MFA at 47?

Cinnamon Latte

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and thought I would introduce myself. I have always wanted to get my MFA, but some people in the field I've been studying with don't think it is a really good idea for me. I do not work in the Painting/Art field but I do have a BFA from years ago and do sell some work and show regularly although no gallery rep right now.

I am 47 (a young 47, but still). I do not have any dependants so I'm really free to move or not if I choose to do this and get accepted into a program. However, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg at this point in life, I'd like to feel good about retirement. I was thinking about Low Rez programs in Massachusetts or even Maine and Vermont.

I think an MFA will help in focusing me on this finally as my life and obtaining gallery representation and just overall transitioning into Art as a full time serious part of my life. I am tired of trying to manage 2 jobs. I just want to make this transition once and for all. Its kind of now or never, don't you think? Has anyone else here made a successful transition later in life??

What's your current income like? If you're managing 2 jobs, it doesn't sound as though it's where you want it. If your goal is to feel good about retirement in a financial sense, then skip the MFA. Chances are small that it would help your income significantly. On the other hand, if you want to feel good about retirement personally, then knowing you've had that extra education, plus the boost it give your art, might contribute to a productive, happy retirement.

Only go get an MFA if 1) you want a college teaching credential, 2) you need studio space, or 3) you're feeling the need for some serious criticism and development of your artwork.

On the other hand, if your hard work at 2 jobs has provided you some financial security, you're free to do as you please.

One piece of advice: those low-residency programs are very expensive. If you're mobile, you'll be much better off just moving to a good program that's going to pay YOU for attending.

Thank you Zane!

Losemygrip,

I have a day job which pays $50,000/yr, I put away about $8,000/yr for retirement (last 6 yrs), pay a mortgage and save a little--my artwork is job #2. I hadn't really thought about it like this: One piece of advice: those low-residency programs are very expensive. If you're mobile, you'll be much better off just moving to a good program that's going to pay YOU for attending." Hopefully my work is good enough for that kind of welcome into a good program. I don't mind moving temporarily, or even permanently. From my research, pretty much most accredited schools are expensive, so I will now open up my vision to accomodate other schools outside of Mass. I would love to go to Maine...

My reason for attending would be #3 above and maybe #1, but I am super shy so teaching is a big anxiety provoking step for me. I wish it wasn't so, but it is.

I don't know much about funding there, but MECA in portland, maine is a really great little school. the art scene in portland in general, although not comparable to one you may find in a big city, is very energetic. You should go visit the school on a first friday and see it for yourself!

I'm finishing my undergrad (which I started over 30 years ago) at age 51. I'll be 52 when I start my MFA. Getting a great deal of debt is a bit scary at this age, but I'm having a great deal of fun pursuing an art education after raising a family and having several long careers.

Never to late to go for it. Look at Kandinsky or Grandma Moses for inspiration. Both started later in life. I'm sure there are many more.

Fool4nine, BrianMc,

Getting into debt IS scary. That is Awesome for completing school at 52! My day job is not fulfilling but it is neither stressful nor boring. The hours are 6-3 or 7-4. Twice a month I am able to work four 10 hour days and have one weekday off. This helps with doing art but I would rather be happy by giving an MFA a try. So, I know I must force myself out of the shyness and I give you a lot of credit Brian for being a bartender and getting out of your comfort zone. Its great you've got that to help with money while you are pursuing teaching credentials. You are right as are others here.

I will visit MECA, I hear its great there and I will also consider something in Boston.

All the posts I've read have really helped. I AM going to make it work!!

I'm off to see the Degas and the Nude show at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, its the last day. I'm sure it will be an inspiration!!

Thank you everyone!

He there an MFA at 47 ain't that bad... sometimes it's even better (I'm in my late 20's). I did my B.F.A. and my M.A. at the University of Quebec in Montreal and I've met some really good students in those age range: they usually have a great knowledge of art history and have different outlook on art (not always going for what is trendy... oouuuh!!! let's all copy David Altmejd after the 2010 biennale type of trendyness)... they are also very high commitment peoples. I've learned a lot from those peoples... mind you that they don't usually go to bar and party all night longs :P.

One guy I met, Charles, was working as a government official (high paying job), had a PHD in economic, still gets great reviews for his doctoral thesis even 20 years later, got offered jobs as teacher and whatnot but turned it all down to start a BFA and simply paint and do installation. I found that great!

I started out as super shy also but for those past 5 years (2 years in BFA, 2 years during MA and 1 years outside of all of those) I've been T.A. for so many hours and courses that it dosen't even make me flinch to give conference now... but I get some butterfly but I just tell myself it's love: jedi mind trick... although trying to picture the attendance in their underwear always crack me up!

Actually going through an MFA is a way for me to get access to more government funding pertaining to art: we have a pretty good funding system in Canada: so far the conservative government didn't mess that up yet... but in the US the cost of attendance is crazy; it's almost scaring me!!! I'd get by for free or near free in Montreal. But he... who risks nothing gets nothing... the careful never lives!!!

In any case as we are in art we can always made ourselves some alter ego... just responding by yes, no or toaster with a stoïc face might be a good option.

Why not! At (a young at heart) 50 this is my second year applying for MFA. Last year I applied to 3 schools, got accepted to 2 schools, and waitlisted to 1. I'm applying again to see if I get a better deal this year. My main focus for an MFA is to develop my work + to transition from my day job to teaching and/or mentoring roles. I don't think there's any right or wrong age for pursuing knowledge or creativity. Its when its right for you that counts. Good luck!

I am all for going back to school -- I'm just a few years younger than you are, and I took the plunge. However, for me, it was a move that improved my finances. I would not have considered a self-pay program (kids to get through college . . . ). Good luck with whatever you decide. Before starting my current program, I took classes at a local CC. Much more affordable than the university, but perhaps a bit limited for what you want. I enjoyed the quality of the courses at the CC, got a good review of classes I'd had eons ago, and really enjoyed the sense of community (which was stronger in many ways than at my current program, where people are just too busy).

Cinnamon, Maine is not exactly "opening up your vision to schools outside Mass." if you ask me.

If you can afford the drastic drop in income and are dissatisfied with your current career, then go ahead. But definitely do your research and cast a broad net.

• 2 weeks later...

Cinnamon,

I'm pretty sure MECA is only a low res. mfa program. I've met a number of people who have gone through it and not been very happy.

Portland however, is a very cool city.

I'm forty six and am applying for similar reasons. Doubt creeps into my brain everyday. I have a wife and a dog and my own small business but I'm still compelled to seek out this opportunity. it will be a huge disruption and a giant financial hit but if I don't do it I'll always wonder.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone,

I go back and forth all the time. This month I'm leaning toward not going. BUT, I am still working as if I do plan to submit a portfolio. The finances are a killer but as Galkyd said, I will always wonder if I don't do it. One of the teachers at my local Art Museum has an MFA from Tufts (don't know if that's a good program or not) and from what I know it appears he got the MFA in order to teach. He's got no website and no dealer so it makes me wonder why he did it -- and he is at least in his 50's. I'm hoping to have more of a career than that if I go to all that trouble!

Thanks everyone,

I go back and forth all the time. This month I'm leaning toward not going. BUT, I am still working as if I do plan to submit a portfolio. The finances are a killer but as Galkyd said, I will always wonder if I don't do it. One of the teachers at my local Art Museum has an MFA from Tufts (don't know if that's a good program or not) and from what I know it appears he got the MFA in order to teach. He's got no website and no dealer so it makes me wonder why he did it -- and he is at least in his 50's. I'm hoping to have more of a career than that if I go to all that trouble!

I came across an interesting article (perhaps it was posted by someone in this forum?) that was questioning art students going for MFA degrees since they don't have the same guarantees a lawyer or a medical doctor have once they finish their degrees... The article put MFA degree in the same category as those other "professional degrees". Personally, I want an MFA more than anything in the world not because I want a career at the end: I've come to terms with my art practice and I really want to be in that environment to further the investigations I've began this past year or so. I'm 47, so I'm giving myself the greatest gift of my life.

If I were 20+ something instead, no work experience, I would not be contemplating an MFA so soon in my life. I know there are exceptions, but I'd wait for the work to mature I bit more before jumping into grad school...

Good luck, I hope everything works out for the best for you....

Yes, its a gift to myself to get the MFA. I want to be able to pay back the loans before retirement. That's kind of what I meant above, I wonder why that teacher would not do all he could to sell his work. An MFA would mean a committment to art and selling work is not necessary I know, but it would be something I would try to do.

Yes, its a gift to myself to get the MFA. I want to be able to pay back the loans before retirement. That's kind of what I meant above, I wonder why that teacher would not do all he could to sell his work. An MFA would mean a committment to art and selling work is not necessary I know, but it would be something I would try to do.

So go to a school that provided lots of financial aid. There are at least 15 such schools that I'm aware of (likely many more). A few will even pay you to attend so you may not have to borrow anything. Of course you would likely have to move wherever those programs are.