Plan B Suggestions

Hey there,

So I got my first rejection today, and although it was totally expected I realized I really need to cement some sort of plan b. Saying that I also realized I have no idea of what sort of careers to look into. I took that ridiculous career test my school career center offers and received suggestions of the clergy, business manager, and brand manager. They sound awful, just awful. Does anyone have any career suggestions for an English major? I interned briefly at a nonprofit and loved it. I'm a strong writer, love research, hate math, and wouldn't mind a job that didn't involve too much human interaction. All that sounds a bit like a personal ad, but I would really appreciate some advice from people who are/or who have been in the same boat.

I took a year and a half off between graduating and hopefully starting graduate school in the fall, and I looked around for employment a couple of times during that time. Most jobs I interviewed for involved editing or archiving, and having strong writing and research skills (and often even having a BA in English) were job requirements. Currently I'm working as an assistant editor, and I can see it being a career I enjoy, although I would still rather be a professor. I like editing because it involves playing around with words, and often involves writing and researching. It also doesn't have too much human interaction, since you mentioned that as a preference. But don't give up hope yet! There is plenty of time for plan A to happen :)

Edited by eriksmegs

If you're just finishing your undergrad, why are you so keen to establish a career? I'd suggest travel, living abroad, or just moving to a cool city you've always wanted to live in and get a job, any job. You'll have a better idea of what you really want to do with yourself after having some time out of school to think about what you miss most, etc. Just a suggestion...

You could teach English abroad in a foreign country. Gives you a chance to see a different side of the world but also get paid at the same time. Looks good on your CV too as you will have some teaching experience under your belt.

If you're interested in non-profit work, I would suggestion looking into the AmeriCorps (http://www.americorps.gov/). It's great! All the people I know who have enjoyed their experience.

Any way, it was my Plan B.

I second this. I did an internship with Americorps/the California Conservation Corps and it was invaluable. Also, for every year of service you get $5,000 in tuition towards any American program, which can really help if you don't get full funding, funding right away, or any funding at all for grad school. I'm also of the personal belief that helping marginalized/impoverished communities in our own countries is just as important as helping those abroad, and it's often neglected because it's not as "exotic" as working internationally.

I second this. I did an internship with Americorps/the California Conservation Corps and it was invaluable. Also, for every year of service you get $5,000 in tuition towards any American program, which can really help if you don't get full funding, funding right away, or any funding at all for grad school. I'm also of the personal belief that helping marginalized/impoverished communities in our own countries is just as important as helping those abroad, and it's often neglected because it's not as "exotic" as working internationally.

I second this. One of my plan B considerations for this year is Americorps. I worked at a charter school for years in their afterschool program and was under the impression for a long time that Americorps is entirely direct‒service work. An English BA friend of mine just got hired to to grant‒write for them, however, in New Orleans. There are positions all over the country for different aspects of the entity, and gaining writing experience is one of the things for which it can be personally valuable. There is also poverty, hunger, educational deficiency and need everywhere in the United States. It's a great service for those of us who are talented and capable, who have the skills to earn relatively high wages and work in abstract fields, to do whatever it is we can to help ameliorate domestic suffering.

500x_rlsbig.jpg

Edited by Julianne Pigoon

Thank you all so much for the advice. This is all such a weight off my mind, and that americorp suggestion sounds exactly what I am looking for, with editing for a nice plan c. And also, thank you for the heartening advice not to give up on plan a.

How about some ghostwriting? Nicely paid and it's definitely industry-related experience ;)

http://chronicle.com...content/125329/

You know, I actually did this for a while after undergrad, before going back to school. It's really a terrible job, even if you research and write very quickly. I worked for a nasty company (the woman who ran it was pure evil) that paid basically nothing (less than 40% of what they charged the client went to the writer, who did all the work). Hours and hours of research and writing about crap you don't care about for basically no money.

Plus there was the ethical dilemma--there were many topics I simply wouldn't write about (no personal statements or essays, graduate assignments, or papers about ethics or religion). Eventually I quit because I felt guilty and it wasn't worth it.

It's an interesting article, but I'm not sure I buy everything the author says--the amount he/she claims to put out would require almost ceasless writing (one of the commentors breaks it down to 1,000 words per hour, all day, every working day of the year), which doesn't leave any time for research or notes. I don't care if you're the Doogie Howser of paper-writing, you still need to spend at least some time researching (not to mention keeping up with all that correspondence). Even without research, it only comes out to around $13/hour, which is less than garbage-collectors make. Not worth it.

For me (personally)

plan A: doctorate (applied, no responses)

plan B: JET (applied, first interview in two weeks)

plan C: teach at community college (appying)

plan D: spend the year doing prep for a second round of applications while focusing on my Tae Kwan Do and general weight loss/health improvements. And read every book I've said I was going to but never did.

I am seriously considering law school. Someone talk me off the bridge, please.

Oh, god. I took my LSAT four years ago intending to go to law school...then I moved in with a law student for three years, and started dating another one for two. Needless to say, the contact anxiety was reason enough to completely abandon that plan--and that was before they even started studying for their bars. Both would constantly complain about law school being a huge blow to the ego, and what a frustrating transition the first year and a half was because you have to completely rework your academic frame of reference and think in a way that is apparently excruciatingly unconventional. You're also taught to throw everything you know about writing out the window, another huge reason I didn't end up following through down that route. If you think this process is miserable, from what I'm told the law school app process is literally 1000% more competitive, and so 1000% more anxiety-ridden--and I believe it.

That being said, I still often find myself wishing that I had it in me to become a lawyer, and as long as you're informed of the stress, extreme anxiety, and unrelenting competition in the field (things I know people are going to point out are also unbearably present in our own), I think you should do it. Could be fun :)

re: "Shitty Market"

Law school *may* be a bit easier to get into right now (some programs have expanded given how many people have started applying), but the law market is not any better. Because of the economy, there has been an influx of people into law programs over the past few years and the elevated yield in lawyers has exacerbated the disparity between bar-cerified attorneys and careers for them. It's nearly impossible to get a law job in California right now, and the pass rate for the California bar for February 2011 was over 50%, which is unheard of. There was a lot of speculation about the fact that since there weren't any jobs anyway, the Bar just decided to pass more people to give them a break. Disclaimer: I'm by no means an expert on any of this, it's just stuff I've heard from my lawyer friends, and I'm not sure if this is only limited to California. Just thought I would share.

Edited by andsoitgoes161

If you think this process is miserable, from what I'm told the law school app process is literally 1000% more competitive, and so 1000% more anxiety-ridden--and I believe it.

Law apps are intensely competitive as well as crappy--absolutely no doubt about it, I would not want to go through it myself--but the admission rate at Harvard Law (exceptionally competitive) is about 13%. Compare that with top English programs, which are almost always around or under 10% and often closer to 5%.

Though! I am told by contacts in more than one adcom that English apps across the board were down to more normal levels this year after 2-3 years of the highest volume the PhD app market has ever seen. Hence admissions are back to normal (5-9% accepted vs. 1-5% for the last few years at the places where I have contacts).

Food for thought! Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Edited by Phil Sparrow