What does phone interview "mean"

Scalia

Some schools only interview people they'll most likely accept barring a terrible interview (like my program); most others it's nowhere near as generous.

I applied to a few schools where 8 got invited for 1 position. The majority seemed like there were 4:1 for interviews:acceptance, Whether or not the school factors in expected matriculation rate (i.e., admit 5 knowing only 2-3 will likely accept the offer to enroll) or admit on a sequential basis (like a lot of PhD programs in business, thus creating a very explicit waiting list) depends on the school.

It probably varies from school to school. I had one phone interview; my POI told me at the beginning of the call that she was phoning 4 or 5 people but could only invite 2 or 3 for a campus visit. Our interview was very brief, maybe 10 minutes. She asked things like: "Tell me about your honours thesis," "What research would you like to do with me?" and "What have you been doing this year as a research assistant?" I basically regurgitated things I had written in my statement of interest.

I was offered a phone interview by a POI from one of my top schools. I'm so excited...but then he wants to do the interview on Skype and video chat and now I am more nervous than I was before. Should I be concerned about what I'm wearing? What if I accidently make a face? Why did he have to add this whole new dimension to my anxiety?

Does anyone have any experience with Skype interviews vs. Phone interviews? Anything I should know?

I definitely prefer a Skype interview over a phone interview. The Skype interview is more like a real, in person interview. Dress/behave like you would for a regular interview. I found phone interviews are difficult because it can be really hard to read social cues over the phone! I had a phone interview and it was ok but still kind of awkward! I'd much rather have a Skype or in person interview.

Treat it like a normal, in person interview and you'll be fine.

Although there is more anxiety surrounding technical things that could go wrong, Skype interviews are much more natural. You get more feedback from the POI as you talk because you can see his or her facial expressions. I would dress nicely (I didn't wear a full suit, but I'm a woman and felt like I could get away with wearing a nice, formal sweater). And you can see what faces you are making on Skype because you can see yourself. Also, I would test your Skype with a friend to make sure it works properly.

What program are you doing the Skype interview with?

Had something interesting happen...I had a Prof. email me requesting a phone interview but also extended an invitation to visit in the near future.

I thought that phone interviews were usually aimed at determining if they wanted you to come interview?

Also, it was a Prof. that I didn't express interest in working with in my statement of purpose....wierd....

Had something interesting happen...I had a Prof. email me requesting a phone interview but also extended an invitation to visit in the near future.

I thought that phone interviews were usually aimed at determining if they wanted you to come interview?

Also, it was a Prof. that I didn't express interest in working with in my statement of purpose....wierd....

In that case the phone interview is probably a chance for the prof to ask you if you'd still want to come to the school if he/she was your advisor and not the people you listed in your application. Your POIs may not be taking someone or have invited others, but the prof thinks you'd be a good fit in his/her lab, and is now trying to gauge your interest and see if you really do have a good fit.

I just had a phone interview with UMICH, and my interviewer told me that I made the "shortlist" of 20 applicants and that they were interviewing all 20 to see who they wanted to admit. He also said they typically admit 4 to 5, but there was one year they accepted 8. This was not my professor of interest, but someone on the admissions committee whose job it was to interview all applicants and bring the interviews to the next adcom meeting.

I spoke with my POI on the phone, and it was much more of an interview than I thought it would be! I think I handled it well, but some of the questions were more difficult to answer than I had anticipated. I was invited to interview weekend, and I still am. She said that interview day is hectic so she wanted a chance to really have a conversation with me. It was around 30 minutes long. Overall, it was a positive experience-- just stressful! So my advice is to treat any phone conversation as if it is your interview. Prepare thoroughly and be confident!