MA decisions

PhDreams

Accepted into Stanford ICE via email! Awarded a tuition fellowship!

hey JSOC, congrats!!! I got into IEAPA, but the tuition fellowship they are offering is pretty negligible. Have they offered you a graduate assistanship or an RA position as well?

Got a rejection from Stanford tonight, but I'm actually not that bummed! Lol my pride is dented a little, but it wasn't meant to be. Congrats to everyone else and good luck to those on the waitlist :)

I'm in the same boat as you, TexanLex. Got a rejection from Stanford tonight as well. Stings, for sure, but just reminding myself that it's going to make the decision-making process one step easier. Besides, only more good things to come from here!

Congrats to Stanford (and everywhere else) admits! :)

Hello hello! Got a rejection from Stanford ICE too! Stung a bit, but I'm already in my number 1 school! Funny how almost everybody here who got accepted to Columbia/Vanderbilt/Penn to the ICE/IED/IEP programmes got rejected from Stanford! Ha! Guess you can never tell about these things!

Congrats to all those who got in! And best of luck to those who are still waiting on the decision. :)

Lol! Yes, it's so random how decisions turn out. I got rejected from Penn and waitlisted at Stanford.

I remember at the beginning of this cycle I had an "advisor" tell me that I was applying to too many of the same kind of schools (i.e. competitive schools) and that it was a bad move because if I wouldn't get into one then I wouldn't get into any of them. I'm so glad that I knew better at that point and did not listen based on the amazing info I had received from Gradcafe.

Though this is the same lady who told me to consider "local" options like the school she went too... :wacko:

Lol! Yes, it's so random how decisions turn out. I got rejected from Penn and waitlisted at Stanford.

I remember at the beginning of this cycle I had an "advisor" tell me that I was applying to too many of the same kind of schools (i.e. competitive schools) and that it was a bad move because if I wouldn't get into one then I wouldn't get into any of them. I'm so glad that I knew better at that point and did not listen based on the amazing info I had received from Gradcafe.

Though this is the same lady who told me to consider "local" options like the school she went too... :wacko:

Somebody tried to sell me the same thing too! Something about how Columbia, Penn, Harvard and Stanford end up accepting the same or at least same kind of people. That's just not true! The supposed 'competitive' schools are all looking for different kind of people.

Best of luck for Stanford! Hope you get in! :)

Somebody tried to sell me the same thing too! Something about how Columbia, Penn, Harvard and Stanford end up accepting the same or at least same kind of people. That's just not true! The supposed 'competitive' schools are all looking for different kind of people.

Best of luck for Stanford! Hope you get in! :)

Agreed. Even if it was entirely a numbers-driven game (which it is not ... and far less so than law school admissions), very few non-delusional applicants have a <1% of being admitted. Apply to enough schools, and statistics* would say that you'd have an increasing chance to get into one of them. Since admissions committees are made up of different people, it would stand to reason that they often focus on different things.

*Technically, the sample size for any particular applicant would be too small, but the general premise holds.

Agreed. Even if it was entirely a numbers-driven game (which it is not ... and far less so than law school admissions), very few non-delusional applicants have a <1% of being admitted. Apply to enough schools, and statistics* would say that you'd have an increasing chance to get into one of them. Since admissions committees are made up of different people, it would stand to reason that they often focus on different things.

*Technically, the sample size for any particular applicant would be too small, but the general premise holds.

I also think that the people on the admissions committee have been there long enough to tell the difference between applicants who're really into the programme and those who've applied just as a safety net. For example, while I wrote extremely personalised statements for Penn and Harvard, for Stanford and NYU, I wrote generic statements, mostly recycling what I had for Penn and Harvard. It's only now that I look back at them do I realise how completely uninterested I sound!

It's only now that I look back at them do I realise how completely uninterested I sound!

Haha I just said the same thing about forcing a fit at Penn. At the time I didn't realize it was so obvious but upon reviewing it after my rejection I realized that it was sooooooo obvious. They had just cause to reject me . Sadly... lol

Haha I just said the same thing about forcing a fit at Penn. At the time I didn't realize it was so obvious but upon reviewing it after my rejection I realized that it was sooooooo obvious. They had just cause to reject me . Sadly... lol

Happens! What's your number one school, btw?

I finally heard back from UPenn today. After two weeks of torment, I finally found out that I got in!

This one was the first decision I got, so I'm pretty pumped and so relieved. Now I can breathe, waiting to hear from HGSE, BC and BU...

BTW, I'm in Language and Literacy Program (M.S.Ed). I am yet to come across someone else who's applied to the same program.. Anyone?

Edited by trig

I finally heard back from UPenn today. After two weeks of torment, I finally found out that I got in!

This one was the first decision I got, so I'm pretty pumped and so relieved. Now I can breathe, waiting to hear from HGSE, BC and BU...

BTW, I'm in Language and Literacy Porgram (M.S.Ed). I am yet to come across someone else who's applied to the same program.. Anyone?

Congrats!

Congrats @trig!

I'm still baffled as to why I have not heard a thing from Penn. I posted a comment on the admissions blog asking if it was normal to not have heard anything over 5 weeks after my app was sent for review (which I know is normal, since some others on here have said that's been the case for them, I just wanted to get an in-depth answer from Penn). The admissions blogger said that Higher Ed is up to date on their decision making so I should've received notification and that I could call admissions or the department if I wanted. I called admissions, and the receptionist said that they're still making decisions and that she would email the department to let them know I inquired about my status.

Gahhh this is all so confusing. Lol from now on, I shall keep my mouth shut and wait. Mostly because I didn't realize until today that waiting is better on my nerves than actually receiving an email with a decision :wacko:

Gahhh this is all so confusing. Lol from now on, I shall keep my mouth shut and wait. Mostly because I didn't realize until today that waiting is better on my nerves than actually receiving an email with a decision :wacko:

I was speaking to someone in Penn and they told me that Higher Ed is one of the most popular programmes at GSE, so they usually have a lot of applications to review. So maybe that's what's taking time?

BTW, I'm in Language and Literacy Program (M.S.Ed). I am yet to come across someone else who's applied to the same program.. Anyone?

Congrats! Why don't you join the facebook accepted students page? I think I saw a couple of Language and Literacy people there. Btw, what programme have you applied for in Lynch? I'd applied to the Applied Developmental Psychology programme and heard from them almost 3 weeks ago.

Thanks everyone! Hope you all hear more good news in the coming month!

kamadeva, I hope she gets in! I heard back exactly 4weeks and a day after my application went under review, so hopefully she'll hear from them soon!

Texanlex, I agree with ak1. I've seen so many higher ed and ed policy applicants I wouldn't be surprised if it took longer to review the application..I'm guessing I heard back so quickly because there just aren't that many applicants for my program. But good luck! I'm sure the wait will pay off.

Ak1, congrats and thanks for the info! So I'm guessing that you've already made your choice?

For Lynch I applied for Curriculum&Instruction, with focus on Language/Culture subfield. My second recommendation wasn't received until the end of January and they forgot to waive TOEFL for me until Jan 30th, so I wouldn't be totally shocked to find out that I didn't make it. I guess I'll just wait and see until they make it official...