post here if one of your programs has started contacting...

frankdux

I have just gotton a personalized email of offer to the PhD program (English) from UNC Chapel Hill :D This year 17 people were chosen.

My case is different from most people here because I have already secured a full scholarship from the Government of the country I live so I am not applying for any funding there.

I believe that people in the US may receive the snail mail (or in some cases email) For my case, the DSG told me that she would inform me of the decision via email to avoid the delay of international postal service because I live so far away from the US. If you haven't got any offer, don't give up hope. I wish that it would arrive soon. Fingers crossed for everyone!

Thank you everyone once again for your support and comments to my previous post.

**I am the same person registered as Catalyst but I totally forgot my password and had to register again with a new name.

Does it bother anyone to be in a school's 'second string'? I know I'd just be happy to get in, but I couldn't help being a little jealous or wondering what they had that I didn't ;) It's like being the backup girlfriend...

Does it bother anyone to be in a school's 'second string'? I know I'd just be happy to get in, but I couldn't help being a little jealous or wondering what they had that I didn't ;) It's like being the backup girlfriend...

Yeah, that's a sore spot, I guess. It's better than not getting in at all, though, isn't it?

Plus, considering where I applied, being a second-tier acceptance would still be pretty great.

If I get an admit, I don't care what tier I was in. I think I'd be less enthusiastic about being the backup girlfriend (whatever that is... sure sounds degrading, though). :D

If I get an admit, I don't care what tier I was in. I think I'd be less enthusiastic about being the backup girlfriend (whatever that is... sure sounds degrading, though). :D

I won't mind either. I've been waitlisted one place and have been emailed a few times, where they explain that they are taking a reduced cohort this year, want to fund everyone, and are therefore being very cautious with admits. My stats are good but not mindblowing--so I understand how there could be a "better" batch ahead of me.

Plus, who knows, there could have been one on the adcom who was pushing hard for you, but there were circumstances (prof X really needs students/wants students) which pushed someone else just barely ahead of you.

What I am confused about are the 3 singular instances of people having heard back from 3 of the universities I have applied to (an acceptance, a rejection and one waitlist) in the results section of this website without there being any mention by other applicants about their statuses having been updated. I'm perplexed!

What I am confused about are the 3 singular instances of people having heard back from 3 of the universities I have applied to (an acceptance, a rejection and one waitlist) in the results section of this website without there being any mention by other applicants about their statuses having been updated. I'm perplexed!

Keep in mind that we on this site are just a small sample of the entire pool of applicants applying to graduate school. Not everyone may know about this site; and not everyone may choose to post the decisions they received from their respective schools. Just have a little patience, it's still early :)

Keep in mind that we on this site are just a small sample of the entire pool of applicants applying to graduate school. Not everyone may know about this site; and not everyone may choose to post the decisions they received from their respective schools. Just have a little patience, it's still early :)

:oops: Thanks! For now I think I'll make like the proverbial ostrich -- NO news is GOOD news! :)

Here I am, trying to be so good about not freaking out. Then someone posts an emailed rejection to one of my schools.

My thoughts: that school uses an online status check, which emails you when it's updated. The person said they were rejected by email. Did they mean the email told them to check the website? Or was it a personal email? If it was an email telling them to check the website, that means I will probably get one in the next couple hours. Because the graduate school handles the status website but the department makes the decisions. So the department wouldn't slowly filter in their decisions to the graduate school. It would all be one big batch. And now the graduate school is posting them one by one. Refresh email. Refresh email. Refresh email.

I think I'm finally in the "impatient and neurotic" club for this year!

For one of the universities I applied to, people have been receiving rejections, but not accpetances...and they use a similar system to what you describe (e-mail sent when status is updated). So maybe it's a good thing if you don't hear from them! Means you weren't in the batch of rejections. The possibilities are truly endless...

Here I am, trying to be so good about not freaking out. Then someone posts an emailed rejection to one of my schools.

I think I am pretty sure which school you are alluding to since that rejection posting freaked me out as well. I haven't received anything from them either.

It sounds like the UT Austin Jackson School of Geosciences has finished notifying people who are either accepted or invited for an interview - they sent a big email inviting people to their visiting weekend. Not that many people here seem to be geology people...

Sadly making my first post on this thread. Someone was accepted to UMich Health Services Organisation and Policy today. I thought it was one of my stronger applications in terms of writing sample and SoP, probably less of a good fit for matching research interests than other places. I have been mentally preparing myself for 100% rejection, but I'm still disappointed.