Glass half full?

Seems like I'm not the only one who's been completely pummelled this week. The only glimpse of a silver lining happened just this afternoon, when a classmate told me about a PhD friend of hers who had gotten rejected from a bunch of English jobs. She said, and I quote, that there had been "800 applicants for a single job opening".

I laughed and laughed and laughed. Hey, if I don't get in to a PhD program, then I'll never have to worry about the phenomenonally crappy academic job market, am I right???

So what's your "glass half full"? Let's cheer ourselves up, people!

Seems like I'm not the only one who's been completely pummelled this week. The only glimpse of a silver lining happened just this afternoon, when a classmate told me about a PhD friend of hers who had gotten rejected from a bunch of English jobs. She said, and I quote, that there had been "800 applicants for a single job opening".

I laughed and laughed and laughed. Hey, if I don't get in to a PhD program, then I'll never have to worry about the phenomenonally crappy academic job market, am I right???

800???? I hope she was speaking figuratively.

Gosh... now I WANT to go to a school with heavy teaching responsibilities.

800???? I hope she was speaking figuratively.

Remember why we're doing this, guys. It's about the excitement of fresh paper and used books, the smell of dust on the shelves in the corners of the library where no one else wanders, and the realization that our interests are so obscure that we will be the only ones who gleefully re-read our dissertations post-publication to highlight the two brilliant sentences.

Sorry, TripWillis. Didn't mean to freak you out! I just have been deflecting those kinds of OH BUT THERE ARE NO JOBS OUT THERE catastrophism comments since I decided to go to grad school, and today was the first day when I decided to laugh at it instead.

Remember why we're doing this, guys. It's about the excitement of fresh paper and used books, the smell of dust on the shelves in the corners of the library where no one else wanders, and the realization that our interests are so obscure that we will be the only ones who gleefully re-read our dissertations post-publication to highlight the two brilliant sentences.

Oh, I remember why I WANT to do it. That's not the problem. It's the fact that no one's taking me up on my offer! Hence the thread. :(

But seriously, no one has a glass half full to share?? I mean, I,love Southern California but even I'll count as a glass-half-full for my UCLA rejection that thank God I won't have to try to subsist in LA on UCLA's meager stipend. Whew! Bullet dodged.

Nevermind that it was my #1 choice. Never. Mind.

Sorry, TripWillis. Didn't mean to freak you out! I just have been deflecting those kinds of OH BUT THERE ARE NO JOBS OUT THERE catastrophism comments since I decided to go to grad school, and today was the first day when I decided to laugh at it instead.

Oh, I remember why I WANT to do it. That's not the problem. It's the fact that no one's taking me up on my offer! Hence the thread. :(

But seriously, no one has a glass half full to share?? I mean, I,love Southern California but even I'll count as a glass-half-full for my UCLA rejection that thank God I won't have to try to subsist in LA on UCLA's meager stipend. Whew! Bullet dodged.

Nevermind that it was my #1 choice. Never. Mind.

Glass half full: If/when you get in, you have to start worrying about how the fuck you're going to live up to being the scholar you sold them in your SoP, which was 105 drafts. Until then, the romance of grad school is still intact!

Edited by TripWillis

Glass half full: If/when you get in, you have to start worrying about how the fuck you're going to live up to being the scholar you sold them in your SoP, which was 105 drafts. Until then, the romance of grad school is still intact!

This. Also, since I was rejected from Brandeis (not a good fit for what I want to study, but threw it in anyway) my fiance has less clout in his attempts to convince me that we should live in Waltham. I spent five days there and it's definitely low on my list of places I want to live someday.

This. Also, since I was rejected from Brandeis (not a good fit for what I want to study, but threw it in anyway) my fiance has less clout in his attempts to convince me that we should live in Waltham. I spent five days there and it's definitely low on my list of places I want to live someday.

HAHA! Waltham is not so bad... but it's essentially cultureless. I like that Mexican restaurant there, what's it called?

HAHA! Waltham is not so bad... but it's essentially cultureless. I like that Mexican restaurant there, what's it called?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

I grew up in Cambridge. We used to eat at that place all the time ;)

Oh man, I refused to even try it. I'm from California and we have some AMAZING Mexican food here. My friends who have grown up here and moved away have literally cried when eating burritos elsewhere. I'm scared :unsure:

Oh man, I refused to even try it. I'm from California and we have some AMAZING Mexican food here. My friends who have grown up here and moved away have literally cried when eating burritos elsewhere. I'm scared :unsure:

You know, having lived in both Boston and New York, I can at least say that BURRITOS : BOSTON : : PIZZA : NEW YORK. I've never had burritos in California, but Boston is very much up to the challenge!

Vancouver has no Mexican food, in case any of y'all were considering UBC. Well, there are a couple upscale Mexican restaurants and then one taco place...so basically there's no Mexican food.

What's worse though, having been raised in California, is that I have recently learned that I can't eat Mexican food for weird dietary reasons. I'm almost dreading my next trip home for that reason.

:( Hearing that actually makes me hurt inside.

I KNOW. I practically live for burritos when I'm visiting home, and now I can't eat half of the ingredients. I can't eat pizza for the same reasons, and while my stomach is happy, my brain is SO VERY SAD D: D: D:

Hell, that's another glass-half-full about Austin - I couldn't eat most of their delicious, delicious food anyway.

Edited by antecedant

You know, having lived in both Boston and New York, I can at least say that BURRITOS : BOSTON : : PIZZA : NEW YORK. I've never had burritos in California, but Boston is very much up to the challenge!

As a Chicago native, I have to say that NYC Pizza = barf. Chicago style pizza FTW!

I KNOW. I practically live for burritos when I'm visiting home, and now I can't eat half of the ingredients. I can't eat pizza for the same reasons, and while my stomach is happy, my brain is SO VERY SAD D: D: D:

Hell, that's another glass-half-full about Austin - I couldn't eat most of their delicious, delicious food anyway.

Do you have a gluten allergy?