Acceptances/Rejections/Decisions

sociology27

Another Princeton reject! I'm not particularly bitter (it was the bottom of my choices), but I will say two things about their application process that made me snarky:

- Spelled recommendation incorrectly when they notified me that a letter of rec was submitted

- Rejection email had 2 different fonts. One for each paragraph.

I promise, I'm not bitter!

Another Princeton reject! I'm not particularly bitter (it was the bottom of my choices), but I will say two things about their application process that made me snarky:

- Spelled recommendation incorrectly when they notified me that a letter of rec was submitted

- Rejection email had 2 different fonts. One for each paragraph.

I promise, I'm not bitter!

Ditto... I'm not bitter at all... This was my first notice from any program so it's not the best feeling but I knew that the program wasn't for me (can't really support medical soc) and they prob knew it too. So all is well...

Ditto... I'm not bitter at all... This was my first notice from any program so it's not the best feeling but I knew that the program wasn't for me (can't really support medical soc) and they prob knew it too. So all is well...

Hang in there! (I didn't mean to sound flippant about my rejection - and I'm immensely grateful I have one offer.)

I thought my fit with Princeton was pretty good (migration/demography), but I think I was a bit lacking on the quantitative side for them. It would have been a prestigious program, but the idea of living in Princeton wasn't at all appealing to me, though I can't name any specific reason for feeling that way.

Really, really nice personalized rejection from a POI at Berkeley--but full acceptance with funding at Michigan and U of Chicago, and still waiting to hear back from 4 more schools! Now that I've gotten positive news from SOMEWHERE, I'm a lot less devastated about the Berkeley rejection than I thought I'd be. Anyone else in at Chicago or Ann Arbor?

Really, really nice personalized rejection from a POI at Berkeley--but full acceptance with funding at Michigan and U of Chicago, and still waiting to hear back from 4 more schools! Now that I've gotten positive news from SOMEWHERE, I'm a lot less devastated about the Berkeley rejection than I thought I'd be. Anyone else in at Chicago or Ann Arbor?

Did you get a sense at all if Berkeley decisions were made for just the soc. dept. or also the joint demography/soc. program? I realize that's a very specific question, but thought I'd ask, since a few of us are in the joint program boat (which is done through the demog. dept). And congrats on your acceptances!

congrats Nic42!

what is your area of interest at Berkeley?

I'm sorry to ask, but the awaiting is killing me.

I know, the waiting is killing me, too--I'm still waiting to hear back from four other places, and the suspense is just ungodly. SO glad my POI decided not to torture me by drawing out the inevitable for another three weeks.

I'd love to tell you more, but I have NO IDEA whether demography decisions have been made yet--I don't even know if they've drafted a waitlist yet. I also don't know whether they've notified all of those accepted--I just know that I, personally, didn't make the cut. Sorry I can't be of more help!

As for my research interests, I do primarily qualitative work around identity formation and the micro-level impact of social movements. I've also got a pretty solid foundation in gender and sexuality studies, disability studies, and queer theory, and have done some regionally-focused fieldwork in West Africa concerning queer identity formation processes, particularly in Liberia and Sierra Leone.

the wait right now is killing me. I want to hear back from someone, but I have to wait patiently I guess. I hear back from UCSC next week and the week after that NYU and then a few more weeks, UMass

I was hoping for SOMETHING from Seattle today.

Not getting any word on Michigan isn't that surprising.

This is the week though, I can feel it. Seattle shoudl be done this week, so will Michigan, and Boulder will do invites on the 15th... good luck to all, lol.

Where's the Boulder date that you reference coming from?

The silence has been killing me. I finally got an email from one of my top school asking to set up a phone call to discuss the "status of my app". The phone call is two days away. So, more silence! And I have no idea what to expect in the phone call. I do feel some relief to have contact from a school though! Anyone gotten an email like this before?

Applied: Brown, UCI, Penn State, U Washington, Penn, U Maryland, Johns Hopkins

Edited by socquantgenderdemog

The silence has been killing me. I finally got an email from one of my top school asking to set up a phone call to discuss the "status of my app". The phone call is two days away. So, more silence! And I have no idea what to expect in the phone call. I do feel some relief to have contact from a school though! Anyone gotten an email like this before?

If it's Penn State (which I am assuming it is) that basically means you're accepted :)

If it's Penn State (which I am assuming it is) that basically means you're accepted :)

Wow, that would be amazing. I feel like it could be an interview or waitlist notification. Guess I'll find out soon enough! In the meantime, preparing for an interview!

Wow, that would be amazing. I feel like it could be an interview or waitlist notification. Guess I'll find out soon enough! In the meantime, preparing for an interview!

Well the history of people on this forum saying they're contacted for the same thing consistently suggests it to be an admittance phone call.

I'm going to jump the gun and say congrats :D

Oh, and mind sharing your stats and interests?

I can confidently say it's an acceptance. Congrats and I'll see you at the visit (if you go). :)

Looks like CUNY denials are going out right now

CUNY is dropping the r bomb for sure. I just got an email. 3 rejections in a row... Needing some chocolate right about now.

Edited by quantitative