How Do You Prepare for an Interview?

ProngsLives

After receiving my first clinical PhD interview, I am also interested in this topic.

I have a phone interview with the professor I hope to work with on Thursday which is scarily soon, before the actual in-person interview in February. There isn't much time to prepare, but I plan on really going over their program as a whole, and reading a lot more about the kind of work that she does. I think with a phone interview, it is important to keep the conversation moving, so I plan on preparing questions about the program, the kind of work I could do, and could help on.

I think the same goes for any interview, that its important not only to answer concisely, but to have intelligent questions prepared.

Rehearse what you've done (research) over the past x years.

Be able to pitch your research interests in 15 seconds ('elevator conversation') or in excrutiating detail.

Know who (which PI) you applied under and be able to tactfully say why you want to work with him/her. This will probably be one of the most important questions asked.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years? I've been asked this question by several programs.

Prepare questions that are tailored to the program in question.

Be able to pitch your research interests in 15 seconds ('elevator conversation') or in excrutiating detail.

Know who (which PI) you applied under and be able to tactfully say why you want to work with him/her. This will probably be one of the most important questions asked.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years? I've been asked this question by several programs.

Thank you. This seems like a pretty good place to start.

I too have a phone interview coming up that I'm pretty nervous about so anything helps.

This sums it up pretty well!

Also, I would relax more about it if I was going through it again. I was pretty nervous for the first few phone/ in person interviews but literally every professor was laid back and receptive of what I had to say. I know there has to be some up tight profs at some interview but I ran into zero haha

The interviews I've seen can go in a ton of directions, but only two really need in depth preparation: Your past research, and their current research.

For the former, (as was mentioned) you want to be able to sum it up briefly as well as expound on it. Some professors I met with just wanted the general version of what I've worked on, while one handed me a pad of paper and a pen and wanted me to diagram all of the reactions I'd done and their mechanisms. You want to be able to do either.

For the latter, be knowledgeable about what research they've done (what they've published), but more-so you want to be able to ask insightful questions about future directions, and especially what you would be interested in doing if you went to work for them. You need to look for ways to weave your interests into the framework of their past research (and current projects).

For questions to ask- you want to have questions about the program, but also about the research group(s) you're most interested in. How many grad students, how do they do group meetings, what are the facilities available, how is lab space divided up, etc.

Also, this should go without saying, but practice your social skills.

If you're awkward in an interview, it's easy to get distracted from the content actually coming out of your mouth.

Practice answering questions with friends, but don't sound rehearsed. If you have good friends who are also research-inclined, tell them to ask followup questions to keep you on your feet. The more you're prepared, the better you'll be -- but DON'T just memorize your responses because you'll just sound like a robot.

Treat these interviews like formal conversations.

My best interviews were actually ones that transitioned into chit-chat after talking about research. When you're being personable and the faculty like you, it's a much harder package to turn down since being likable also serves as a pretty good signal that you'll get along with the other researchers there.

Agree with all the good comments above! I'll add a few more thoughts to the mix:

Depending on the program, you may experience either individual interview meetings or be part of a group of students in an interview with one prof at the same time. The individual meetings are straightforward: do the things the posters above mention and aim to have a conversation with the POI. Some profs simply aren't good interviewers; they will appreciate your ability to keep the conversation flowing and to ask insightful questions. Once you know your interview schedule and with whom you will be meeting, read 2-3 of their most recent articles (more for the POI/lab you want to work in). This will make you feel more confident going into the interview and also asking a question if there is a lull in the conversation. (Tip: You can create a cheat sheet of brief notes about each prof you'll meet with and his/her research. Use bathroom / coffee breaks as a time to quickly check your notes between meetings.)

Also, If you are asked an oddball or chicken-or-egg question, don't worry if you don't know the answer. These questions may be designed not to have a "right" answer but rather are being asked to test how you critically reason and think under pressure. This is a more rare interview situation but it does happen.

For the group interview situations, this can be a little tricky to navigate. Profs are usually observing how well you can communicate in a group setting (i.e., don't dominate the discussion but also don't be a wallflower who says very little). Try to seek a balance in the exchange and be able to build on other people's points. This balance speaks to your ability to be an effective communicator and collaborator.

One of my mentors told me to keep in mind that a graduate school interview is not only for the faculty to evaluate applicants. We are also in a position to evaluate the program, the environment, the other applicants (our possible peers) and think carefully about whether it's a good fit for us.

He said that keeping this in mind, and not being deluded by being wined and dined, will help me relax, be myself and fairly evaluate the schools I visit.

(I am still super nervous!)

Best of luck to everyone!

Does anyone know how the interview process is during an interview weekend? By this I mean will we have interviews with POIs only or with, like, graduate admission committees? Thanks!

Before my first interview, one of my undergraduate advisors set up a mock interview for me. He pretended to be the interviewer and didn't break character the entire time I was in his office. He even elaborately set up for one of our other faculty members to pop in to his office during the meeting and "meet me". After the interview was over we talked about my responses and he gave me feedback. I know this is a little over the top and may not be possible but I think practicing your responses out loud helps you sound confident. You want to be as relaxed and comfortable as possible during the interview. I think they go by very quickly and you want to use your valuable time to give great information about yourself and learn as much about the program as possible!

All good advice! I would add that you need to have a few thoughts on future research projects with your POI. This was hugely important for my interviews. It came up so many times, and not only with my POI, but other faculty members as well. Especially great, were the times other faculty would get excited by the fact that I had some ideas and they wanted to contribute to them!

Other than that, relax and be yourself! Because the truth is.... we want to impress you as much as you want to impress us. So generally, interviews will be a bit more relaxed than you anticipated. Yes, you will have that one awkward interview with a faculty member, but it isn't the end of the world. It is only one person. And try to enjoy it! You are in your dream situation, talking to experienced people in an area you want experience!! Take advantage and Good Luck!

Does anyone know how the interview process is during an interview weekend? By this I mean will we have interviews with POIs only or with, like, graduate admission committees? Thanks!

I first got am email from my potential advisor letting me know about the interview, and then she called me to explain the details of the interview process for me in particular. I assume it will be different everywhere, but if it helps, she told me that on my interview day I will be meeting with three different professors. I am very thankful she told me who, so I may do a little background research on their work as well. She also said that a portion of the day will be spent meeting and talking with other graduate students in her lab, and finally in the evening, all of the clinical labs will have a little reception to show their work to those of us there for interviews.

Basically, I am expecting to meet with multiple professors for each school I am interviewing at, but this one in particular has a very strong focus on collaboration, so they may put a bigger emphasis on meeting others

I first got am email from my potential advisor letting me know about the interview, and then she called me to explain the details of the interview process for me in particular. I assume it will be different everywhere, but if it helps, she told me that on my interview day I will be meeting with three different professors. I am very thankful she told me who, so I may do a little background research on their work as well. She also said that a portion of the day will be spent meeting and talking with other graduate students in her lab, and finally in the evening, all of the clinical labs will have a little reception to show their work to those of us there for interviews.

Basically, I am expecting to meet with multiple professors for each school I am interviewing at, but this one in particular has a very strong focus on collaboration, so they may put a bigger emphasis on meeting others

Cool, thank you! I ended up receiving an itinerary for mine, it sounds a lot like yours. Best of luck!