CUNY FL12 Acceptance

I think it's a great idea, but I hope it's the first in a series, because I can't make it tonight!

(And I didn't apply to CUNY either. And I only applied to two English departments. But still, I'm a baby dressed like a penguin, so you know you want to include me.)

Well, as we know, CUNY accepts a large cohort, and a good one too, so we can assume that quite a number of the best (ECF-funded) candidates will drop. I assume that's what happened with me receiving the fellowship today, and as decision time gets closer I'm betting more and more will drop and more ECFs will be re-issued. So I wouldn't count it out yet! (Although, good lord, this is one damn expensive city)

I officially declined (both the general offer and the ECF) on Monday. Unless CUNY is super-fast with moving through the general waitlist/funding waitlist, in which case you received my ECF, my spot should be going to someone else soon. :)

Meeting GCers tonight was super fun (at the GC no less). CUNY was very cordial and everyone seemed very enthusiastic about the program. They made the 2/2 seem like a godsend, even though it's a lot of work. Also, that 21 out of 25 for hiring last year was pretty remarkable. I was very envious of the person who spoke who got a job at Penn State.

All in all, a very fine visit. I would be more than happy at CUNY. Gonna be a tough decision.

Tripwllis-- perhaps were you the scholar with the notebook in the back row? I was in the granny sweater asking questions about manipulation and the suspension of disbelief. Rachel (Corbman) and I are out to drinks currently. Woo!

Hah! I know her. Cool. I was not him. I was in the 3rd row in the corduroy jacket, glasses, mustache, with a sticky-note pad. I don't remember a granny sweater person! Bummer.

Oh yeah she's the shit--- did you have a yellow note sticker pad? I asked a question in the session and was talking to prof most of the evening.

Bummer. I missed ya. I wasn't at the friday forum thing, just the open house. I did indeed have the yellow note sticker pad.

I know!!! How to narrow it down to just three... I'm especially drawn to the theory stuff as well. Do you know if we'd be required to take intro to doctoral studies in the first semester? Probably, right?

I know!!! How to narrow it down to just three... I'm especially drawn to the theory stuff as well. Do you know if we'd be required to take intro to doctoral studies in the first semester? Probably, right?

I think it may be required first year, but not necessarily first semester. Also, I might have an equivalent course through my M.A., especially since I'm already at CUNY. I guess we'll see. It doesn't seem like all first semester students could really take it anyway, right? I think the course caps are like 15 and there's something like 25 incoming students.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought everyone should know a clarification about the teaching that I hadn't heard about. The ECF requires you to teach 12 credits per year, but they can be divided up a number of ways. Comp course workloads are typically 4 credits (though I heard some talk that CUNY pathways might be trying to reduce it to 3), so if you were to teach all comp courses in a given year (as I imagine one might in year 2), you will probably wind up with a 1/2, not a 2/2, which sounds a little better. If you're teaching a combo of lit and comp, you will probably have to teach a 2/2 to meet the 12 credit workload requirement, since lit courses are only worth 3 credits. However, I wonder if I taught a combo of lit and comp and wound of with, say, 14 credits in a year if I'd be compensated for the addl. work or allowed to save up the credits toward another year? Huh. I'll have to ask.