Biostats MS program- how long can a bad grade haunt you?

So I am considering applying to MS biostatistics programs sometime in the future. I have my MS in neurobiology but decided that working the wet lab wasn't for me. I took Calculus 1 during my last semester of undergrad 6 years ago and earned a C. Frankly, it was my last semester and I was burnt out. I shouldn't have signed up for it at all.

Presently I am working at an epidemiological research center and about to take Calculus 2 after having refreshed myself of what I should have learned from Calculus 1. If I earn good grades in Calc 2, Calc 3, linear algebra, as well as 1-2 other math courses, is it a safe assumption that I have redeemed myself of my 6 year old blemish in Calc 1? Do I need to do additional math before applying? I know it is hard to speculate on hypotheticals but any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you're applying to a top place, it won't be totally overlooked, but if you do well in your other math courses this should overcome the sub-optimal performance in Cal 1.

Edited by cyberwulf

• 3 months later...

I agree, if you do well in Calc 2, 3, and the upper level math courses, I don't think they'll really care about your Calc 1 grade. In my undergrad at UMich, I had a terrible teacher for Calc 1 and got a B-, but got A/A-'s in the rest of my math classes. And BU, UMich, and Georgetown still admitted me for biostats.

Wow, I got a D in Cal 2. And C+ in Cal 3, even though the material was very easy, the instructor was a Ph.D student and was EXTREMELY stylized in her grading rationale and tests. The nutshell here is, if one excels in advanced classes, the basic or lesser ones will be overlooked?

• 1 month later...

Well, if you got a D in Calc II - what did you get the second time around. And one grade isn't going to kill you (I got a C in Calc I, and failed a remedial Biology course - still killed it app season). However, I also got A's in every other course a graduate committee would care about.

Mediocre grades in the ENTIRE sequence is not going to do you any favors I'm afraid. I would go so far as to suggest petitioning to retake the courses - or, taking your advanced math (intro to proof writing, upper division linear algebra and real analysis) and blowing those out of the water. I will say though, its still going to look a bit rough that you weren't able to conquer the Calculus series.

Well, I took Cal 1 in high school, AP CAL. Cal 2, first semester of college and wayyy to many domestic issues and it shows in other courses during the time. But Cal 3, entirely my fault.

I"m thinking of taking Advanced Cal 2 and hopefully acing that. I"m retaking Linear Algebra this summer. Hopefully, that goes well along with Math Analysis I and ODE in the fall.

Also, do you think it's a good idea to retake Cal 2 or Cal 3?

Edited by Hanyuye