For fun/stress relief: History Trivia Game

CageFree

I will say that there is a professor in my department that just published a book and he's joking about how no one is going to read it/buy it. I totally understand, it's hardly his first book, but I also think he has no idea that this one is I think different...

It's Hendrick Hartog's history of inheritance and old age btw.

Good plug ... and I do find it dismaying to know that some day we will write a book, pour our heart and soul into it, yet barely anyone will read it outside of a small circle of friends, colleagues, etc

Good plug ... and I do find it dismaying to know that some day we will write a book, pour our heart and soul into it, yet barely anyone will read it outside of a small circle of friends, colleagues, etc

Yeah, I guess my point about that particular book and why he's going to sell a lot and clearly doesn't realize it is that a bunch of doctors and a bunch of law firms will buy a copy.

That's why it's always good to remember to address larger issues. The "so what?" questions as my advisor liked to call them. The more you relate to larger questions, the more you will appeal to a wider audience.

The term "sideburns" comes from the name of Civil War era Major General Ambrose Burnside, who wore his facial hair in that fashion.

Similarly, one of the attributions to the origin of the word "hooker" for prostitutes comes from Union Major General Joe Hooker.

Similarly, one of the attributions to the origin of the word "hooker" for prostitutes comes from Union Major General Joe Hooker.

These are my two favorite American History trivia facts! (Hooker and Burnsides!)

The "camp followers", if you will, were called "Hooker's army" ... another alternate name comes from a prominent area in NYC called the hook and was famous for the ladies of the evening who resident in the area, i.e., Hookers.

Matt Damon grew up living next to iconic historian and social critic Howard Zinn in Boston. Zinn served as a community leader in the area, and a grandfather-esque figure to Damon.

Later, when Damon wrote the screenplay to Good Will Hunting, he included a shout-out to Howard Zinn in the dialogue. Thus, in the movie, when Damon's character chats with Robin Williams' character about a collection of books, Damon says something along the lines of "You want to read a fucking history book? Read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. That book will knock you on your ass."

Speaking of the Super Bowl, Lamar Hunt, the man who came up with the name Super Bowl and former owner of the Kansas City Chiefs is the only man who's name appears on champiship trophies for two different professional sports. The Lamar Hunt Trophy goes to the winner of the AFC in the NFL and the Lamar Hunt Open Cup for soccer.

Matt Damon grew up living next to iconic historian and social critic Howard Zinn in Boston. Zinn served as a community leader in the area, and a grandfather-esque figure to Damon.

Later, when Damon wrote the screenplay to Good Will Hunting, he included a shout-out to Howard Zinn in the dialogue. Thus, in the movie, when Damon's character chats with Robin Williams' character about a collection of books, Damon says something along the lines of "You want to read a fucking history book? Read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. That book will knock you on your ass."

I love this moment in the movie.

Speaking of the Super Bowl, Lamar Hunt, the man who came up with the name Super Bowl and former owner of the Kansas City Chiefs is the only man who's name appears on champiship trophies for two different professional sports. The Lamar Hunt Trophy goes to the winner of the AFC in the NFL and the Lamar Hunt Open Cup for soccer.

speaking of cups and soccer ... the FA Cup is the oldest association football tournament in the world ... also the term soccer came from Oxford University, where the slang there was to add an 'er' to the end of certain words ... such as rugger ... for rugby ... and of course soccer ... for association football

Tea bags were invented over 2,000 years after the discovery of tea. (It really took that long?)

Also - the first legal forward pass in football took place at my current university, Carroll University in Wisconsin.

Tea bags were invented over 2,000 years after the discovery of tea. (It really took that long?)

Also - the first legal forward pass in football took place at my current university, Carroll University in Wisconsin.

American-Football originated from Rugby-Football, which itself started when a student at Rugby school was said to have picked up a football (association football) and ran with it, contrary to the then traditional rules.

• 2 weeks later...

A mid-eighteenth century mariner was able to smell the fragrance of fresh pine from 180 nautical miles off the coast of N America.

speaking of mariners, the United States Marine Corps hymn's opening line discusses two of the USMC's first major international conflicts, the Barbary wars (to the shores of Tripoli) and the Mexican-American war (from the halls of Montezuma)

The great Jewish comedian Sid Caesar got his name because his father was a tailor in the old country. When he arrived at Ellis Island he related this to the customs official by saying the only words he knew in English: "scissor, scissor," and the family name became Caesar.

speaking of Caesars ... the title of Caesar didn't come into vogue until the first non-Julio-Claudian, Galba, became emperor and took the name even though he had no relation w/the Julio-Claudian family

• 2 weeks later...

Well guess since this the feast of St Patrick, I can throw this out there: although the Patron Saint of Ireland,like a lot of Patron Saints of these European countries, St Patrick actually isn't of Irish origin but is believe he was either a slave from Gaul or somewhere else on the European continent.

• 2 weeks later...

Germans have a specific name for the identity crisis that happened prior to and after reunification - Mauer im Kopf (Wall in the head).

I also love the term 'ostalgie,' or nostalgia for life prior to reunification.

In 1756 the town of Uxbridge, Massachusetts granted Lydia Chapin Taft the right to vote in the colony because her husband had recently passed.

Louisa Adams, wife of John Quincy Adams, was the first and only foreign-born first lady.

Until the 2010 NBA All-Star Game in Dallas, the largest recorded attendance for a live indoor sporting event in North America was held by Wrestlemania III (in 1987 no less), with 93173 people in attendance.

Just a quick question -- later in the 1500s, when Protestantism emerged, the (spiritual) descendants of these Roman "Christians" became "Catholics," and, today, usage of "Christianity" implies "Protestant". Wouldn't it be more proper/accurate, then, to refer to the Ancient Romans of the time as Catholics (especially as the descendants of these Roman "Christians" are now known as the "Roman Catholic Church")? Or is there some reason we refer to the Romans as "Christian" when, in fact, the modern "Catholic" can trace his spirital/religious roots to the Roman, which is something that the Protestant-Christian can't do in the same manner?

Just wondering.

Christianity today does not necessarily equal Protestantism. They are Roman Catholics (vs Eastern Orthodox) because the papal seat was in Rome after the 1st Great Schism. Many early Christians did not believe only in one god and many were Jewish Chrisitians. It took a very long time for monotheism to come around after the rise of Christianity.