CUNY FL12 Acceptance

Thought everyone should know a clarification about the teaching that I hadn't heard about. The ECF requires you to teach 12 credits per year, but they can be divided up a number of ways. Comp course workloads are typically 4 credits (though I heard some talk that CUNY pathways might be trying to reduce it to 3), so if you were to teach all comp courses in a given year (as I imagine one might in year 2), you will probably wind up with a 1/2, not a 2/2, which sounds a little better. If you're teaching a combo of lit and comp, you will probably have to teach a 2/2 to meet the 12 credit workload requirement, since lit courses are only worth 3 credits. However, I wonder if I taught a combo of lit and comp and wound of with, say, 14 credits in a year if I'd be compensated for the addl. work or allowed to save up the credits toward another year? Huh. I'll have to ask.

If you can't do that, I think teaching the 1/2 comp during coursework, and then teaching 2/2 lit during exams and diss, is probably better than teaching 1/2 comp all the way through. For the experience.

Edited by poeteer

Thought everyone should know a clarification about the teaching that I hadn't heard about. The ECF requires you to teach 12 credits per year, but they can be divided up a number of ways. Comp course workloads are typically 4 credits (though I heard some talk that CUNY pathways might be trying to reduce it to 3), so if you were to teach all comp courses in a given year (as I imagine one might in year 2), you will probably wind up with a 1/2, not a 2/2, which sounds a little better. If you're teaching a combo of lit and comp, you will probably have to teach a 2/2 to meet the 12 credit workload requirement, since lit courses are only worth 3 credits. However, I wonder if I taught a combo of lit and comp and wound of with, say, 14 credits in a year if I'd be compensated for the addl. work or allowed to save up the credits toward another year? Huh. I'll have to ask.

I did a little further research, and it seems that you would be compensated for additional credits taught. My impression is that 18,000 is the minimum payment per year. The fifth year non-teaching assignment comes with 20,000.

Edited by The Aged P

Really? I thought they were just offering 12 credits max, and anything additional would be you teaching as an adjunct.

I think that's essentially what The Aged P is saying. You get compensated for any addl. credits taught /w adjunct wages.

If it were possible, I'd love to be able to save the addl. workload credits and put them towards a 1/1 or a 1/0 at some point.

Edited by TripWillis

Okay, everyone, so what's the deal? Incoming cohort drinks? What classes y'all taking? I might blow my mind with a theory triple play, but also wonder if I shouldn't try to branch out of my field as much as possible in the first year... sooooo many questions. I'm sure you all feel the same way.

I'll be attending to the HLBLL (that's short for Hispanic LusoBrazilian Languages and Literatures) program, but I guess sharing some drinks and thoughts with you all wouldn't hurt. I'm currently teaching CCNY and I have been living in NY for 7 lifes years now. Let me know if you're getting together!

Okay, everyone, so what's the deal? Incoming cohort drinks? What classes y'all taking? I might blow my mind with a theory triple play, but also wonder if I shouldn't try to branch out of my field as much as possible in the first year... sooooo many questions. I'm sure you all feel the same way.

I'm in! I'd love to meet some/all of you before August...I didn't do a great job mixing at the open house. And it looks as if at least a few of us are already in NY.

I'll be attending to the HLBLL (that's short for Hispanic LusoBrazilian Languages and Literatures) program, but I guess sharing some drinks and thoughts with you all wouldn't hurt. I'm currently teaching CCNY and I have been living in NY for 7 lifes years now. Let me know if you're getting together!

I had no idea such a program existed! But of course all incoming CUNY literati (LusoBrazilian, English, otherwise) would be welcome.

Even just the keynotes -- wow. Thanks for posting this.

That sounds awesome. I wanna go.

Yah. Seriously. Seriously seriously. And, with any luck, I will be participating from the inside... if they'll have me. I'm definitely gonna propose something at the very least, and volunteer regardless.

Edit: How on Earth did they get Jasbir Puar and Judith Butler AND Rabih Almmedine as keynotes? That's many keynotes... many. :blink:

Edited by TripWillis

Yah. Seriously. Seriously seriously. And, with any luck, I will be participating from the inside... if they'll have me. I'm definitely gonna propose something at the very least, and volunteer regardless.

"Undergraduate submissions are also encouraged."

I'm even more interested now. I might just have to submit something!

Spivak is speaking at the Grad Center on Friday the 27th. Anyone going?

I LOVE HER. I wish I lived in New York.

I made my (high school) students read excerpts from "Three Women's Texts..." and I almost had a revolt on my hands.

(Edited because I apparently can't spell "her." So embarrassing that I have to admit it.)

Edited by anxious_aspirant

I think I'm going.

Cool, let me know!

That woman has more presence than any human being I've ever encountered in real life. And I met President Clinton.

+1.

I LOVE HER. I wish I lived in New York.

I made my (high school) students read excerpts from "Three Women's Texts..." and I almost had a revolt on my hands.

Revolts in the class are always a good thing in my book.

I need to get into this program haha -- this is TOO exciting, all of this. Oh my. One year from now, I'll know -- can't wait.

I swear that eventually I'll make the time to respond to your PM. If LGBTQ, 20th C, and interdisciplinary are what you're into, CUNY is just sooooo ideal.

That woman has more presence than any human being I've ever encountered in real life. And I met President Clinton.

That's such a neat, interesting comment. Now I want to go to CUNY too so I can meet all the cool people they bring there (Spivak, Butler, etc).

Everyone, I'm totally going to submit a paper to the Homonationalism conference that CUNY's hosting next year. It probably won't be accepted, but I'm certainly going to try anyways. So...maybe I'll see some of you there?