Grad school food... Mmmm

willtherebestars

Which food will you eat most frequently in grad school?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which food will you eat most frequently in grad school?

• Chicken Tikka Masala
    • Ramen Noodles / Other "pastas"
    • Fast Food of any Variety
    • Pizza
    • Vegetarian
    • Real Pasta
    • Cereal

My undergraduate degree consisted of eight subways a week, plus pizza. One day I failed to turn up at my local Subway at the usual hour, and the guys behind the counter asked my friend: 'Hey, where is your friend? The one who likes all the meat?' They looked scared that their cash cow might have run out. They had a certificate on the wall saying they sold more sandwiches than anywhere else in the South-West. I think about fifteen percent of that was me.

I didn't realise until I read this thread that if I fail to get into grad school it may be a blessing in disguise, both for myself and people around me. When I have a lot of work, my junk food habit reaches murderous proportions (I'm not kidding - if I have an essay due the next day, I'll kill you for pizza without a second thought).

These categories are not mutually exclusive. I'm pretty much vegetarian but I eat more noodles and oatmeal than anything else (though I guess technically, ramen isn't vegetarian...).

Also, I didn't see coffee up there. :wink: I probably consume more coffee drinks than I do "actual food"....

Coming from quite a small town and (hopefully) going to a much larger city, I dream of partaking in Indian food quite frequently once I start grad school. I love Chicken Tikka Masala! I do anticipate being quite poor, so I'll have to limit myself somewhat.

Also, is it a crazy dream to think of losing weight in grad school??

My partner will be working, so hopefully we won't be as broke as we would if it was just two students. I anticipate a lot of crock pot meals. I'm hoping that wherever we go, there'll be a Thai restaurant there. I've become really, really accustomed to (and spoiled by) the awesome Thai restaurants in our current city.

*drools over larb *

Is the "vegetarian" category supposed to be mutually exclusive of all the others? Because...last I checked most cereal is vegetarian... :?

Key word here being "most." As a vegetarian for 8+ years, I've found a surprisingly large number of non-veggie-friendly cereals, mostly those with frosting: Frosted Flakes, Frosted Mini-Wheats, but also Lucky Charms and frosted Pop Tarts, and several others. Also, the majority of commercial yogurt isn't veggie either (but organic is, as is Kroger-brand).

This is assuming that you're like me and include gelatin in the "forbidden" category.

Key word here being "most." As a vegetarian for 8+ years, I've found a surprisingly large number of non-veggie-friendly cereals, mostly those with frosting: Frosted Flakes, Frosted Mini-Wheats, but also Lucky Charms and frosted Pop Tarts, and several others. Also, the majority of commercial yogurt isn't veggie either (but organic is, as is Kroger-brand).

This is assuming that you're like me and include gelatin in the "forbidden" category.

Oh noooo! Frosted Mini Wheats have been a staple for me throughout college! :cry:

That is generally a vegan rule rather than a vegetarian rule, afaik. I know people set their own wide variety of dietary rules, but all the vegetarians I know eat gelatin and avoid only flesh, it's the vegans who eschew Jell-O. I'm curious - do you also avoid refined cane sugar and cheese?

I've just been reminded that my junk food consumption will be limited once I start grad school. It seems the typical north-american cookie aisle lacks tim-tams and good chocolate cookies in general. I might have to *gasp* eat more healthily!

I've just been reminded that my junk food consumption will be limited once I start grad school. It seems the typical north-american cookie aisle lacks tim-tams and good chocolate cookies in general. I might have to *gasp* eat more healthily!

If you're near a Wegmans, which are the flat-out best grocery retailer this side of the Atlantic, they have imported cookies aplenty. Plus, depending on where you are, the caloric delights may be myriad - I'm a little scared if I get accepted to a Pennsylvania school, land of cheesesteaks and funnel cakes. And oh god, has anyone else every been to Berkey Creamery on Penn State's main campus? HERE COMES THE BUYING OF THE BIGGER PANTS.

what do they do to refined cane sugar to make it non-vegetarian? I've never heard of this

It isn't really nonvegetarian, it's nonvegan. It's filtered through activated charcoal which sometimes is sourced from bone char - animal bones. There's no way to tell whether bone char has been used or not.