post here if one of your programs has started contacting...

frankdux

I know what you mean, and I wonder too, especially when, like Chicago anthropology, they have a stated policy that they never accept by email, never notify before 1st week of March, and sent out all the notices on the same day. The results updates have their weaknesses - maybe the email was from a potential advisor, maybe they asked directly for an answer, but we have no way of knowing that. Not to mention that it would be very easy to grief and stir up a huge amount of panic by posting false results.

...although I can't for the life of my imagine who would get a kick of of griefing poor little us.

About a month ago someone in my field posted a result and thenlike a week later the school emailed me saying I had everything in and the committeee would meet sometime in early March. So some people do post with faulty information so don't take everything on here as fact.

Yeah, I think people post on rumors too... and I know of people who have posted for a friend who they didn't think used this site and then that person also posted (seeming to double the number of accepted students).

I am trying to take my own advice to others and not assuming anything until I have a letter in my inbox or in hand.

I am trying to take my own advice to others and not assuming anything until I have a letter in my inbox or in hand.

Once I made a personal rule that I'm not going to go off any assumptions, I really did feel better. No more extrapolating! I'm only accepted or rejected when I'm accepted or rejected, and not before.

My undergrad advisor nearly gave me a royal panic attack by emailing me to ask if I'd heard anything yet. When I stopped hyperventilating I wrote back to say, essentially "nowhyshouldihave?haveyou?isitalloveralready?ohdeargodiwillneverbeacceptedi'macompletefailureaaaaarrrgh!" (I actually said: No. Have you got any intel?)

The response? No, it's way too early to know. You know how lazy anthro faculty are. Chill out!

:roll:

The response? No, it's way too early to know. You know how lazy anthro faculty are. Chill out!

:roll:

Haha, my undergrad adviser hasn't even asked how I'm doing. She's a complete hippie and terribly absentminded. It's brilliant she managed to get my letters in.

I just heard from UC Davis' Human and Community Development Department. I applied for the Masters in Community Development but was rejected. Sadness. At least I have comfort in knowing that it was probably a bad fit for me interest-wise. Crossing my fingers for my other schools!

• 2 years later...

One of my programs sent out its first acceptance for the coming year today (according to the results section.)

Now I'm going to go crazy.

UFGator, my top choice began sending out notifications (rejections as well as acceptances) SIXTEEN DAYS AGO. I count every day where I don't mangle the F5 on my inbox since then as a good day.

UFGator, my top choice began sending out notifications (rejections as well as acceptances) SIXTEEN DAYS AGO. I count every day where I don't mangle the F5 on my inbox since then as a good day.

Wow how do you deal with that? Holy crap.

I know what you mean, and I wonder too, especially when, like Chicago anthropology, they have a stated policy that they never accept by email, never notify before 1st week of March, and sent out all the notices on the same day. The results updates have their weaknesses - maybe the email was from a potential advisor, maybe they asked directly for an answer, but we have no way of knowing that. Not to mention that it would be very easy to grief and stir up a huge amount of panic by posting false results.

...although I can't for the life of my imagine who would get a kick of of griefing poor little us.

I applied for social psychology program in u of Chicago, and they said that the decisions will be made in the first week of March. But I have not received any interview notifications or anything. SO I assume I have been informally rejected. What I do not understand is that why couldn't they just let me know that I have been rejected ?! Why do they have to wait till the 1st week of March and then send out all the decisions (acceptances / rejections) altogether ? It is just such a brutal torture...I don't understand !!!

I'd rather they give me a clean shot and then I knew what fate is rather than being tortured slowly and painfully.

It's the last day of February...since every program I applied to does interviews, I'm pretty sure that I am implicitly rejected from everywhere that hasn't contacted me yet at this point.

...but you haven't been contacted:

according to this site, on friday someone was ACCEPTED and invited to a student weekend in february at NC State for mathematics. i suppose i could still be contacted next week. but... :x

Someone was accepted to my top choice program on a Friday, and I assumed that meant I was most likely rejected - but on Monday, the program director called me and offered me full funding, so never say never :D

News from Ohio State in Women's Studies and UWM and Madison in Music History. No word on funding anywhere, Gender/Women's Studies at Madison, official confirmation from Madison's Graduate School, or anything from Brandeis. (To be honest, I'm sort of expecting a rejection from Brandeis based on their super-competitiveness, but I'm taking it as a good sign that no one has posted any music acceptances/rejections on the results page yet.)

Got three rejection e-mails from Brown, Northwestern and UMN, with one acceptance e-mail from UC Boulder and one paper acceptance letter (????) from U of IL Urbana Champaign. No funding from the department at UIUC, but UC-Boulder mentioned a "support package" being finalized, so whatever that means, I have no idea!

Stanford, UT Austin, and Indiana University are still lagging behind, but Stanford probably got a billion applicants, UT Austin is a bureaucratic beast so I'm not surprised it hasn't gotten back to me yet, and Indiana seems like it's still stuck in the 1970's in terms of technology, so I'm not surprised either. And they had a January 15th deadline.

Anyone else have to apply using weird, outdated application portals or interfaces? I thought Colorado's and Indiana's were weeeeeeird. Brown too, but maybe I'm just used to ApplyYourself?

One of my programs has sent out both interview invites and generic rejection emails so far (assuming the results board can be trusted) and I have yet to receive either. Could they be holding on to my application in the off chance that all their interviewees are terrible and they have to invite more? Any other possible explanations?

The program is UC Berkeley Infectious Disease and Immunology (through SPH) if anyone has specific insider info...

One school called for interviews... I'm not in their first round, but not rejected. :(

Another school started calling people Friday, but according to the results forum they do it over the next few weeks. GULLLP

The Harvard Society, Human Development and Health program accepted someone last Friday, according to the results board, and by looking at the other Harvard Public Health programs, if you don't get an email the first time around, you're likely going to be rejected the following week. I've noticed that's the case with most programs actually, so, in the case of PhD applications, probably not good to hold onto any hopefully feelings once you see an acceptance, at least in Public Health! Best of luck to everyone.

Stanford Applied Physics has admitted a bunch of applicants around February 15. I saw some rejections since then, all of them had to inquire first. From that day on, I held my breath. Now I couldn't handle the wait anymore. I've contacted them too, so I'm waiting for the reject. It'll still be nice to finally know.

Edited by Bästli

One school called for interviews... I'm not in their first round, but not rejected. :(

Another school started calling people Friday, but according to the results forum they do it over the next few weeks. GULLLP

Hey Brandi, I noticed you are SLP, where are you applying... what school are you talking about called for interviews?