly.

York is moving at a snails pace, with no regard for their applicants. I'm just going to continue to assume, it's bad news.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

I think i'm with you on waiting for the bad news. The least they could do was email the accepted, waitlisted and declined applicants as they are already soo far behind schedule. But of course they dont.

I know this is a little of the York topic, but has anyone from the 2 year MSW waitlist heard anything from U of T ?

It looks like the turnaround for decisions previously has been 5 and a half - 6 weeks.

Which means we should find out any day now...

Hey! I've been following this forum for a long time now without having participated, but I just wanted to let people know that York sent (at least some) e-mails today letting applicants know if they're on the wait list. Good luck to everybody and if there are people who got accepted but are taking other offers, please let York know soon so that they can let people on the wait list take some spots :)

Plus thanks to everyone who's been on here and updating about this whole process--I know I haven't said anything before, but even just reading this forum and being able to know that others have been going through the same thing as me has been really helpful!

Good to know York is finally getting info out. I received an e-mail this afternoon saying I'm on the waiting list. They can't (or won't) say what spot on the waiting list, though, So, in other words, it'll likely be another 3 or 4 months of waiting to get a final decision.

All I want to do right now is scream. If I am waitlsted (I have heard nothing. going to call tomorrow) and won't find out for MONTHS(!!!)... where will I live? Will I get student loans in time? and so on it goes. U of C.. well the admin girl is back tomorrow apparently. I was given sage advice to not pursue the Master of Arts in Child and Youth, so I guess I'll find something to do for another year and reapply. I can only think that I didn't get in anywhere and this really sucks.

Sorry, had to rant, I'm losing my mind...

Sorry, had to rant, I'm losing my mind...

Rant away; we understand! I almost wish that I had been rejected and not waitlisted because at least then I could stop hoping. At this point and with the limited number of admissions, I think the waitlist is a long shot. But without knowing how many people are on the list, and not knowing where my position is ... I'm still in limbo.

I really hope you hear back soon. The waiting really does suck.

I haven't heard anything about being waitlisted either....sooo... I guess that means I am not on the waitlist?! I am preparing for the worst at this point (sigh).

P.S. - I agree that this discussion board has been really helpful; everyone is so supportive and it's nice to know that I'm not alone :/

Still no word on my end with York. I'm still at "No decision Yet" status. At this point, in that there is news of both acceptance letters going out, and emails of waitlists that I did not recieve, it seems highly unlikely that good news is one its way. I'm sooo furious with how York as been handling the process this year!

I'm still at "No decision Yet" status.

My status on MyFile hasn't changed even though I got the waitlist e-mail yesterday. Don't give up. The e-mail I got was from a Graduate Program Assistant and it's possible the work of advising people has been divided up between different employees. The e-mail was just sent out yesterday afternoon, so hopefully more people will be informed today.

So I just got an email back from the director overseeing the PD-BSW and she stated that decisions will start in May and run all the way to the end of May. Which means.... you guessed it....more waiting!

I was actually rejected from York U very early (I was missing one of the criteria and was rejected by Graduate Admissions--didn't even make it to the adcomm). I've been working hard on getting up to par but after reading many of the York U comments, I have absolutely no desire to go there anymore. What a horrible process to put people through!

I chose not to go there for my undergrad for unrelated reasons but my sister did go. Although she was an 'A' student, she totally hated the experience.

In a nutshell, this isn't 'new' for York. Clearly all the $$ they raise through parking fees etc do not go to staffing for administration.

I hope all of you who have been waiting in this horrible limbo get some answers soon! As a practicing Social Worker, this is a very rewarding field and I welcome you all to the club of do-gooders! :D

I just called York - same as U of C: by the end of the month...!!! This is insane. 12 more days is way too many... I can only assume I didn't get in. Has anyone heard from U of C at all?? I have been presented with some awesome opportunities that depend on my getting in to U of C :(

I haven't heard anything from U of T, but from what I see in the results section of this website, it looks like 3 people from the waitlist received a call within the last 2 days offering admission.

I am assuming not hearing anything by now is not good new, time to start planning my move.

Edited by AmyRebecca