Interview Preparation

Roo

I have an interview at Caltech coming up, and I'm wondering if I should do anything special to prepare, other than the usual (know my research, know what my personal statement said, know the school's research, know my interviewer's research). I have a few interviews, including some that I've already done, but I haven't felt this concerned about any of them. It may be that Caltech does what I think is the coolest research (except for maybe another program that I'm interviewing at this weekend), but it also could be the reputation of the school. Do I need to brush up on my physics/dif eq/etc.? I'm applying for the biochem/molecular biophys degree. Should I expect to be grilled about previous coursework?

Sorry if I'm being overanxious... I really want this interview to go well :)

I don't know about the sciences, and maybe it's different, so take the following with the amount of salt needed :)

I've talked to several profs at one of the universities that I'm applying to, and the conversations were so informal that I kind of didn't even realize that they were probably interviews. There were no pop quizzes, nothing that could remotely be called "grilling", we just kind of talked--about the state of the field, about my previous work, about their work and how they work with grad students, about the strengths of their program. It felt like they were not so much trying to vet my qualifications, but rather that they had decided I was qualified based on my application, and were trying to get a sense of what kind of co-worker I'd be. Based on my experience, I'd give the same advice I give to folks going into job interviews--be polite and personable, have a few (concise!) things in mind to say if they open with "tell me about yourself" and have a few (smart, thoughtful) questions in case they ask if you have any at the end of the talk. Keep in mind that they may be trying to impress you as much as you're trying to impress them.

How were your other interviews? Did you feel like you were being examined?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the sciences, and maybe it's different, so take the following with the amount of salt needed :)

I've talked to several profs at one of the universities that I'm applying to, and the conversations were so informal that I kind of didn't even realize that they were probably interviews. There were no pop quizzes, nothing that could remotely be called "grilling", we just kind of talked--about the state of the field, about my previous work, about their work and how they work with grad students, about the strengths of their program. It felt like they were not so much trying to vet my qualifications, but rather that they had decided I was qualified based on my application, and were trying to get a sense of what kind of co-worker I'd be. Based on my experience, I'd give the same advice I give to folks going into job interviews--be polite and personable, have a few (concise!) things in mind to say if they open with "tell me about yourself" and have a few (smart, thoughtful) questions in case they ask if you have any at the end of the talk. Keep in mind that they may be trying to impress you as much as you're trying to impress them.

Wow - that was great advice!

In addition, a little helpful tip that someone told me to do during the interview:

Take a small little notebook with you. Anything that fits snugly in your pocket will do. Before your interview, write down a list of questions you'd like to ask each professor/grad. student. Keep the list of questions handy, and you can refer to it during the interview if you get nervous or might have forgotten something.

Also, you can note down something that stands out about the professor...maybe he's bald and likes to joke about it! These little things can make a good impression, and break the ice and help you remember.

It's good advice but I haven't tried it. But it's worth a shot, if you like noting everything down like I do.

Edited by SamAli

When I went on my interview, I carried around a "professional" folder - big enough to hold a pad of letter-size paper, copies of my resumes, and notes I had taken about the faculty with whom I was speaking + questions I wanted to ask them.

I would definitely suggest either the pocket thing that SamAli mentioned or what I did - it really was helpful, and it helped me remember details of our conversations that might have otherwise slipped my mind (what with four back-to-back interviews) that I mentioned in the thank-you notes I later sent.

Based on my experience, I'd give the same advice I give to folks going into job interviews--be polite and personable, have a few (concise!) things in mind to say if they open with "tell me about yourself"

Thanks. When they ask a simple question like -"Tell me about yourself?"- where should one begin? Should I start with my name? My current lab research where I worked?? Start with the degree I have?? Start with the city/state I belong to? Why I applied to PhD?? Finally, how long should the answer be?

This seemingly "simple" question can be tricky, isn't it?

This sounds a lot like the advice I've been given from my current professors and my friend who got into the school I'm trying to get into as well. I was told by 3 of my profs that "You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you" and "they want to know you will be a good fit socially and personality-wise as well. All of you will be working together for a long long time; the social dynamic has to be good."

I'm getting on a plane tomorrow for my interview and I've decided that I'm just going to BE MYSELF. I am prepared of course, with some research on the profs there, the history of the school, their points of pride etc as well as my own research, but I'm going to relax and just let them see who I am.

Thanks. When they ask a simple question like -"Tell me about yourself?"- where should one begin? Should I start with my name? My current lab research where I worked?? Start with the degree I have?? Start with the city/state I belong to? Why I applied to PhD?? Finally, how long should the answer be?

This seemingly "simple" question can be tricky, isn't it?

A resource at my campus suggests using the "P.A.W.S" model. Profile, Academics, Work Experience and Skills.

A response is too short if <15, too long is much >1 minute.

Best!

If the interview is arranged informally and you have interesting things to say (or if they genuinely enjoy talking to you), then maybe it might be possible to even arrange a second interview too.

I don't think this applies in most cases, but a number of professors do say "talk to me again anytime".

I wonder if anyone else has done this?

Edited by InquilineKea