Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

Hi Stephanie,

I know that most schools keep their waitlists at a number that is slightly higher than the # of spots in a program (e.g., a program accepting 40 students may have a waitlist of up to 50, & so on). However, I know a speech-language pathologist that attended UofT for her masters & she said that UofT, in particular, keeps their waitlists relatively short. My fingers are crossed for you!

I am still waiting to hear back from York as well :/

Hope this helps .... hang in there... !

:)

Hi Stephanie,

I know that most schools keep their waitlists at a number that is slightly higher than the # of spots in a program (e.g., a program accepting 40 students may have a waitlist of up to 50, & so on). However, I know a speech-language pathologist that attended UofT for her masters & she said that UofT, in particular, keeps their waitlists relatively short. My fingers are crossed for you!

I am still waiting to hear back from York as well :/

Hope this helps .... hang in there... !

:)

Thank you so much! This actually made me feel a lot better! I am willing to wait as long as they need me to, I just really want to get off that wait list! :) Thanks for the information!

I was wondering about the waitlist situation, as well, so thank you so much! I would really like to do my MSW this year, and it's really killing me to think that I have to wait a full year plus reapply. I'm going to look into taking a stats evening course to have more options for next year and I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing for work, but... sigh. It's very frustrating to say the least....

I was wondering about the waitlist situation, as well, so thank you so much! I would really like to do my MSW this year, and it's really killing me to think that I have to wait a full year plus reapply. I'm going to look into taking a stats evening course to have more options for next year and I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing for work, but... sigh. It's very frustrating to say the least....

It's very frustrating! I really do not want to reapply again next year and I really want to do my MSW this year. Fingers crossed for all of us still on waiting lists!

This is sooo aggravating. I have job interviews lined up for positions that I can’t take if I get accepted but I’m stuck in limbo because York can’t get their act together and show a little respect for the students and the time and energy they have dedicated to the application process!

I just got off the phone with York, I figured for sure they'd know by know, but the office of admissions said they haven't even made all their decisions yet. I'm still in shock.

DON'T listen to a word admissions tells you. They don't have A CLUE what's going on. Three people in admissions told me that my application will not even be looked at until I produce another transcript showing I've already graduated. They don't know how to provide the most basic information on the application process -- I wouldn't trust them to give you a correct answer.

While admissions tells me that my application isn't even being reviewed, Kathleen Lidbetter Lawrence, Graduate Program Assistant with the department of Social Work e-mails to say I'm on the waiting list for the 2-year MSW.

If you want an answer, e-mail the department directly. You might as well bash your head against the wall a few times, than talk to admissions. You'll end up with the same result either way -- a massive headache.

I just got off the phone with York, I figured for sure they'd know by know, but the office of admissions said they haven't even made all their decisions yet. I'm still in shock.

OMG! I don't get it. They told me that they had sent out refusal letters as well as first round acceptances...so how could they not have made all their decisions yet??? Wouldn't they have to rank all the applicants before sending out the first round of acceptances? That would mean that they were accepting people without looking at all the applications first - which would be so weird.. not to mention unfair if someone didn't get in simply because they were one of the last applications that they got to. There are only 20 spots in the program... I mean c'mon here!

RidiculousMegan, did you speak to the social work department directly? I got my info from the department of social work and they were the ones who said that I was likely on the waiting list and that they have already sent out first round acceptances.

Laurie S. said it best.... what a headache... :/

Hi everyone,

Is anyone waiting on Western? I've been waitlisted and am still waiting. I got rejected by U of W and Laurier. I have a BSW from U of W. They told me that there is a short list, but I want to know how short that is and no one seems to answer me. There are 43 spots open. I really wish I could see where I am on that list. I don't ever want to go through the application process again. Very brutal.

Hi guys,

My myfile was updated today for the MSW 2-year program at York so maybe they are finally getting around to telling us what is happening.

(My status was reviewed-unsuccessful). Good luck to everyone!

I just checked Myfile and my status is reviewed-unsuccessful. At least York finally got it together and are starting to let people know!

Sorry to hear kk12345 and KA2012. It's too bad that it took so long to let people know. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Heard from York University today via My File. Status: Reviewed-unsuccessful. In a weird way, it's kind of nice to know I am not the only one going through this right now. I am currently hanging on by a thread on UofT's waiting list...it's been a rough ride!

Looking for some advice:

So things are looking pretty crappy for me this year in regards to getting into my MSW. I have two "Plan Bs" for this year to help me try and apply for next year.

Option 1: Do part-time studies and take social work classes to try and get my marks up (My average right now is 79)

Option 2: Work in a hospital as a nurse's aid to make some money and gain some medical experience (I would like to enter medical social work; I currently have a lot of experience with children, special needs and working with other cultures).

Any advice would really be appreciated!

Looking for some advice:

So things are looking pretty crappy for me this year in regards to getting into my MSW. I have two "Plan Bs" for this year to help me try and apply for next year.

Do both.

So, last year, I was in the same boat as you. I had applied only to UofT, found myself on the waitlist, and was ultimately rejected. I decided at the last minute to postpone my graduation and return to school to finish my minor. I completely courses in Social Welfare for my minor and found a class with a volunteer Community Service Placement at the local AIDS Committee. I also furthered my research and got both a publication and presentation under my belt.

So, my advice to you is to go back to school and look into courses that have more practical experience. If you're into medical social work, take courses related to that if you can. Also, retake stats. At the info session, they stressed how important a good mark in stats/methods course is. They said they often won't even waitlist people without at least 75% in stats because they don't want to give false hope of getting in. If you're in the 75-low 80% range, I would recommend re-taking it and trying to improve your mark.

In any case, I got into UofT this year and also to a local school for my M.Ed. I decided on the M.Ed route and declined my offer at UofT. Like I said, a year gives a lot of time to change and grow. Either way, I got into 2/3 schools I applied to this year and I am up for multiple scholarships at the school I accepted, even after being rejected last year and having to reapply. If you made it this far, you're qualified for the program. It's not a matter of if you get in, just a matter of when :)

Do both.

So, last year, I was in the same boat as you. I had applied only to UofT, found myself on the waitlist, and was ultimately rejected. I decided at the last minute to postpone my graduation and return to school to finish my minor. I completely courses in Social Welfare for my minor and found a class with a volunteer Community Service Placement at the local AIDS Committee. I also furthered my research and got both a publication and presentation under my belt.

So, my advice to you is to go back to school and look into courses that have more practical experience. If you're into medical social work, take courses related to that if you can. Also, retake stats. At the info session, they stressed how important a good mark in stats/methods course is. They said they often won't even waitlist people without at least 75% in stats because they don't want to give false hope of getting in. If you're in the 75-low 80% range, I would recommend re-taking it and trying to improve your mark.

In any case, I got into UofT this year and also to a local school for my M.Ed. I decided on the M.Ed route and declined my offer at UofT. Like I said, a year gives a lot of time to change and grow. Either way, I got into 2/3 schools I applied to this year and I am up for multiple scholarships at the school I accepted, even after being rejected last year and having to reapply. If you made it this far, you're qualified for the program. It's not a matter of if you get in, just a matter of when :)

Thank you so much again! You have no idea how much this helps me! Not only with deciding on what to do this year, but also emotionally...knowing that I am not the only one who has gone through this.

Hi Stephanie,

I agree with ladybug, do as much as you can in the next year to strengthen your resume - you can even try to contact the university directly if you are unclear about where you need to improve.

To give you a little background about my experience - I applied to my masters a few years ago, and was devastated when I didn't get in anywhere (naturally I figured I was the only one and didn't realize a website like this existed). Taking that time off actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I applied to a post graduate college program in addictions - the entire time I had been interested in psychology and mental health - and after spending a year in this course I realized that I was meant to work in the addictions field. I have now spent the last 2 years working in the field, I absolutely love my job and I am planning on starting my masters in social work this fall.

Had I gotten into my masters right away, I would have ended up in a different field of work, totally outside of where I should have been. Things sometimes happen the way they are supposed to.

So know that you are definitely not alone by any stretch - have a little bit of faith and spend the next year working at it, and I am sure you will get into your Masters!

(and just in case - apply to a couple more schools!)

Edited by AmyRebecca

I agree with ladybug. You should at least try planning for both work and school and see what happens (even if you end up choosing one over the other).

The thing is, it is really hard finding a full time job right now, so having some kind of schooling can be valuable, in case you don't get your dream job for this year. However I wouldn't recommend doing school just for the sake of your average, as yours it isn't a bad one at all. Grades are important but for graduate admissions experience can be even more valuable. I would suggest try looking for a full time job, a really good one, but as that can take a lot of time and energy it would be worthwhile to look into different certifications and see which ones might be useful for you career wise, in the meanwhile. CPR, Crisis Intervention, Life Skills, etc, if you don't already have them.

Myself, I still haven't heard from York yet which I guess is a good sign. In the meantime I have just finished up my 5 weeks of summer courses at George Brown (my back up plan) in the Social Service Worker program. If I don't get into York I will be finished the diploma program around this time next year. For the rest of the summer I will be doing temp work and FINALLY learning now to drive! Yay!

Hey all, I thought I'd contribute to the updates about MSW acceptances/rejections - I also checked Myfile and finally have an updated status - unsuccessful. Rejection always sucks, but this doesn't hurt too much as I had planned for Calgary since they accepted me in April.

I'm also sharing this to help give others who are still waiting for other schools some hope! I didn't get into York, but was accepted to both U of Calgary and Carleton. Calgary does accept about 30-50 students, more than York, but they're also Alberta's only MSW. Carleton only accepts 20, like York. SO, even though York outright rejected me, I was accepted fully to 2 other schools. So, for those of you who were not accepted to York, have hope if you're still waiting! The MSW is so clearly about fit, as is evidenced by so many of you awesome people who are accepted and rejected at different places.

Best of luck to everyone!

[Anybody heading to Calgary? Would love to connect!]