CUNY FL12 Acceptance

I could deal too, especially if it were three sections of the same class (ENG 1 or 2, for example). I don't have a good estimate of how many, but I know some students in the Sociology department (a little larger cohort than English) who are unfunded and do a 3/3 to get by. Then again, that's a lecture-based class -- they don't have to grade 450 papers (plus revisions... 900???) a semester.

Sure, of course -- I assume they'd all be the same class, too. Hm. Yeah, I've been weighing their funding (assuming I'll be lucky enough to get an offer next year), and think I could deal, too, if I was left without the fellowship. Bah, I wish I I didn't find this board until next year -- I'm already anxious to apply/hear, and I still have at least a year!

I'm from NYC, and that was a major deterrent for me when deciding whether to apply. I'm currently in a funded MA where I teach a 1/1 and sometimes I find that even class prep for 1 section detracts from my own scholarship. Though teaching has been an invaluable experience that I have overall enjoyed and wouldn't trade, I have to say, I'd love an acceptance with a fellowship year, to have a few semesters to focus more on me. In any case, one of the sticking points with CUNY's funding situation is the travel time between jobs. Even if they help you find work you could be going between boroughs and that definitely doesn't lend itself to quick, easy travel!

I'm from NYC, and that was a major deterrent for me when deciding whether to apply. I'm currently in a funded MA where I teach a 1/1 and sometimes I find that even class prep for 1 section detracts from my own scholarship. Though teaching has been an invaluable experience that I have overall enjoyed and wouldn't trade, I have to say, I'd love an acceptance with a fellowship year, to have a few semesters to focus more on me. In any case, one of the sticking points with CUNY's funding situation is the travel time between jobs. Even if they help you find work you could be going between boroughs and that definitely doesn't lend itself to quick, easy travel!

JMA, you make a very good point. I know at my current MA program, when you TA a class, a professor might waste any amount of your time they like in meetings. I'm not currently having this problem, but some in my program are. Needless meetings + prep time + travel time. 3 classes sounds pretty bad. Do PhDs ever just get a day job/office job?

I just got an e-mail from Robert Reid-Pharr congratulating me on my acceptance... to... the... CUNY... I... total state of shock. Too much unbelievable craziness.... head exploding...

Good luck to everyone else!! This is like a dream come true!

To those who received acceptances-- your email was sent directly to you from a faculty member in your field and was not "official," correct? I'm splitting hairs right now because I need hope...

To those who received acceptances-- your email was sent directly to you from a faculty member in your field and was not "official," correct? I'm splitting hairs right now because I need hope...

It was sent directly from a faculty member. Another note of advice: if you are currently a CUNY student at Queens, Hunter, Brooklyn, etc., check your WebPortal e-mail address. That's where I was notified and I was not expecting the e-mail to come there at all. It was NOT the contact e-mail I put on my application. Good luck cquin and grunty! I'm really pulling for you!!

Cuny is killing us all. Good luck, Tripp! I know you started this process with real doubts. I hope two early notifications will propel you toward great scholarly things!

Thanks Grunty. I think no one is more shocked about this stuff than I am. I'm really pulling for you, man.

It was sent directly from a faculty member. Another note of advice: if you are currently a CUNY student at Queens, Hunter, Brooklyn, etc., check your WebPortal e-mail address. That's where I was notified and I was not expecting the e-mail to come there at all. It was NOT the contact e-mail I put on my application. Good luck cquin and grunty! I'm really pulling for you!!

Trip, you just made me frantically log into my Hunter webmail, only to see one new message.......... From the Dean of Students.......... About a new lactation room for nursing mothers they just built.

Trip, you just made me frantically log into my Hunter webmail, only to see one new message.......... From the Dean of Students.......... About a new lactation room for nursing mothers they just built.

Oh Jesus, if I could tell you how unbelievably angry bureaucratic CUNY e-mails have made me this semester... every time I saw one I was like "ADMISSION????" Even if the subject line said, "CUNY Budget Letter" or "Parking Lot Closed 02/01/12-02/09/12."

Hopefully, they're just trying to lure you in by telling you about new amenities before they accept you. Lactation room - this is the school for me!

Hey friends (and potential cohort-mates!).

I got my email today at 4 (CST) after a day of despair, so I hope all of you who haven't heard just got a slow-moving prof. Congrats to all the people who made it! I'm excited to get to meet you.

I'm quite concerned about the funding cuz I heard it's not great. But I've always wanted to try freeganism ;)

Anyway, congrats again! Good luck to everyone who still hasn't heard!!

Hey friends (and potential cohort-mates!).

I got my email today at 4 (CST) after a day of despair, so I hope all of you who haven't heard just got a slow-moving prof. Congrats to all the people who made it! I'm excited to get to meet you.

I'm quite concerned about the funding cuz I heard it's not great. But I've always wanted to try freeganism ;)

Anyway, congrats again! Good luck to everyone who still hasn't heard!!

Hello! I notice you also got into Northwestern. I had really been considering applying there, but it's pretty top-tier and I already had quite a few of those on my list. Congrats! I wanted to work with Dwight A. McBride, but who even knows if he teaches anymore now that he's dean?

I think, as early acceptances, we have a good shot at funding, but worst case scenario we'll have to teach. At least CUNY has a lot of branches = lots of available adjunct labor!