CUNY FL12 Acceptance

It was me. David Richter emailed me individually as we're both 18th centuryists. This leads me to think they are deciding period by period, so don't fret yet!

Whew! Okay. I was a bit worried about it being a mass email. Relieved now. CONGRATS!!

Just caved and called the English department to ask for a time table as to when notifications will go out. I was told that early acceptances are going out this week, but more acceptances will continue to be sent until mid-March. There were nearly 300 applicants this year... *Gulp*

I taught freshman comp in my masters program and loved it. I'm happy to teach.

I do too! I think a 3/3 course load simultaneous with full-time coursework, independent research, comps, etc. might end up killing me, but hell... that's what we all should expect when we sign on the dotted line, eh?

Whoa! They require TAs to teach a 3/3 load?? Or is that what you think it'd take to live/feed yourself in NYC without a stipend? I know they take so large a cohort they're often unable to fund everyone (beyond tuition) so they encourage adjuncting, but is 3/3 required even if you're lucky enough to get a TAship?

CUNY is an awesome program, but I think their cohorts are traditionally large and you should expect some teaching. Amazing faculty though...

I know. This is the only downside at CUNY. Keeping it going for 5-6 years or 7 or 8 is an exhausting prospect. It's the only think keeping CUNY from being my #1 choice. Exhausting as the proposition of a working PhD would be, I'm sure whomever manages to finish their PhDs are like full service combat PhDs.

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

Whoa! They require TAs to teach a 3/3 load?? Or is that what you think it'd take to live/feed yourself in NYC without a stipend? I know they take so large a cohort they're often unable to fund everyone (beyond tuition) so they encourage adjuncting, but is 3/3 required even if you're lucky enough to get a TAship?

I assume that if you're a GTF your teaching load is only 2 courses a semester, but if you have to adjunct with a remission to pay your way through, it's definitely a 3/3 load you're looking at. I currently work for CUNY and make $3,800 per section per semester. $7,600x3 = the cost of living in New York approximately.

I assume that if you're a GTF your teaching load is only 2 courses a semester, but if you have to adjunct with a remission to pay your way through, it's definitely a 3/3 load you're looking at. I currently work for CUNY and make $3,800 per section per semester. $7,600x3 = the cost of living in New York approximately.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. That's bananas! Do you happen to know how many current PhDs are there under these conditions? I imagine plenty do it, but I can also see how it's a turnoff for folks. Damn, though -- I'd totally do it if I got in. I teach five sections right now (puke), and I think I could be comfortable doing 3 and taking classes. Busy busy, of course, but likely worth the sacrifice. Well, to me anyway.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. That's bananas! Do you happen to know how many current PhDs are there under these conditions? I imagine plenty do it, but I can also see how it's a turnoff for folks. Damn, though -- I'd totally do it if I got in. I teach five sections right now (puke), and I think I could be comfortable doing 3 and taking classes. Busy busy, of course, but likely worth the sacrifice. Well, to me anyway.

I could deal too, especially if it were three sections of the same class (ENG 1 or 2, for example). I don't have a good estimate of how many, but I know some students in the Sociology department (a little larger cohort than English) who are unfunded and do a 3/3 to get by. Then again, that's a lecture-based class -- they don't have to grade 450 papers (plus revisions... 900???) a semester.