The merits of MA to PhD-

I know there was a thread in which everyone was concerned about applying with an MA.

For those of you who have masters degrees, would you say that it was worth it or do you wish you would have gone straight into PhD programs?

I essentially knew that I wanted to do a PhD after undergrad, but, as it happened I ended up doing an MA first (finishing it up now). The MA was necessary in my case. It was especially helpful because my undergrad degree was in a peripheral field to Literature/English. There are a few things about my MA program that make it particularly useful for those wanting to continue on to the PhD – such as being able to take PhD-level courses. The MA has taught me how to handle PhD-level reading loads, assignments, and discussions. And, of course, it's given me great contacts and LORS. I do feel as though if/when I do get into a PhD program, I'll be fully prepared for it. Also, the degree itself is relatively cheap, especially compared to other such programs. If you're unsure about whether or not you want to pursue a PhD, I'm sure attempting the MA first would help you decide. I certainly know several people who decided that they had had enough of school after the MA.

I too had a peripherial undergraduate degree and, on top of that, I spent several years working before going back to school, so that MA was essential. I'm sorry I had to work while doing it and that this fact limited where I could go, but all in all, it was hugely beneficial. I think fit is less important at this level, anyway.

What I really wish is that Schools were more transparent about whether they prefered the MA or not. UVA, for example, states that they make only limited number of terminal M.A. degrees, but that M.A. students who wish to continue on the the PhD will have to re-apply, and that [no duh] the process is very competative. I'm not sure if this means most of their PhD candidates come in with an M.A. or if applying to continue with an M.A. is "very competative" simply because there are fewer spots for candidates who already have an M.A.

Rumors on the results Board seem to suggest that B.U. accepts only a small number of students who already have an M.A.

Of course, no program sets these numbers in stone, so good luck getting a solid answer, like everything else about this process, I guess.

yes and yes. i came from a small (although rigorous) canadian university, and during my fourth year i applied to three american phd programs and a master's in the uk. unsurprisingly - more likely due to lousy 1st & 2nd year grades than anything else - the us schools rejected me. the uk school took me on and i found that i flourished in the grad school setting, not to mention collected references from some well-respected thinkers and got two publications and two conference papers under my belt. i also had a chance to really immerse myself in my field of interest, get a better idea of the sort of thinker i want to be/am and put together a really solid statement of purpose (none of this "i've always loved books since as soon as i could read and so i want to..." stuff). now, in the calls i've had from the us schools i applied to this time around, the director generally says something about my "focus" that i wouldn't have been able to demonstrate without my master's year.

i should say - i was fortunate enough to find a master's program exclusively in my focus area, so i didn't have to take any courses outside of my period of choice.

What I really wish is that Schools were more transparent about whether they prefered the MA or not. UVA, for example, states that they make only limited number of terminal M.A. degrees, but that M.A. students who wish to continue on the the PhD will have to re-apply, and that [no duh] the process is very competative. I'm not sure if this means most of their PhD candidates come in with an M.A. or if applying to continue with an M.A. is "very competative" simply because there are fewer spots for candidates who already have an M.A.

I've heard SO many contrary things about this from so many different people, and, have pretty much chosen not to think about it this time around. I feel like for some schools you might have to be willing to do a second MA as well, if they accept you on that level. Especially if you have an MA peripheral to Literature/English.

Germaine,

I've also heard nothing but contradictory things. Basically, if comes down to the particular department, just like anything. That's why I wish individual departments would address their individual expectations more clearly.

It's bad enough that the odds of getting an offer from a school like Columbia are 20-25 offers out of 680 applications, but if they only make 2 or 3 offers to current M.A. holders, shouldn't we know this before spending 125 bucks? I guess they figure with odds that slim to begin with, it doesn't matter anyway.

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

Right. I wholeheartedly agree that departments should be clearer about this. Everyone (including LORS) is left to speculate one way or another. It seems to me that if someone is a good enough applicant, they should be accepted regardless. Yet, certain programs "prefer" certain types of applicants. I don't even really understand why a department would prefer someone with a BA over an MA; maybe it's the department wanting to "groom" students from the ground up? In the end, they probably don't want to discourage anyone from applying (or, perhaps, giving them money). But, I've already thrown so much money away on applications in past years. It's frustrating.

It is quite frustrating, especially this idea that the department wants to "groom" you. It makes having an MA and writting a strong SOP so difficult. Am I being to specific about my focus? Am I not being specific enough about what I gained from completing an MA? There's no answer. In the end, I tried to just stick to my passions and hope that gets through, but I can't help thinking there is something I OUGHT to be emphasizing that I missed after spending months obsessing over unanswerable questions.

UUUURGH. I'm supposed to be working on my MA thesis right now. Oh, the guilt.

I also tried to stick to my passions in my SOP, though, I did a lot of obsessing, trying to figure out what "they" wanted to hear. Really, my main goal was to prove that I am capable of doing the things that are required of PhD students. "Talking the talk, walking the walk," so to speak.

I also applied to CUNY, by the way. I think they'll be coming out with decisions relatively soon. Nervous about that one.

Edited by Germaine123

I've decided to stop fretting over this. My BA is in film, not english, so I went back for an MA that would provide more of a broad base to build an English degree off of (Humanities--so there's some history and philosophy in there as well, which I think, ultimately, will be more beneficial than purely English courses). I'm happy with my decision, and I feel better prepared because of it.

If schools are so picky and snooty about an applicant's pedigree and background, they can suck it. I don't wanna go there anyway.

(At least, that's what I'm telling myself this week.)

Not to state the obvious, but I think this depends on your individual situation. I chose the MA program because of where I currently live (no schools offering Phd programs around here). If I lived closer to UVA or some other school allowing for a "condensed" MA directly leading into a Phd program, I probably would have gone for that. Though, now that I am completing the MA, I do not think I could have skipped it. I'm very happy with my decision and I'm more than delighted with the Pell grants that I receive each year. It has been the cheapest route for me. I've also been pleasantly surprised with the unique learning opportunities, intellectual stimulation of the faculty, and the multifaceted approach of the courses. For these reasons, I believe I'll be a more versatile literary professor because of the MA.

The hard part will be finding a decent (and close) Phd program when I complete the MA. Anyone ever uproot your family just so you can get your Phd? I HATE the thought of online Phd programs (not a snob, just love the classroom). Well, maybe we'll move before that time! Good luck!

Edited by I'llTakeScotch

I got my MA, and I think it was the best decision for me. At the time, I wasn't able to move to get a PhD because my husband was still working on his degree, and to be honest, I wasn't 100% convinced I wanted the PhD. Well, I wanted it, but wasn't sure if I had what it took. I also received my MA at the same place I received my undergrad, which some people believe is the kiss of death, too. Again, I didn't have much of a choice, but I enjoyed it, and I was able to teach, which a lot of MA students do not get to do at bigger schools that have PhD students, and I believe that has helped me tremendously. I have been able to teach during my time off before applying to PhD programs (was waiting for my husband to finish up school), which has not only given me great experience, but it has really solidified that this is, for sure, what I want to do.

In the end, I think only you can answer what is the best decision for you because there is no standard of what schools want, so do what is right for your situation and hope for the best!