Waiting it out for UK universities?

curls215

I applied to a DPhil program at Oxford, for which the decision date is supposed to be Jan. 13th. I was interviewed right before Christmas break (via Skype).

I'm a little on edge now, because I've heard of a bunch of people who heard back almost immediately (for better or worse) after their interviews, and for me it's been almost a month. It's quite possible that the holiday interfered...maybe staff were out of the office for a while, I don't know.

Is there anyone else who has applied to a graduate program in the UK for an early deadline, or better yet specifically Oxford? Anyone heard back yet?

I applied to the early deadlines at both Oxford and Cambridge (mid November and Oct 1 respectively). I have not heard a thing, nor been interviewed by Oxford. I have been interviewed by Cambridge, but haven't heard anything from them either.

Just FYI, I'm in history.

I applied to a DPhil program at Oxford, for which the decision date is supposed to be Jan. 13th. I was interviewed right before Christmas break (via Skype).

I'm a little on edge now, because I've heard of a bunch of people who heard back almost immediately (for better or worse) after their interviews, and for me it's been almost a month. It's quite possible that the holiday interfered...maybe staff were out of the office for a while, I don't know.

Is there anyone else who has applied to a graduate program in the UK for an early deadline, or better yet specifically Oxford? Anyone heard back yet?

I am not applying to Oxford, but I did a master degree there and know many people applied there or have become a Dphil candidate... It is possible that your POI is still waiting for funding decisions. If you don't care about funding issues, the acceptance rate should be pretty high after interview. Maybe you could directly contact the professor?

Good Luck! Oxford Dphil is great!

Hmm. Fingers_toes_x, thanks for the input - I'm fairly sure that a lot of the funding decisions happen later for this round of applications, but you got me thinking that at the departmental level they might be sorting out scholarship decisions this early.

To all the rest who have applied but not yet heard back, good luck!

I realized that the term just started today, so probably the holdup had something to do with admin staff being out of their offices on holiday.

I cracked and emailed the secretary, and at least for Oxford in Education, they're going to send out notifications this week...lureynol and twopi, perhaps the same will be true for math and history!

Rolling Admission with Leicester, hopefully will hear any day now. I was supposed to hear within 3 weeks of submitting but one of my LoR didn't get it in until 4 weeks (because their system won't submit for a letter request until you submit your application?) so my notice was just a notification that they're missing a LoR. I wanted to cry, and then I hunted down the professor and made her feel guilty since a friend was also waiting on a LoR for another application too.

Rolling Admission with Leicester, hopefully will hear any day now. I was supposed to hear within 3 weeks of submitting but one of my LoR didn't get it in until 4 weeks (because their system won't submit for a letter request until you submit your application?) so my notice was just a notification that they're missing a LoR. I wanted to cry, and then I hunted down the professor and made her feel guilty since a friend was also waiting on a LoR for another application too.

Liverpool also has rolling admission. I can say that it's no less frustrating waiting 4 weeks than it is 4 months. At least with 4 months, you don't get really anxious until it gets down to the wire. But I'm getting very high strung knowing that a decision could be days away.

Has anyone applied to/heard from Cambridge Engineering? My application status ("Sent to Degree Committee for evaluation") on the website hasn't changed for more than two months! I had my interview at the beginning of November.

@Anzaria: Does the Board of Graduate Studies you mentioned that promises to release results in February deal with all applications or only humanities?

I just got a fellowship from the University of Bristol for international students. It pays all of my fees and gives me a stipend. It's hard to get funding for international students for PhDs, but it isn't impossible. A lot of deadlines have passed now though.

Just got an email from Edinburgh telling me I had an interview, and the POI says she's heard "positive rumours" about the fellowship application.

Eeep!

Congratulations! Edinburgh is amazing. I'm currently a student there, so if you have any questions about the city/uni let me know!

• 4 weeks later...

congrats on your intevrview! You shouldn't get too anxious about hearing from UK schools just yet, as they follow a much different timeline than US schools. I'm doing a Skype interview with them next week. Can you give me any idea of what the interview is like?

I've been accepted to Durham's sociology master's program. I heard from them last week. :)

Congrats!

Have you guys found they want a relatively quick response turnaround? Leicester expects an answer from four weeks of the email and I still haven't received the letter packet. Hopefully they'll grant me an extension

Congrats!

Have you guys found they want a relatively quick response turnaround? Leicester expects an answer from four weeks of the email and I still haven't received the letter packet. Hopefully they'll grant me an extension

Merr, I don't know. I received a short email telling me that I was accepted and the acceptance packet will be coming shortly. I haven't received it yet, so I can't tell you anything.

Anyone in here applied to UCL? I applied in mid January and I've heard absolutely nothing. The website said six weeks so I am guessing that I should hear by the very beginning of March, but I haven't heard anything about an interview and I didn't even get an email that confirmed that my application was complete (I have since emailed the admin people and they did confirm that my app was complete and under review...this was a couple of weeks ago).

Anyone have any input?! I'm going crazy!

Merr, I don't know. I received a short email telling me that I was accepted and the acceptance packet will be coming shortly. I haven't received it yet, so I can't tell you anything.

My packet came almost 2 weeks later (marked priority but USPS hates my complex so...) but they are the most accommodating admissions office ever. They gave me an "indefinitely" extended deadline. Which is seems I won't need afterall.