For fun/stress relief: History Trivia Game

CageFree

During the debate over what to do about the Jewish refugees during World War II, the US government considered placing them in Alaska. That idea was shot down. (the refugees ended up in a little camp in Oswego, New York.)

Hitler had a long-time girlfriend whom he married about a week before his suicide.

During the Hellenstic period, Jews were so integrated into the society that it was impossible to tell who was a Jew and who was a pagan without lifting up his tunic.

I remember reading in a journal article (in a Sexuality seminar) that the Ancient Greeks believed the uterus floated around inside a woman's body, complete with horns.

hence the term "hysteria."

During the debate over what to do about the Jewish refugees during World War II, the US government considered placing them in Alaska. That idea was shot down. (the refugees ended up in a little camp in Oswego, New York.)

It was turned into a novel by Michael Chabon I believe ... The Frozen Chosen?

The Simpsons (G.O.A.T.) holds some of the following records:

1. Longest running American sitcom

2. Longest running American scripted series in primetime

3. Longest running American cartoon in primetime

4. Longest running sitcom in the world

5. Longest running primetime cartoon in the world

Martin Luther King Jr was born Michael King Jr, but his father, "Daddy" King changed his name from Michael King Sr to Martin Luther King, Sr. (to honor the German Augustinian monk) and his changed his son's name in the process as well.

It was turned into a novel by Michael Chabon I believe ... The Frozen Chosen?

Ha ha! Maybe your best quip yet...i think you are actually Matt Groenig, pursuing a PhD because you have realized that the need for a career change is imminent...

When the Ottoman turks conquered the capital city of Byzantine Empire in 1453, they re-named the city Istanbul- which means "the city of Islam." This was the ultimate slap in the face to Christians:

-The city's former name of Constantinople was self-named by Constantine, the Roman emperor, over a thousand years earlier.

-Constantine was the first true champion of Christianity among the Roman emperors: he legalized Christianity throughout the empire, made it the official religion of the empire and credited the new religion with his rise to power.

-Constantinople stood as the epi-center of Eastern Orthodox Chrisitianity for centuries before its fall to the Ottomans

Ha ha! Maybe your best quip yet...i think you are actually Matt Groenig, pursuing a PhD because you have realized that the need for a career change is imminent...

When the Ottoman turks conquered the capital city of Byzantine Empire in 1453, they re-named the city Istanbul- which means "the city of Islam." This was the ultimate slap in the face to Christians:

-The city's former name of Constantinople was self-named by Constantine, the Roman emperor, over a thousand years earlier.

-Constantine was the first true champion of Christianity among the Roman emperors: he legalized Christianity throughout the empire, made it the official religion of the empire and credited the new religion with his rise to power.

-Constantinople stood as the epi-center of Eastern Orthodox Chrisitianity for centuries before its fall to the Ottomans

In 1814 the US Army changed its cap plate designs to a simpler design in order to save money.

*I originally put 1812, whew--caught that before this very important information altered the universe as we know it!

Edited by LadyRara

In 1814 the US Army changed its cap plate designs to a simpler design in order to save money.

*I originally put 1812, whew--caught that before this very important information altered the universe as we know it!

How could make such a GLARING mistake ... please turn in your history badge and gun ... you're off the case rookie

As far as trivia goes ... the US Air Force got it's origins in the United States Army Signal Corps but ironically the current aviation wing of the army, United States Army Aviation Branch, is it's own independent body within the Army and not under the Signal Corps

Constantine did not get baptized as a Christian until he was on his deathbed. This was a very common practice in the Roman World... the idea was to go to heaven with a clean slate.

Edited by teachgrad

How could make such a GLARING mistake ... please turn in your history badge and gun ... you're off the case rookie

As far as trivia goes ... the US Air Force got it's origins in the United States Army Signal Corps but ironically the current aviation wing of the army, United States Army Aviation Branch, is it's own independent body within the Army and not under the Signal Corps

<_< But I'll never turn in my gun.

...........___..............__..........................................

.......... |....\______/.....|................................................

...........|.......................|...................................

...........|..HISTORIAN...|............................................

...........\....................../.....................................

............\.................../.......................................

..............\_______/...............................................

B. I was wrong and accuracy is paramount in this discipline;

You sir ... can never work for the history channel w/that kind of mindset! ... in case anyone can't tell I DESPISE the History Channel almost as much as Cato the Elder despised the Carthaginian empire. He ended all his speeches as such: "Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam". This meant "In addition, I think Carthage must be destroyed".

You sir ... can never work for the history channel w/that kind of mindset! ... in case anyone can't tell I DESPISE the History Channel almost as much as Cato the Elder despised the Carthaginian empire. He ended all his speeches as such: "Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam". This meant "In addition, I think Carthage must be destroyed".

Do you hate Ken Burns as much as one of my professors?

You sir ... can never work for the history channel w/that kind of mindset! ... in case anyone can't tell I DESPISE the History Channel

What do you have against trash picking, pawn shopping, truck driving and rifle shooting game shows???I thought History Channel 2 might actually attempt to provide some historical documentation (of whatever quality), but, no, they only care about explaining the origins of the Universe...they cant even throw me a sympathy morsel of Modern Marvels...

The entire Discovery network has so jumped the shark...for instance, remember when TLC was "the Learning Channel"...ha ha

The entire Discovery network has so jumped the shark...for instance, remember when TLC was "the Learning Channel"...ha ha

Totally not to defend either corporation but the History Channel is part of the A&E networks and the Discovery Channels are a different network. And speaking of, it has a limited appeal but the Military Channel (part of the Discovery Channels) is actually producing some fairly interesting historical series.

What do you have against trash picking, pawn shopping, truck driving and rifle shooting game shows???I thought History Channel 2 might actually attempt to provide some historical documentation (of whatever quality), but, no, they only care about explaining the origins of the Universe...they cant even throw me a sympathy morsel of Modern Marvels...

Thank god for netflix.

UC Berkeley (and the surrounding city) was named after an Irish Enlightenment philosopher named George Berkeley (pronounced "Barkley," as in the retired Hall-of-Fame NBA player and now-TNT studio analyst/pundit Charles Barkley). Berkeley's theories rejected our modern, Locke-based understanding of reality, and instead revolved around the idea that objects only exist when they are perceived. To put it in simple terms, if asked the classic question "If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?", Berkeley would've answered "No."