CUNY FL12 Acceptance

Was thinking earlier that I will probably go here unless I get into Harvard or Yale. Although, I still have some thinking to do and I need to know about funding. Also, Amherst is a cool little town. Buffalo is definitely out at this point. CUNY is an amazing program. Definitely a top choice.

I would make the same decision re Buffalo. SUNY is a good school, but my brother's wife is from Buffalo and when it snows 3 feet here in Boston, she acts like that's not that much snow! It gives me a bad feeling about January in Buffalo.

Rutgers supposedly gives good funding , so if they accept you, at least visit.

Not to mention, you have other Boston schools on your list :)

Was thinking earlier that I will probably go here unless I get into Harvard or Yale. Although, I still have some thinking to do and I need to know about funding. Also, Amherst is a cool little town. Buffalo is definitely out at this point. CUNY is an amazing program. Definitely a top choice.

I can definitely confirm that Amherst IS a cool little town (went to UMass Amherst for undergrad). They also have the most delicious sandwich shop ever. It may be a shock to move there from NY, but it's good to know that the city and Boston are just a few hours away and always available for a weekend trip.

Also, is it absurd of me to apply last minute to CUNY's MA in Liberal Studies? The deadline is March 1st, and it seems as if MA students enroll in PhD classes in various disciplines... Anyone have some info on the program?

I can definitely confirm that Amherst IS a cool little town (went to UMass Amherst for undergrad). They also have the most delicious sandwich shop ever. It may be a shock to move there from NY, but it's good to know that the city and Boston are just a few hours away and always available for a weekend trip.

Also, is it absurd of me to apply last minute to CUNY's MA in Liberal Studies? The deadline is March 1st, and it seems as if MA students enroll in PhD classes in various disciplines... Anyone have some info on the program?

It is REALLY tempting to get out of the big city into a quaint little place where I can focus on my studies, I'll say that much. Plus, that's such a literary town -- would be inspiring. How was your experience in terms of academics at UMass Amherst? Just curious. A lot still depends on funding... I think I can get the Amherst TAship, but CUNY's limited fellowships make me nervous. I was an early acceptance, so I hope that counts for something. I'm not sure I can do full time adjunct and the PhD...

I don't know a ton about the MALS program at CUNY, other than it does tend to attract a lot of people who aren't academic lifers, as any MA program in this area does. People get MAs for a lot of different reasons, and most of them are not to spend another 5-6 years in school. So, if you do go there, be wary of that and get your focus and goals established with your professors very early so they know how to treat you as a student. Also, it does seem like an attractive option since it sets you up to go into other areas of study than just English -- you could do a PhD in poli sci, soc, whatever floats your boat. And since interdisciplinary work is so highly valued these days, that seems pretty golden. And YES, some of the classes from the doctoral program are open to MALS students, but I imagine they fill up very fast, so keep that in mind.

I saw J. Mascis several times in Amherst and Northampton. He was usually pushing his son around in a stroller. Never approached him, but he seemed cool...

I'll PM you with details about UMass. Overall, it was a great experience.

And I am really attracted to how interdiscplinary the MALS is... Screw it, I'm going to apply. What's another $125, am I right??

I would encourage you to apply to MALS. There are a lot of great things about the program. Trip, from what I've seen, people don't tend to sign up for the PhD-level classes right away, so, if you register on time you'll most likely get into the ones you want. Overall it depends what you're looking for. Resources for PhD-track students are there, but, you do have to make it work for yourself (Make it work!). It also seems as though they're in the process of expanding the program right now, too, so, there may be better courses offered within the MALS program itself moving forward. Cquin, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Edited by Germaine123

I saw J. Mascis several times in Amherst and Northampton. He was usually pushing his son around in a stroller. Never approached him, but he seemed cool...

I'll PM you with details about UMass. Overall, it was a great experience.

And I am really attracted to how interdiscplinary the MALS is... Screw it, I'm going to apply. What's another $125, am I right??

Do it (both the application and tell me more about Amherst).

Make funding go now please! CUNY was closed for Lincoln's birthday today. Hopefully we hear something tomorrow or Wednesday. If there's any school I really need good funding for, it's the one in downtown NYC.

This. I am hating this waiting game for funding. Doesn't feel like an admit means what it should until funding is in the bag. By the way, we have similar research interests, very cool.

It's sort of... for lack of a better term interesting that CUNY admits so many and can fund so few, especially considering its location in downtown Manhattan. I basically cannot go unless I get funding. Guess I just gotta keep my fingers crossed.,, siiiigh nothing is free in this world, not even grad school acceptances.

I think, as early acceptances, we have a good shot at funding, but worst case scenario we'll have to teach. At least CUNY has a lot of branches = lots of available adjunct labor!

Congrats on your acceptance to CUNY. You will probably receive the Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowship (ECF), but don't get too excited--it's a pretty meager 18K. You'll have to take up some side work if you want to live like a grown up. I started at the Grad Center last year, but wasn't given funding--so I'm teaching a 4/4 load between three different schools (and boroughs!).

Congrats on your acceptance to CUNY. You will probably receive the Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowship (ECF), but don't get too excited--it's a pretty meager 18K. You'll have to take up some side work if you want to live like a grown up. I started at the Grad Center last year, but wasn't given funding--so I'm teaching a 4/4 load between three different schools (and boroughs!).

UGH a 4/4 load along with coursework sounds... incredibly trying.

I appreciate your confidence about my getting the ECF... I'm trying to stay optimistic, but it sucks that I haven't received the e-mail as of yet. I've been doing Brooklyn College on relatively low funds for the last year and a half and I'm making it work, so I think $18,000 isn't the worst thing I've ever heard. It's possible I could retain my tutoring job on the side for another $4000 or so a year.

I appreciate your confidence about my getting the ECF... I'm trying to stay optimistic, but it sucks that I haven't received the e-mail as of yet. I've been doing Brooklyn College on relatively low funds for the last year and a half and I'm making it work, so I think $18,000 isn't the worst thing I've ever heard. It's possible I could retain my tutoring job on the side for another $4000 or so a year.

Totally. It's absurdly cynical of me to dismiss even the most meager stipend (plus tuition is free at CUNY as long as you teach at least 2 classes a semester). You'll be fine. The funding is amazing for the first year because no teaching is required. As you continue through the program and you're required to teach a 2/2 load for your 18K, the "stipend" gradually becomes a salary for adjuncting (which I guess they're assuming we won't notice...). Still. It's a great program. And you're already familiar with CUNY culture, which will makes the transition much smoother.

Totally. It's absurdly cynical of me to dismiss even the most meager stipend (plus tuition is free at CUNY as long as you teach at least 2 classes a semester). You'll be fine. The funding is amazing for the first year because no teaching is required. As you continue through the program and you're required to teach a 2/2 load for your 18K, the "stipend" gradually becomes a salary for adjuncting (which I guess they're assuming we won't notice...). Still. It's a great program. And you're already familiar with CUNY culture, which will makes the transition much smoother.

I think you'll get the ECF too, and to answer your earlier question about the email itself, it seemed like it was a mass email in that it was quite basic, but was personally addressed, so there's still a chance. 18k and an invitation to the March 16 meet and greet thing. I don't know how you can do New York with this kind of funding, and I don't know how I would ever manage to finish in a reasonable number of years with the teaching load they expect of you plus extra to make up for the paltry funding. I love the faculty and the location, but this is definitely a tough one. Must put thinking cap on...