post here if one of your programs has started contacting...

frankdux

Indiana University's History PhD has started contacting, and these people have received 5-year funding and/or a fellowship -- now I at least know I'm not on their first tier of candidates. If I'm going to be rejected,kinda wish they would get it over with :roll:

Hang in there. Maybe acceptances are slowly trickling out. :)

I'm consistently surprised that rejections don't go out first... seems like they need to prepare more info for the accepted folks. (Although phone calls speed it up, I s'pose.) I just figured there were rounds of rejections as the pool is thinned, and each wave would mean more people would know they'd been cut.

I have a friend who sits on his U's admissions committee as a grad student rep, and I'll have to ask him about this. And I hope I get to do this in the future ;) I'm nosy.

I'm consistently surprised that rejections don't go out first... seems like they need to prepare more info for the accepted folks. (Although phone calls speed it up, I s'pose.) I just figured there were rounds of rejections as the pool is thinned, and each wave would mean more people would know they'd been cut.

I have a friend who sits on his U's admissions committee as a grad student rep, and I'll have to ask him about this. And I hope I get to do this in the future ;) I'm nosy.

I think there were some places that sent out rejections first. Duke English, maybe?

I agree, I wish rejections would go out sooner - even if they were just generic emails, just so I would know how many apples I have left in my basket. I can't shake the feeling that my applications are probably already in the circular file.

Might I ask why? Many of us here would have given our eyeteeth and our firstborn to know last week. :)

I would sell my soul for an acceptance letter*

*Buyers of souls: Upon reading the above statement agree to relinquish their soul to the author of the above statement instead of buying the author's soul. Please see: http://xkcd.com/501/

I haven't heard anything yet on my apps *quiver*. But I think Anthro departments tend to notify late. Inside info I can contribute is that the Anthropology department at Princeton only started meeting to consider apps last week.

I think it does vary from school to school and from program to program, but it seems to me that one reason for notifying accepted applicants first would be to give them more time to visit schools, talk to people, etc before they have to make a decision. This would especially make sense as it gets closer to April. It also seems like there are a lot of cases where people are notified that they've been accepted, but then they end up waiting a bit before they get any news about funding. (Although many students final decisions are contingent upon what kind of funding they receive, but maybe at least knowing you're in would compel you to put off accepting another school's offer). All speculation here.

Personally, I almost wish I hadn't done so much searching on the internet. Now I have a very good sense of when acceptances and rejections were sent out last year (which come first, which come later, the approximate dates, etc) and it's making me even more nervous. Ignorance would so be bliss, even if that doesn't have the power to change the ultimate outcome.

"Recommended by Program; processing at the Graduate School." When I logged in to check my app status today this is what appeared. Does this mean I'm in?!

It means you're most likely in. Most applicants who are recommended by the program get through the grad school and are offered admission. Congrats!!

"Recommended by Program; processing at the Graduate School." When I logged in to check my app status today this is what appeared. Does this mean I'm in?!

It mean's you're in. The department is responsible for reviewing the applications and they "recommend" admits to the grad school. The grad school just has to make sure you meet the minimum requirements (GPA < 3.0, etc.). You're in. Congrats!

I know people who have been accepted to Berkeley and Virginia and Minnesota in anthro. All via personal email. That's all the dirt that I have so far :)

Aaaughhh! Why must you tell me this? Now I'm going to have to compulsively check my email inbox at least twice as often.

how great! what school?