post here if one of your programs has started contacting...

frankdux

I tried not to freak out when I saw acceptances from UCLA yesterday, and it turns out I've been wait-listed. When my inevitable rejection from MIT comes, I'm going to be going into all of this without a solid acceptance, so up for for another month (at least) of stress. Damn.

I got acceptance from UIUC in Jan. 30

Stanford contacted me about the coming interview in March, but I still have no idea about how this processes and what they are gonna ask me...

plus, i am an international student

I tried not to freak out when I saw acceptances from UCLA yesterday, and it turns out I've been wait-listed. When my inevitable rejection from MIT comes, I'm going to be going into all of this without a solid acceptance, so up for for another month (at least) of stress. Damn.

I know that considering my signature the following is going to end up looking like a hugely hypocritical attempt at sympathy, but...that totally sucks! What a drag. Though a waitlisting is better than a outright rejection. (Don't give up on any Bruce-Hayes-related daydreams that you might have just yet. * grins *)

I looked up when schools notified last year, but with the likely increase in applications, any thoughts on whether the schools will be later this year? My program is a more interdisciplinary so there are fewer schools by which to judge.

I know that considering my signature the following is going to end up looking like a hugely hypocritical attempt at sympathy, but...that totally sucks! What a drag. Though a waitlisting is better than a outright rejection. (Don't give up on any Bruce-Hayes-related daydreams that you might have just yet. * grins *)

Haha, thanks for the support. I'm wait-listed for funding, though they say there's a good chance I'll get it. I'm not giving up hope yet!

[Re] I'm wait-listed for funding, though they say there's a good chance I'll get it. I'm not giving up hope yet!

Hey Phonologist. They told me the same thing. Once I get my inevitable reject from MIT, I'm not sure where to pin my hopes. UCLA was my undergrad so it was kind of my sure thing. I'm phon too.

looks like the applied math depts at both univ of arizona and univ of iowa have started making offers. but nothing in my email inbox. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

somebody hold me...

This is terrible, to be sure, but I don't expect to find out anything from any of my schools for a month, at least. :lol:

looks like the applied math depts at both univ of arizona and univ of iowa have started making offers. but nothing in my email inbox. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

somebody hold me...

I'm sorry to hear that. :/ But, you don't know for sure until you get a message of your own.

Hey Phonologist. They told me the same thing. Once I get my inevitable reject from MIT, I'm not sure where to pin my hopes. UCLA was my undergrad so it was kind of my sure thing. I'm phon too.

I know, this sucks. UCLA and MIT are by far my top choices, and I was really, really hoping UCLA would come through, because nobody gets into MIT. I'm regretting not applying to UMass now though, but I was advised to avoid the OT hubs (including Rutgers).

Does being an undergrad at UCLA really give you a better shot? At my alma mater (another top 10 program), you'll never get in if you did your undergrad there.

I know, this sucks. UCLA and MIT are by far my top choices, and I was really, really hoping UCLA would come through, because nobody gets into MIT. I'm regretting not applying to UMass now though, but I was advised to avoid the OT hubs (including Rutgers).

Does being an undergrad at UCLA really give you a better shot? At my alma mater (another top 10 program), you'll never get in if you did your undergrad there.

I drove up to UMass one weekend and checked it out, and liked the place enough to apply regardless of the specific program. Why avoid OT hubs? I had professors strongly recommend Rutgers specifically because of that.

I dunno about the alma mater effect. Honestly I've heard it both ways. At UCLA at least, I knew a few grads who matriculated directly from the undergrad department. However, if that did figure into my status, it gives me hope. So does the fact that the letter specifically mentioned funding problems. If a school in a less cash-strapped state considers the same app, it might turn into an acceptance.

(I also drove up to Boston and toured MIT. Good GOD is that building ugly! I know, I know, architectural masterpiece blah blah . . . nah, it looks like something built out of blocks by the kid that would later be collecting animal heads in the garage.)

Why avoid OT hubs? I had professors strongly recommend Rutgers specifically because of that.

Well, there's the possibility that OT will soon give way to something else, in which case places like UMass and Rutgers will most likely curl up into a ball and just start blindly throwing punches, kinda like with the University of Connecticut and syntax. There's really no guarantee that OT will be such a hot thing in 5 years. Second, while I like working with OT, I'm not interested in working on OT, which is what you do at UMass if McCarthy is your advisor. To me it's like a bunch of carpenters sitting around designing a new hammer while not getting much carpentry done in the meantime.

And yes, the Stata center is ugly, but there's BAR inside.

What does it say about MIT that I know which building you're talking about even though I've never been there and have only been on their ling-department website about twice? * laughs *

(For the sake of solidarity: technically I also applied to MIT, and technically I'm also anticipating a rejection...except in cognitive science. But that's just a minor detail.)

I know a professor who went to MIT for her Ph.D., and from a medium-tier university in Toronto that I didn't even realise had a linguistics program...and her advisor was Chomsky himself. I'm still trying to figure out how she did that.

Hey, does linguistics have a subject category down below? It gets shuttled around between so many departments at different universities that it's kind of hard to pin down.

On topic, I searched the results page and saw that some people are reporting emailed responses from Penn. I've heard nothing yet. I assume that's bad.

Yeah, I never saw a linguistics category down there either. (But one would be nice.)

And one person reported getting an interview with one of my (three! What was I thinking?) programs, but I haven't heard anything from any of them. And there seems to be no record on the board of anyone applying to UCLA's Indo-European Studies program, so there's a lack of data for me to worry about there.

MIT BCS is legit. Good luck!

Thanks! That one's a bit of a stretch in more ways than one, admittedly; even if I did (somehow) get into BCS, I'd have a hard time getting funded since they don't seem to have a lot of money for international applicants (I'm Canadian). Ah well. I think I'll only worry about that if I end up having to worry about that. * laughs *

Edit: Yes! I'm no longer "Decaf." That was kind of insulting.

I know, eh? What use is decaf coffee? Heck, the very phrase is pretty much oxymoronic.

Yeah, I never saw a linguistics category down there either. (But one would be nice.)

There're a couple of (ancient) threads about the field under Humanities - Languages, but that just calls to mind the whole 'You're a linguist? How many languages do you speak?' thing...

There're a couple of (ancient) threads about the field under Humanities - Languages, but that just calls to mind the whole 'You're a linguist? How many languages do you speak?' thing...

Yeah, though my sister said she was in a conversation with a co-worker who asked (another co-worker), "So, are you one of those linguists who knows 15 languages, or one who just knows English?" which I thought was a nice variation on that theme.

I know, eh? What use is decaf coffee? Heck, the very phrase is pretty much oxymoronic.

So how many more posts do I need to get out from under decaf? There's a 30% chance that any further posts from me will just be to hit that total :D

Congrats psycholinguist on UCSD btw. I went to a guest lecture by Vic Ferreira on neuroling and it got me all psyched up (pun! HAR) about a subject that had never really grabbed me before.

De-lurking to say: perhaps we linguists should just request a subconference of our own? Seems like there's enough of us that would benefit from it.

Yeah, so many of us popped up! I suppose we could resurrect the linguistics thread from 2006 in The Menu > Humanities > Languages, but there's probably a more appropriate place for it.

By the way, your list keeps getting fancier! (we've been talking on lj)

Edit: I put in a request for a sub-forum on the comments forum for us.

So how many more posts do I need to get out from under decaf? There's a 30% chance that any further posts from me will just be to hit that total :D

Twenty-something. I know I'm getting close. (And yeah, I know that feeling! Caffeeeeeeeeeeeine!)

Congrats psycholinguist on UCSD btw. I went to a guest lecture by Vic Ferreira on neuroling and it got me all psyched up (pun! HAR) about a subject that had never really grabbed me before.

Thanks, Dinali! I'm thrilled about it; due to their interdisciplinary Ph.D. in ling and cog-sci, it's the one place that wouldn't force me to choose one or the other. Which would be ideal, because I love both fields and have research-ideas pertaining to both.

De-lurking to say: perhaps we linguists should just request a subconference of our own? Seems like there's enough of us that would benefit from it.

Let's! Then we can retreat into inside-jokes, cryptic acronyms (e.g. the aforementioned 'OT', at least for the phonologists), and spontaneous outbursts of IPA symbols (as long as the board would support such things).

Oh, and not to sound like a stalker, but hey, I recognise your username from LJ as well! I saw a comment of yours in applyingtograd, and had typed up half of a 'whoa, you're basically my mirror-image' post (I'm majoring in ling and minoring in cog-sci; I've tried to restrict my applications to places that would allow me to straddle the division), but in one of those accidental-tab-closing incidents, I misplaced both it and the link to where I saw your post. Go figure. But hi now!