post here if one of your programs has started contacting...

frankdux

It's all over this board, but I can see the benefit of having a clearinghouse in one thread:

Duke, Psychology (developmental) - having heir interview weekend this weekend.

A couple weeks ago on a Thursday, one of my programs had sent out invites for an interview/recruitment weekend (same sub-discipline within the department as well). I assumed an implied rejection --at this point, being completely pessimistic and being either right or happily surprised is better than holding out hope.

On Monday, I got an e-mail inviting me. It caught me completely off-guard and I was pretty much convinced, even without the rejection letter, that I was out of the running. Needless to say I was thrilled.

We finally had a musicology posting (UNC-Chapel Hill) for Master's work, which sets off two panicked thoughts in my head. One is that I didn't get in (which would be disappointing; I really liked the professors and students with whom I have communicated), the other is the panicked hope that they are notifying Master's and PhD candidates separately (I know that they don't fund Master's students and only some of the PhD students). I guess I can only hope.

Does it count if you feel like they're contacting people, they just haven't gotten to you yet? I know one school is apparently accepting people through email/phone, but that was one person so what does that mean? I know it could mean a lot of things... But this all just brings back memories of middle school when you knew a bunch of people have been invited to the uber cool party because someone casually let you know invitations went out so you're just hanging out at your locker waiting for yours thinking "but I'm cool too!!! I want to go to the Spice World birthday party!!!" I mean, um.... yeah.

Emory Genetics and Molecular Biology contacted someone a couple weeks ago for an interview.

Their website says they interview through March, so fingers are crossed.

And I know NC State's Bioinformatics started looking at files two weeks ago

I know Northwestern has accepted a couple of people and contacted others for interviews. Haven't heard from them yet...

Looks like they have been notifying people over a few days already? People seem to have been getting phone calls since Friday, including today. Don't give up yet...

MIT's BCS program sent out all their interview invites already according to the results page. The departmental email had specified that they would only send out invites, not rejections, at this stage. So presumably everyone who didn't get an invite is either rejected or potentially wait listed.

Last time I applied, interview dates came and went for all my programs (with me attending one), but a day after my birthday in March I got a wait list email for a school I'd assumed rejected me. So there's probably still hope for everyone who doesn't get an interview.

Oh, and while I'm at it,

UMich Linguistics have contacted their first choice of interviewees (I was not one of them, unfortunately),

and UCLA Applied Linguistics sent off letters this morning saying they would start making their choices this week, and

would let people know by early March at latest.

:)

Someone posted on results that he/she was accepted to UT Austin for Sociology on Dec. 19...18 days after the applications were due. I haven't seen any other postings for Austin, so I'm wondering if this was just a rogue post...

Assuming it wasn't a lie, I have heard that some schools notify their top-TOP applicants ASAP then spend the next few months debating over the rest of us. Last year, the two people that posted acceptances to UT didn't do so until February.

People have been accepted into UChicago, Berkeley, and Cornell, starting last Friday. Where's my letter? :(

Not getting anything at this point doesn't necessarily mean you're out. I talked with the graduate chair at my school about this a few days ago. He said (at least here) the first round is obvious admits that are going to get in lots of places, and they only expect maybe one out of ten to actually enroll. I'd imagine responding earlier to these types of top applicants makes them more likely to enroll. Once they start to get idea of how many of those people are going to enroll, then they work their way down the list. He also mentioned that occasionally smaller private schools can be more sporadic in their acceptances, because instead of having a graduate chair/committee focusing on admissions, they'll just give your application to professors in your preferred research area. Chicago might be out of the picture (I think they generally get most of their admissions done in one wave), but I'd still hold out hope for Berkeley and Cornell.

Not getting anything at this point doesn't necessarily mean you're out. I talked with the graduate chair at my school about this a few days ago. He said (at least here) the first round is obvious admits that are going to get in lots of places, and they only expect maybe one out of ten to actually enroll. I'd imagine responding earlier to these types of top applicants makes them more likely to enroll. Once they start to get idea of how many of those people are going to enroll, then they work their way down the list. He also mentioned that occasionally smaller private schools can be more sporadic in their acceptances, because instead of having a graduate chair/committee focusing on admissions, they'll just give your application to professors in your preferred research area. Chicago might be out of the picture (I think they generally get most of their admissions done in one wave), but I'd still hold out hope for Berkeley and Cornell.

Ahh. That makes me feel a little better, but it doesn't make waiting around suck any less. :P