Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Programs Fall 2012--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

@brancan, that was me who said I wish I'd get no emails but decisions. :) I almost died twice last week over nothing. I feel like, if I'm gonna have a heart attack, let it be for a good reason. :)

@clarisse, congrats on the UMich acceptance! I applied to American Studies there and am still waiting to hear, but it's nice to have that first acceptance down. Though, I will say it doesn't lessen the anxiety of hearing back from other programs, especially if you have other schools that are favorites. That's an unfortunate feeling I'm learning about this week, as I watch some of my favorite programs post results on the board and hear nothing, it hurts a little more than I thought it would, and more than I feel I have a right to be sad about. This whole admissions process is weirdly emotional. All the things you tell yourself to prepare, and then nothing really prepares you for all the emotions. Still, I'm working on staying busy, calm, and grateful. And trying not to come to the forums too often. :)

I also used the NRC rankings and the Doctoral Program Reputation Study for Comm programs. The other programs I applied to, I used NRC rankings and word of mouth. I actually found word of mouth most useful, that and placement and attrition statistics where I could find them. Nothing of course guarantees that we'll finish, but I just really want to be able to finish, publish, and have a shot at a tenure track position (if they still exist when I graduate!! hahaha!) ^_^

I have to agree with fanon_fanatic about using word of mouth to decide on schools. I asked my professor, who had similar communication research interests, to recommend me some schools that he thinks I should apply. That helped a lot. Although he thought too highly of me (because he doesn't know my scores and undergrad GPA), it actually pushed me to apply for good schools despite of my low self confidence!

I also got an e-mail from one of my school that they haven't received my undergrad transcript... so I sent one again... I think all schools should convert their application system to online system. Oh, the pain of depending on USPS mail...

@brancan, if you haven't received a UMich email it could be a good sign. I think they send letters to accepted folks. At least, I haven't gotten an email, and was told to watch for a letter.

@fanon_fanatic, thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. I was pretty happy with all the programs I applied to (I limited myself to a handful on purpose, so I'd be happy going to any of them), so I feel like I'll be satisfied even if I get in nowhere else. Of course, still not looking forward to those rejections :/

@brancan, if you haven't received a UMich email it could be a good sign. I think they send letters to accepted folks. At least, I haven't gotten an email, and was told to watch for a letter.

@fanon_fanatic, thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. I was pretty happy with all the programs I applied to (I limited myself to a handful on purpos

e, so I'd be happy going to any of them), so I feel like I'll be satisfied even if I get in nowhere else. Of course, still not looking forward to those rejections :/

Thanks! I appreciate the support. :) I saw someone posted a result about a letter/acceptance and I know that someone in this thread mentioned getting an e-mail. Sorry for forgetting your screen name, person from Korea. I'm too lazy to scroll back!

I really don't like how much free time I have to freak out over here.

@nullsymbol - never mind. I just looked at prior posts in this thread...let me guess: health comm or media, tech, and society?

You called it. I was accepted to the Media, Tech, and Society area. Thanks for the congratulations, and best of luck to you as well!

it's nice to have that first acceptance down. Though, I will say it doesn't lessen the anxiety of hearing back from other programs, especially if you have other schools that are favorites. That's an unfortunate feeling I'm learning about this week, as I watch some of my favorite programs post results on the board and hear nothing

Oops! I clearly should be sleeping more instead of checking grad cafe for the umpteenth time...I meant to quote the above text...not repost it. Anyway...

@fanon_fanatic - this is not good news! I've reached a whole new level of obsessive in checking my personal email and grad cafe on my iPhone. I was banking on a first admit as calming my crazy! Out of all my 8 applications, only Purdue has made an appearance on the results page...and, I don't know whether to even occupy myself with mourning that loss because they have 6 specialty areas of study and it seems that offers are being made in only one if those areas right now. So I'm waiting in excruciating agony...for some news...any news. Okay, that's not true--I need some "you're admitted" news!

I'm returning to school and am presently employed full-time...my employer does not know of my plans ... so my sudden obsessive attachment to my phone right now has to seem a little crazy to my colleagues. And...checking it 20 times an hour makes it hard to get any work done!!!!

OH, and @s@lly, this raises a very, very good question. When WILL you tell your employer your plans (assuming you get in, fingers crossed for you!)? The traditional two weeks notice seems a bit cruel and disingenuous given that we will know our future at least three months before we leave for the fall ... not sure what is appropriate here, though.

@clarisse09 - I think one month is sufficiently courteous to them and not putting too much at risk if they decide that they don't want you to stay once you give your notice. Don't feel bad. Think of it as just business--if the tables were turned...how much notice would they give you?

I'm actually job HUNTING right now, so I keep asking these questions to myself. I'm making an okay living freelancing but could be making so much more with a full-time job on top of my work now. But since I don't know if I will get into school (or get enough funding to go), I don't just want to take a job anywhere. It's kind of a conundrum. It's not like it's a good time to find a job, anyway, so who knows if anything will come up. I've been looking for a long time, though I've been somewhat picky (and even turned down a job a month ago).

I'm very much trying to prepare for all scenarios. At least I'm contracted as a writer/blogger until the end of September.

I'm also unemployed but will definitely take a job if it comes to me. I need to be able to save up some money prior to school, and sincerely every place I've ever worked for would not have shown me much courtesy if the tables were turned. I take a "that's business" attitude as well. :) But I'm applying primarily to places that I feel okay doing that. I'm not going to apply to say, my local nonprofit that I love to pieces or to a job that I need to prepare all summer just to begin in the fall.

@s@lly Yeah, I was kind of surprised myself. I figured I would definitely feel better. But maybe it's because I'm not working? I am also obsessively checking my phone, but I don't have a job so no good distractions :(

I hope everyone has a really good weekend, and gets out and about to do something fun! :) As for me, I am going to be indulging an entire bottle of wine......by myself.....lol

I'm a bit late in adding my comments to this thread, but I'm so excited to actually find a forum dedicated to communication programs (everything I find is engineering or science!) that I thought I would still say hello.

I have just gotten my acceptance to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and am thrilled. They have such an interesting program. I'm waiting to hear from Albany, UConn, and UMass. Since I currently live in the Albany, NY area and my husband is very happy in his job, we've decided to stay here. Now that I know I'm in at Rensselaer, UConn and UMass are out of the running, so I'm really just waiting to hear what Albany has to say.

I want to study media effects, especially the ways in which mass media messages affect decision-making and disclosure in healthcare contexts. I'm also very interested in the influence of communication technologies on interpersonal relationships.

In scanning the other comments, I saw at least one other applicant to UAlbany, so perhaps we'll be meeting in person at some point. Good luck to everyone!

This is so frustrating :(

I still haven't heard from any school and getting neurotic. Ok, I applied really late (like on the deadlines) because I did not know applying early could be helpful for several reasons (in Germany we are pretty much on time, just as our cultural stereotype suggests).

Especially not hearing from Northwestern (MTS) after people received invitations to interview weekend via email really makes drives me crazy, turning my bad GRE scores up and down in my head, comparing them to other applicants, looking over my applications again, getting more frustrated... AHHHHHH

---

But, before I drown myself in self-pity: Congratulations to all of you successful applicants! It is so great that so many of you got acceptances already!

@Mediamom Congrats on your acceptance! Your research interests are very similar to mine although I applied to different schools.

@Saviya Yes...Northwestern is kind of making me freak out also. I hear some ppl have been invited on a campus visit but I haven't heard a word either. Some say it's really challenging to get into Northwestern :(

@ Iamhere: Hmm... But we're both internationals. It might not mean anything but maybe they did not want to pay for our flights :P (always trying to find some optimism hidden in the darkest places)

I did send them an email yesterday because I was getting really nervous and needed to send them something anyways so I asked whether she has any updates on the admissions process... I hope that wasn't to bold but I am driving me and my whole family, friends, projectteams etc. crazy so I had to do something.

@Saviya LOL! That might be it! :D Please tell me if you get any news.

Northwestern University's ranking is strangely low, but I find some professors to be very desirable to work with.

Anyways, I hope next week is full of acceptances for everyone!

@saviya- I identify with feeling neurotic...as I too have not heard anything from the 8 schools I applied to. But, the reality is that it is still really early, despite it seeming like everyone else is being admitted... It is really in February and March that most offers are made. Also...it is true that many schools consider and make offers to international applicants separately from domestic applicants.

@brancan and @fanon_fanatic - if you know you are going to school in the fall, then don't be picky about a job...take anything you can get even if it has nothing to do with your career interests. What is most important is to make money and save before school. You will regret it if you don't take advantage of the time you have to do so. I dont know what stage in life you are at, whether you have had to support yourself or if you still have other sources of support, but the funding that comes with most offers is not a lot of money. You (or your parents or your spouse) will be grateful for a small emergency fund.

Edited by S@lly

@S@lly, that's great advice. I worked for a number of years after my undergraduate degree before my MA, so my spouse and I have been on our own for a while. But this gap year between my MA and Ph.D is driving me a bit nuts....and to think all the time I was in my MA program I wanted nothing more than to relax and "do nothing." LOL I am applying to any job I can possibly get my hands on. :)

@saviya- I identify with feeling neurotic...as I too have not heard anything from the 8 schools I applied to. But, the reality is that it is still really early, despite it seeming like everyone else is being admitted... It is really in February and March that most offers are made. Also...it is true that many schools consider and make offers to international applicants separately from domestic applicants.

@brancan and @fanon_fanatic - if you know you are going to school in the fall, then don't be picky about a job...take anything you can get even if it has nothing to do with your career interests. What is most important is to make money and save before school. You will regret it if you don't take advantage of the time you have to do so. I dont know what stage in life you are at, whether you have had to support yourself or if you still have other sources of support, but the funding that comes with most offers is not a lot of money. You (or your parents or your spouse) will be grateful for a small emergency fund.

Ha! Good advice, in theory, but I'm still not sure I'm going to be going to school. I mean, I need to get in first. And then it will depend on whether or not I'm offered funding, and how much. Most of my schools guarantee funding but not all of them do. So I've been a bit picky on the job front. I do actually have a job, but I'm self-employed and I'm looking to add another job into the mix. So I'm still earning money and paying my bills. I'm just not saving much. But once I know if I'm going to school for sure, and where, I'll probably take your advice and take anything I can get for a few months. I don't mind working 60-80 hour weeks.