SUNY Buffalo Comparative Literature

aliko54

Hello everyone, I've just got accepted to SUNY Buffalo Complit :) They offered 13,600$ with tuition waiver..Now, I'm from Istanbul, Turkey, and I really need to know whether you can live decently with that kind of money in the US / in Buffalo..And if there's anyone out there who knows something about the program and its professors, please do write something!!

PS. Sorry for the reposts! I'm new to the forum

Edited by aliko54

Congratulation Aliko54 :) . That is superb news. I am sooo jealous. It seems so early for decisions. I am not too sure about the professors at Buffalo, but it sure is a great program. Just wanted to send you cheers!!!

Edited by Marxist_feminist

Hey, I am also from Istanbul but I went to school in the US (for college). I'd say one could possibly live with that money under certain conditions but if I were you I would definitely find a job on-campus - a job that pays weekly.

Congrats indeed!

Pelin

Hey Pelin! Thanks ! They already offered a teaching assistantship, and this is the price they are willing to pay..I might get a presidential award, dunno yet..I'm from Bogazici btw, and it sure feels odd to write this msg in English instead of Turkish..

I can tell you that that is about the average stiped that humanities grad students are offered at SUNY Buffalo. The city itself is cheap and you "can" live on that amount but it might be tough. Some grad students live on campus at special town homes and occasionally the cost for this is included in a stiped, but it is not common. I have a friend from India who got a stiped around $15,000 + tuiotion and he managed to make it by not having a car and living cheaply. The bus system is decent here, especially if you find a place close to South Campus. Your classes will be at North Campus - but don't worry the buses run in between them, every 15 minutes. He got a room in a house that housed about 4 other foreign students and he said it was a fun experience (and cheap).

If you accept your SUNY offer please feel free to message me any questions you have. I can try to direct you to websites and let you know what areas of Buffalo you should avoid. -- there are many--

As for you US students - most don't hear until March so don't stress!

Well I just received acceptance from UB as well - but in chemistry PhD. As far as I learnt living in Buffalo is not as expensive as in NYC which I lived. But it's very cold there. Lots of snow during winter and long snow-time too, If you are from Turkey and if you are sensitive to cold weather, you may need to watch out. Compare to NYC, Buffalo is somewhat boring - not a lot of entertainment, and a lot less cuisine you could dig out after class. SUNY tuition is not very expensive, but you need to manage your living expenses.

So congratulation on your acceptance in UB!

PS - Every department is different of course but I emailed the Anthro department on Feb 23rd (of my application year) about some random question and they told me the good news in a reply. It was one full week before the letter came in the mail! Our applications were due around Jan 16th I believe. So maybe this info can help ease some of your fears.

Thank you all for the most helpful comments..NinjaMermaid, thanks a lot! I will definitely send you a msg if I accept SUNY's offer. There isn't much to do fight now other than waiting for the other unis I suppose..

Hello everyone again! Pelin, I applied to USC, Northwestern, Columbia, SUNY Binghamton, Duke, Yale, Princeton, Rice, Umass Amherst and Indiana...I've just learned that I got a yearly extra $4000 for Buffalo, so I believe it's a good offer now..